• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jvc ql-y66f

glenn5656

New Member
Does anybody know anything about a JVC QL-Y66F? What are they worth? What type of maintenance should be performed on one? What type of cartridge do you recommend? Are they any good? How does one compare to other turntables?
Thanks
glenn5656
 
Register to hide this ad
Your six answers in order:
1. One of the best JVC made, many consider it a grail TT. :thmbsp:

2. Worth more than a QL-Y5F, of which I have two. Specific amounts might get this thread moved. :nono:

3. Low maintenance due to high quality. Keep it clean and away from heat. :smoke:

4. Ortofon MC series cart well-regarded, or any other hi-end cart will work. :music:
5. Any good? F`n run and grab it if avalable. :banana:

6. As good as most any other vintage grail TT. I`d trade two of my nicer units for this one. :yes:

Here are the otherwordly specs on it: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-y66f.shtml
 
Thank you. This helps alot. Is a Shure V 15iii or V15 iv or a Ortofon MC 20 any good? Which one do you recommend if any?
Thank you
 
Hey Now,

I got mine last summer from the original owner. I got a turntable in very good condition, both tone arms, 1 head shell, a Shure ML140E mounted, a JVC MC-200E new unmounted, counterweights, a DiscWasher kit with a Milty ZeroStat gun. I got very lucky on this one 8^).

It is a very nice sounding deck. There are some enhancements you can do to the plinth and base to reduce resonance.

I like mine very much. It is my go to auto TT for sure. I still have plenty of life in the Shure so haven't mounted the JVC MC-200E yet.

--
Finest kind,
Chris
 
Last edited:
What is a good cartridge for this turntable?
Shure V 15iii
Shure V 15iv
Ortofon MC20 super

Are any of these any good?
Should i get something else?
Thanks
 
What is this turntable worth?
It is in excellent condition, but it has 2 dents in the wood corners in the rear corners of the turntable. it comes with only the straight tone arm.
Thanks
Glenn
 
Is it a good turntable? Yes, actually it is way better than "good". It was my holy grail TT for years, and I could never find one.

One sold on that site for around $900.00, $50.00 more than I had available to spend. And I would have spent it if I had it.

Then I got lucky and found one in Montreal for a reasonable price so I drove there to get it.

It is a masterpiece to behold physically, absolutely beautiful piece.

Sonically superb.

Moving coil carts on a DD TT, no problem.

Grado carts on a DD TT, no problem.

Sound is absolutely sweet, smooth, with gorgeous mids and detailed highs.

Bass is pronounced without being overwhelming.

All this from a 25 year old TT that still looks good today, and will look good 25 years from now.

Value is hard to pin down, but in pristine condition with both arms I would be willing to pay over $750.00, but if I get it for less, no problem. Everyone wants a deal, but they're few and far between when you're looking for a specific piece. I got a Y55F at a garage sale for $100.00 with both arms and in very good condition, except that the dustcover needs polishing.

Keep a constant eye on Craigslist, as you will find better deals there and avoid shipping issues.

You cant go wrong with one of these.

Cheers
 
Sorry Eric, but I`m going to say minimum $300 in current working condition even w/o S arm (find one later) and slight damage. If those dents are in the back bottom corners, I wouldn`t sweat that detail. If someone really wanted it, it would go for close to $500, though you are approaching what a perfect Denon DP-60L or Pioneer PL-630 fetches.

All those carts are superb. The MC20 is probably the best, but you need a moving coil (MC) input on your gear. What`s nice about the Shures is that you can put a $15 stylus in for testing used records and put a $60-120 stylus in for more critical or enjoyable listening. If the stylus on the Ortofon gets too worn or damaged, it would need to be sent in for a rebuild and isn`t cheap. I own all three and my fave of the bunch is the V15-III. I`ll have to put that on my QL-Y5F now and give it a spin. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom