• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kappa6.1 refoam and info

Since the woofers are soldered in you either have to clip the wires or heat the connectors to reflow and pull them off at the same time. When it comes off like this it can spray the solder all over the place so yeah, cover the surroundings to avoid damage.

I used this kit since it was only $15 and $2 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-KA...286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d5d654ee

I think I ended up using aileens for glue. Contact cement could be better, it's pretty cheap at a hardware store. I've done some "tests":rockon: to make sure those surrounds are glued on good, which they are.
 
Here are photos so far . It is going to be a slow process .
Ive decided to take my time and diw ..
( without AK i would never even consider ) ( my initials are AK )

#1 I attempted to pull off clips but they seem to be glued and also looks like a bit of solder holding them in and they wont budge
What is the best way to remove them .?

Just a bit of back story .. ( cautionary tale )
The surrounds were actually fine before I started to mess w them
( if it aint broke dont fix it ! ) If you notice how dark the surround appears it is because about a week ago I thought :
" I wonder if theres a way to " Moisturize " the surrounds so I WONT have to replace them any time soon ?
" HMMM " How About Canola Oil ??? ! ?
OH THIS IS BRILLIANT ( WAIT TILL I BREAK THIS ON AK )
" No Cholesterol no Trans Fats .. good stuff ? Right ?
Everything seemed hunky dory and they looked nicer w the darker surrounds .. ( I felt 1/2 way smart for a day and a half )
Then I thought "Oh the cones are a little dusty , Ill just spiff them up a bit "
So I took a soft cloth and didnt realize that part of my rag was hanging down over the surround as I was buffing . and when I picked up the rag I saw it was black and that I had rubbed off enugh material to have created the crack ( you can see my feeble attemt in desperation to apply silicone . when i did that it totally fell appart .. so now no music for a while but it will be good to give them new life ( They do that for me every day )

FIRST THING is to get drivers disconected . I still cant figure if I can get the binding clip to release or if I should cut wire above . ( I have never actually removed a driver before ( from any speaker ) so I want to be sure Im doing things right . How do I get the wires off terminals ?
(((( NOTE TO SELF ))))
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO RE INSTAL WOOFERS AND SOLDER CONNECTIONS BE SURE TO PLACE A BARRIER BETWEEN TERMINAL AND WOOFER CONE . ONE DROP OF SOLDER AND DISTASTER STRIKES .

Don't clip the wires if you can avoid it. These are called Faston connectors and have a progressive crimp that holds them rather tight. In this case, Infinity or someone else also soldered them. You'll have to position them so that the driver is steady and won't tip over (like face down). Have good light so you can see where everything is, have your soldering station close by with a wet sponge to clean off the tip, and some good 60/40 or 63/37 rosin core solder with a good flux for electrical connections. Have a pair of long needle nose pliers handy. If you have a right angle needle nose pliers that will work too.

If there is a fair amount of solder on the terminal/connector, then remove some by heating and applying solder braid or a solder sucker device to pull excess solder out. You really want a minimal amount of solder to deal with.

The idea is normally to grasp the neck of the connector just above the crimp that holds the insulation and wire. Then clean off the hot solder tip, then apply a small amount of solder to wet it (tinning it). Then press and hold the flattest part of the solder iron tip to the head of the connector. If hot enough, you should see the solder melt. Hold it for an additional 2-3 seconds, then rock the connector side to side while also pulling away from the driver terminal - The motion will do two things - it will start to slide the connector off and it will disrupt the crystallizing of the cooling solder joint, making it less mechanically strong.

If the connector doesn't come off with the first attempt, let it cool (the wire needs to cool a bit so it won't melt the insulation too much). Then repeat again with a fresh clean tinned tip and rock away. Should come off within 1-3 attempts. Repeat for the other side. Be sure to take photos or mark the driver and wires so you know how to put them back together again.

Since the woofers are soldered in you either have to clip the wires or heat the connectors to reflow and pull them off at the same time. When it comes off like this it can spray the solder all over the place so yeah, cover the surroundings to avoid damage.

I used this kit since it was only $15 and $2 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-KA...286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d5d654ee

I think I ended up using aileens for glue. Contact cement could be better, it's pretty cheap at a hardware store. I've done some "tests":rockon: to make sure those surrounds are glued on good, which they are.

As for the "cleaning" with canola oil (!) and then silicone (!!), obviously the surrounds may have already been compromised or didn't like those materials. Importantly, you must be sure the cone is completely free of oils, solvents, or other materials which will interfere with proper glue adhesion. IMG is Injection Molded Graphite, my understanding is a polyproplyene cone with graphite fibers - generally it should be fairly able to resist most solvents but I would start first with a moist rag with a little, very little soapy water (dawn dish detergent in water) and clean the cone lightly of any silicone and old stuff.

See this thread for comments on cleaning and prepping IMG cones. There are comments about the type of solvents used, and importantly, the type of glues to be used. I would be cautious about contact cement because of the solvent in it, unless there is documented EXPERIENCE with it as a proper and usable glue. Some refoam companies includes specific glues for use with poly cones or cones other than paper. So review what other AK members have used successfully or get the correct glue from the refoam supplier for IMG cones.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261274
 
Oh, and once you have new surrounds on it, clean only with a slightly moist wipe, no oils or solvents, or preservatives, etc. You may want to download the infinity owners manual that might discuss care and treatment of the speakers and drivers.
 
Send them Home

Watkins in Kingsport TN

http://www.watkinsstereo.com/

That way they you know that it will be done right.

A prior owner of my 2Bs did a reform. Only after I had the speakers home and tested with a bass sweep did I realize that he didn't center the cones accurately on 2 of the 4 woofers. Sent all 4 to Watkins. Redone perfectly (even cleaned up prior guy's sloppy glue). Quick turn around and reasonable cost.
 
This is EXACTLY why I treasure AK .
Jindra : Thanks I know you have the 6.1s and I am so glad I mentioned "NOTE TO SELF " As soon as I saw the connectors thats what I thought ( apply iron to clip to release while pulling with pliers ) but then the specter of the DRIP entered my mind .
and now you have confirmed the validity of that conscern by cautioning about " WILL SPRAY THE SOLDER " ((( YIKES !! )))
( while I have never done ANY work on speakers I DID bring my beloved B+O Form 1 headphones back to life when they were cutting out by opening them up and re soldering connections )
SO in order to assure I get them pulled off ( Rather than cut wires ) Im going to make a platform out of foam core board and fit it under the terminal and the cone just in case ) ( see mr murphy , you have trained me well )
Mech : I know you have heard this before but ,I can not thank you enough .
You are very generous to take time to so carefully explain things .
KEN ( Oh Sage ) THERE IT IS " SEND THEM HOME " . Your experience with a bad refoam on your 2bs is very valuable . And thanks so much for the link . Dont know if you have read through posts regarding pros wanting to remove and replace dust cap ( inverted in 6.1 ) and my conscern about that . Will watkins KNOW to keep them as they are or should I be sure to confirm that they would not mess w cap .
Sorry I have vasilatedso much between diy vs pro but Kens advise seals the deal for me ( As long as I know they will not touch the caps thats what Im going to do . I dont want to think I can just FEEL my way to center the vc and find out later that my babies are sick .
Since I have free time today my only project is to get the woofers out of cabs by applying heat to terminals . Will take photos if i run into any snags .. Will also contact link ken provided to confirm no touchie dust caps
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
 
sorry not ken kev

No worries :-)

They will absolutely preserve the caps. Give them a call. You can talk to Bill Watkins directly... nice guy. The other thing that Bill pointed out after I sent him the woofers is that the foam used by prior owner was wrong (too compliant). He actually called me after about a week to apologize that it was taking longer than typical (I had not noticed). He said that the hardened glued left by prior owner was a bear to get off. So, one of his guys had to work overtime on them.. no extra charge. Still, turn around time was like 10 days if I remember correctly. He then called me when they were done to let me know they were on there way to me. Perfect service.
 
Thanks . Having trouble getting the clips to release . When I apply iron it seems to bond the two together . see photo . It looks like even if i get it off ( the one thats really melted ) which is questionable , it will be misshapen to the point where it wont slide back on . so it seems like my only oprtion is to cut . I tried to take ultra close up to show current state ..
AS to sending out : I looked at the watkins site and while I love the isea of what hes saying . that he does to highest standard ANd AMAZING that you can actually speak with THE MAN , BUT when i saw his prices i got less excited . ( I paid 200 for the 6.1 needing no work ) and they want like 130 + shipping .. !!!
I called Simply Speakers and looked at thier site . Their price feels better but still a small chunk . 76 for both + shipping . That was a surprise .
Now the choice is order surrounds from them ( including correct adhesive )or send to them for what amounts to 67 in labor cost .. Perfectly reasonable cost given work involved but more than expected ..
Anyone think theres hope to get the clips off still useable in current state or should i just cut ?
 

Attachments

  • Terminal A.jpg
    Terminal A.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 24
After trying several times to get clips off no matter how i applied iron or wiggled they woulnt move ..rather than apply too much elbow grease I cut them .. Oh well
Re my previous question re Simply Speakers and if they would automatically forgo dust cap ( Or if Id have to make a MAJOR point about it ..) When I told the guy that they were from 6.1 w inverted cap he assured me they would never remove the cap on these .. While I would love to save the aprox 50-60 bucks by diy I have many times kicked myself for trying to cheap out and having to pay more in the end ..
In this case I would pay Very Dearly
I plan to watch some more of thier and other refoams on youtube but pretty sure ill just send to them . I would not forgive myself if I did inadvertant damage ( a slip here or slip there and I am in total panic mode ! )
I dont want to Compse My Own Version Of the Tread where Mech helped a wayward soul when the ((( REFOAM PANIC ))) struck hard .
( "First Refoam Problem " )
Thank You All very much !
 
I pulled the trigger and ordered surrounds from Simply Speakers .
The more videos I watched the more I realized its easy . I was conscerned about getting vc centeric wrong . But having viewed the tutorials from SS and elsewhere they bareley even mention it or show conscern Not one has used any test tone or other method to center . When face up it seems pretty much self centering .. The main thing is SLOW and easy does it ..
Now Im Commited . But Im " Sure " it will be fine .
Prayers - Salutations - Wishes - Incantations Are Always Welcome .
May The AK Force Be With Me ..
Am going to start cleaning process tomorrow in prep for arrival of surrounds .. Muchas Gracias !
 
Thanks Doc
Have one nicely cleaned . My little genious move " cleaning "the cone with canola oill left a nasty residue . But it came off with alcohol and the cone is nice and clean now . Ready to bring second one to this stage .
BUT The youtube video Im using as reference uses an 8 " from a strerlng . cone looks excatly like img BUT it has a different plastic edge that holds things together . In video it shows him prying the edge off from the front .
Taking great caution before proceding w each step and dont want to crack it in trying to pry it off . The seal in front is so tight that I cant get a chisel in there to start prying it off .. Does the one in the 6.1 come off the same way ( looks like it might pry off from the back ? Anyone know best way to pry off this particular model ?
 

Attachments

  • refoam 1.jpg
    refoam 1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 21
  • refoam 2.jpg
    refoam 2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 26
You can jam a carboard cutter blade between that ring and the metal of the woofer. Pull it out and move it over a bit then do it again going around the woofer, it will eventually come off.

I don't really understand the point of soldered on clips anyways, soldered wire to the posts is enough already.

I'd highly recommend running the test tone while the glue is very soft still so it gets its magnetic center.
 
Last edited:
I wish I'd seen this when you 1st posted it but...

The clips could / should have been pried off with a small screwdriver with the blade placed at the small 90* angel seen at the tip (very end) of the spade connector.

After getting them disconnected off to Simply Speaker and their guarantee.

Sorry that this was "too little, too late" but hopefully it might help the next Kappa X.1 re-foam guy out.
 
Thanks jindra . I just wanted to be sure i was proceding correctly before pryning continued .
OK so being a neophyte : Exactly what would I do to test center w tone .?
I dont have any audio gear other than shown in signature . Would I have to purchase something for that ? ( cant just hook my receiver uo to single driver ?? right ) Please explian ..
Im just kind of using the video i refer to as my model and his process was real simple .
Now that I AM diying moot point w terminals and guarantee from SS for re do . ( I ordered them wed eve and when i checked email next am they had already shipped so should have in next few days .. )
good now i can proceed getting them ready for surrounds . THANKS
 
Thanks jindra . I just wanted to be sure i was proceding correctly before pryning continued .
OK so being a neophyte : Exactly what would I do to test center w tone .?
I dont have any audio gear other than shown in signature . Would I have to purchase something for that ? ( cant just hook my receiver uo to single driver ?? right ) Please explian ..
Im just kind of using the video i refer to as my model and his process was real simple .
Now that I AM diying moot point w terminals and guarantee from SS for re do . ( I ordered them wed eve and when i checked email next am they had already shipped so should have in next few days .. )
good now i can proceed getting them ready for surrounds . THANKS

You can usually do a Google search, for Test Tones, and find something suitable. But, if that doesn't help, use some FM radio inter-station hiss (between stations), played at a low volume. Anything with a continuous sound, not something with a rhythm, that will cause the woofer cone to move!

Good luck with those trim pieces too! They can be a pain to remove. I heated my woofers, on an oil-filled space heater, to soften the trim ring glue, to help!
 
My question is how do i hook up to test with equipment i have ( I DONT HAVE A BENCH I CAN PUT THE CABS ON ) I just removed the drivers and the cabs are standing in place . What I did to remove was place a chair in front of speaker to lay face down while disconnecting .. Sorry , I seem to be in weeds ..
YES Those suckers are on there TIGHT . I had A bear just getting my putty knife under there to start process . every time i insert it in there it gets stuck and takes great force and wiggling to free . Applying elbow grease to something adjacent to the cone and all worries me greatly . If I slip while applying such force I could f up in an instant .. had to take a deep breath and walk away for a while .. I could feel my blood starting to boil ..
Im heading to h depot to buy a pring tool ... I am reminding myself to go slow and stay cool ...
 
As previosly noted , Watkins wants $ 130 + shipping !! 150 for refoam when speakers cost 200 ?
Simply Speakers will do it for about 90 including shipping .. still enough to keep me on diy track
** I watched simply speakers instruction videos and not one showed use of test tone or anything . They just remove old align and glue new one in .. perhaps they do it afterward but it isnt mentioned or shown
BUT I definately want to be as safe as possible w centering via tone . I just dont understand how its done ..
I would be concerned shipping at this point with no support for cones that if box were dropped during shipping it could do ireperable damage ..
for now im just going to take my time with this difficult step of getting the parts seperated ..
 
Back
Top Bottom