• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF Folks - What Model Should I Start With?

SiliconTi

Super Member
OK, It looks like I need some KEFs. I have listened to the LS50 and was impressed, but prefer floor standers. So, that would be a good model to get? Lean towards the 104/2 as it does not need the Kube to work. I'd consider the 107 w/ Kube for the right price. Can't stand the looks of the 105.

Is the Q worth my time?

Opinions from the KEF fans out there?
 
Register to hide this ad
Why are you looking for KEF's when you pushed a set of 105 out of the way for as set of Universities? Yeah you do not like the look but have you listened to them?

The 105's are one of the Iconic speakers from them that you do not need a Kube to make them sound good.
 
I would stay away from any older uni-q as they usually have tweeter failure. 105/3 or 104/2 are nice but usually have internal foam rot! 105's excellent never sell speakers to me...
 
I have learned a lot since that episode.... That will not happen again.

FWIW: I did not buy the Universities that day.
 
The 104/2 do not need the Kube EQ to work, that's true, however they do in fact work better with one than without. Internal foam rot is easy to fix, don't let that be a deterrent. If the tweeters are blown they can be replaced with a Morel tweeter with a slight modification, if not blown just replace ferrofluid. The 104/2 is a wonderful speaker.
 
107s are selling at VERY affordable prices these days, and they don't "need" a KUBE to sound great! The KUBE's an option for the R107 & R107/2, only adding a few htz of low base extension, and a slight amount of "driver matching circuitry".
I've gone for months without using mine, simply because I didn't bother wiring it up... 90% of the music I listen to won't reveal it's loss in base, and I've never been able to hear any benefit of the "matching circuitry".
 
Last edited:
Vintage Meridian
Meridian_M10_3_AllegroSound.jpg
 
I must say, I have the 105.1 speakers (circa 1974) and after a recap have stopped looking to upgrade the speaker path... only problem, pretty hard to come by... depending on your system and listening preferences, I think it's one of the best from KEF.
 
104/2's, can't go wrong and not all have foam surrounds, mine don't. You will need the litte dust cones most likely and the ferrofluid. I need to do mine yet. Try to verify tweeters aren't dead if you find a pair.
 
OMG! if you don't like the looks of the 105's, send them to me! i'll ''endure'' the looks!.
105's are a landmark system.
 
Hmmm... I know of two pair of 105s, one here and another I'd have to chase down. Agh, I do not like the looks though. I do like 107s, but are rare around here, 104's are easy to find.
 
Back
Top Bottom