• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jvc ja-s55

Northguy

Active Member
Picked up a JVC JA-S55 integrated amplifier today. I found all the specifications that I need to know online except I cant seem to find what year it was made. Does anybody know what year it was made? Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks mhardy, I figured it was around the late 70's but not being to familier with JVC I didn't know for sure. I was going to try it out tomorrow to see if the old girl works or not, but my wife informed me we are going out of town for a couple of days tomorrow morning to visit her Father for Fathers Day, so it will have to wait a few days. Looking forward to sneaking away monday morning and hitting all second hand shops in the big city though.
 
I had a JA-S22 for a little while. Liked it a lot and I was stupid to sell it.

Yours is the big dog in that JVC line. If everything is right with it you've got yourself a really nice piece. Good looking too.
 
I like the JVC amplifiers, tuners, and (yes, even) receivers of that era.
Don't have any of the stuff, though.
 
Thanks again mhardy for the info. I just got home from the big city. I sure hope the JVC works well, I will try to test it tomorrow or the next day, I just lost two days in the office so I will be swamped for the next day or so. I will update this thread after I test it, I will keep my fingers crossed till then.
 
I had a JA-S22 for a little while. Liked it a lot and I was stupid to sell it.

Yours is the big dog in that JVC line. If everything is right with it you've got yourself a really nice piece. Good looking too.

I have a JA-S22 and use it most days, I'd miss it too.

An S55 would be great, hope it works well Northguy.
 
I have the JA-S77. It sounded great when it worked, and it looks beautiful. Unfortunately it had some issues and is now in my ever growing "repair" pile.

This thread makes me want to get it back up and running again :yes:.
 
I really wanted to try out the JVC today, so I worked my butt off and I took 45 minutes this afternoon to give it a try. First, before I hooked any speakers or cd player to the amp I plugged it into the wall and turned it on, after a couple of seconds I heard the relay click but it did not look like any meters lit up. So I turned it off and hooked up my test speakers and an old sony cd player that I use to test with. Turned everything on and put in a cd, when the cd counter was at ten seconds I slowly turned up the volume and heard all kinds of crackling and static and only the right channel was working, but after fooling around with the balance control and the volume control the left channel kicked in and all the static and crackling went away.

It sounded really good, I played with pretty low volume for about 30 minutes and for the last 15 minutes pretty darn loud. The amp didn't get hot just a little warm, has really good power and sounds great, cant wait to try it with some better speakers than my test speakers. She is a dirty old girl so after a good cleaning she should perform and look a lot better. Not 100% sure if the meter lights are burned out as it was very bright in the room, I will be able to tell for sure later in the day when the room darkens. So far everything seems to be sounding good though so I am one happy camper.
 
I had to replace the meter bulbs in mine, easy enough to do. One channel also dropped out intermittently until I used some contact cleaner on the switches. Chances are your unit needs this too. I also found a copy of the service manual and adjusted DC offset, probably worth investigating.
 
Some good advice there A400. Can you tell me how the meter bulbs are attached, for example soldered, clips, screw in, etc.? Thanks.
 
I have the JA-S77. It sounded great when it worked, and it looks beautiful. Unfortunately it had some issues and is now in my ever growing "repair" pile.

This thread makes me want to get it back up and running again :yes:.

Always replace the speaker relay in these amps, trust me they ware out after all these years and need it badly. cleaning will do you no good.
 
Always replace the speaker relay in these amps, trust me they ware out after all these years and need it badly. cleaning will do you no good.

YES! After thorough cleaning and adjusting I was able to narrow it down to the relay.

Do you have a recommendation on where I can find a replacement?
 
Back
Top Bottom