• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kabuki sinks to new depths (or soars to new highs)

I wouldn't be surprised if behind some of those covers there was just a port instead of a driver. Saw that trick once on a BOTL pair of Sony APMs.

The JBL-ish cheesegraters definitely have a cheap cone midrange behind them. Probably the same story for the tweeters (despite them looking like the JVC/RS leaf tweeters).
 
With all this interest, I might have to buy them and flip 'em here on Barter Town... :D

Lee.
 
Many people also feel compelled to look at traffic accidents and videos where guys get whacked in the crotch, but it doesn't mean we want one ourselves. :D
 
Those make me want to buy em and stuff them into the back of my car...wire them full range to a pull out tape deck and blast a Getto Boys tape like it's 1992 all over again...
 
Comon guys, they have adjustable tone controls, so I'm sure you could make them sound just right in ANY room!!! :thmbsp:

First on page 3!!!!
 
Last edited:
They look like they might come alive and attack you...

If this was 1976 and I was under a certain mind altering substance, I think I would be very afraid of those speakers.
 
I would buy them. There, I said it.

Then I would swap out the woofer for one with a chrome dustcap. I mean, c'mon what were they thinking, leaving that out?!?
 
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it seems a waste of thread counts to start a new one. Ladies and Gentlemen, from the same Goodwill store, I present their latest Kabuki speakers!

On first inspection (from about 10 feet away) of these GPX wonders, it looks like a 2-way design, with an aluminum cone tweeter with a chrome colored dust cap. Closer inspection reveals this is nothing but a molding in the silver painted plastic front "baffle". I haven't seen this blatant fake driver-ness since the Amstrad stack systems that were sold in England in the 1980s. For Americans, think of the worse GPX or Soundesign systems, and then you're on the right lines. I didn't see a grill for these, so maybe they could justify misleading people about the extra tweeter by putting it on show for everyone to see?

Price for these excellent speakers? $39.99. Oh, and I assume that was each, since I could only find the one.

Lee.

Kabuki2.jpg


Kabuki3.jpg
 
The amount of fakery is incredible.
I kinda dont get it tho.If the fake is meant to resemble something expensive,they are trying to appeal to people who probably know the difference between **** and shinola.
If trying to fool the uneducated,they dont know anything about the good stuff being faked.(what it even looks like)

Its like the designer certainly knew what to copy but who was he trying to fool? ;)

I understand kabuki...giant woofers,fill the entire face with drivers...it looks impressive.
I have messed around with a few examples of kabuki...some pretty good even...but never better than if they hadnt gone that route.

Some were just completely horrid...and only a model or two away from one that didnt completely suck.

The fakery tho...thats just low...and stupid. :)
 
Kabuki speakers?

I wish there were a selection like that in my town.
The largest selection of speakers are usually pickup truck double cabinets speakers with one speaker missing and the other one torn.
Equipment ranges to Emerson stereo stuff to other low level junk.
I guess this area just doesn't hold anything like a vigorous audiophile community.
CL has not much better covering El Paso and Las Cruces.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Paul
 
Back
Top Bottom