• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Keep Klipsch Chorus 1 or Make open baffled Speaker with Cambridge soundworks T500

Jordan D.

New Member
So I aquired a pair of Klipsch chorus1 for 300$ that were in bad shape and tweeters didnt work. I also got a Pair or T500 for 100$ but i am not a fan of the look and have always had an interest in having a open baffled speaker(specs say they go down to 22Hz with their powered sub). For the Chorus though I have put in Crites tweeter, recapped the crossover, and am in the middle of having hickory/pecan veneer put on the stripped cabinets.

I have only been an adiophile for about a year but recently went to the Tampa Audio show and really loved the magnepan .7 that they had. I had the idea to maybe sell the Klipsch and use that money to get the LRS, or go out on a limb and make my own speaker but just wanted to see peoples opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Building DIY speakers for many years, it's a great hobby. My 2 cents; the first few home-designed speakers aren't keepers.

Go with the Maggies and build a Sub.
 
The only real down side to DIY, is they are hard to sell, and never really worth more than the parts you use to build them, where a big name like klipsch or magnepan should bring some people to you
 
I started with a horn based speaker 47 years ago, moved on to try Magnepan but did not like the narrow sweet spot and limited bass, and they like to be pulled out into the room several feet to sound their best. Have considered open baffle, but that requires space and not good with cats. Had many speakers come and go (still have a bunch that need to go), and have come back full circle to horns (Cornscala) because of their efficiency rating they sound great with tube equipment, for which I have much of. Those Klipsch Chorus 1 can be made to sound excellent with a little effort, the Crites offerings are a good start. I have a pair of Chorus 2 speakers with Crites updates that will probably stay with me.
 
Last edited:
Yeah that was my only issue I had when I was considering the DIY. I like the idea of it all but if I'm not happy with the results it would be hard to resell. That or I'd have to keep the cabinet and just put everything back to resell(and I dont really have the room for that right now). I am going on monday to a local magnepan dealer to hear the LRS and to see how small the listening position really is. For the .7 I was really surprised by how large it was compared tohow much people ragged on then for that and compared to a pair of martin logans I've had as well. The chorus after fixing up really d sound much better and I plan on moving them to a larger room. I cant push them past -25dB right now without getting too much feedback from the room(another thing I am slowly working on)
 
I have no idea what a T500 is but for OB's to sound good they require special drivers.

If you have the skills to DIY it's always best to duplicate a proven design.
 
Back
Top Bottom