• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF Folks - What Model Should I Start With?

Somehow or other the Mach 1s have a following. I wouldn't have them if they were being given away.
 
Would love to hear some Blades. I think the Blade 2's are "somewhat" affordable? Like around $10k, used? I know, that's stretching the definition of affordable...but if I sold all my other gear, I might be close...that kind of affordable, lol. Of course in that price range, now you've REALLY gotta look around, consider all options, and audition (obviously). I really don't know what I'd buy if I had $10k to spend on speakers. Blade 2's? Maybe? Harbeth? Wilson? KEF Reference Series (new ones)? I wish, lol.

I should mention my focus is vintage so odds are always in my favor. Cost of equivalent or competitive in new gear is way out of my league.

Oh, the Kappa 9s are also better than the 105.2 due to the top end.
 
Last edited:
I had a pair of 104/2, 105s, and ESS AMT 1aMs all at the same time for a little while. I already had the ESSs and found a pair of 104/2s, which were my second choice dream Speakers. Then I got the 105s. ABed them all together and kept the 105s. I found the bass was better on the 105s than either of the others. But there were multiple reasons I decided on the 105s.

1) the 104/2s were in mint condition and made of very fine quality teak, and I knew I would be cursing myself every time one of them got a ding.
2) the 105s were less expensive and had a comfortable wear to them
3) I found over time, that although the ESSs sounded stunningly good, I got ear fatigue sooner with them. I could listen to both sets of Kefs as long as I wanted without ear fatigue.
4) the 104/2s needed the donuts and the ferro-fluid. The 105s didn't need anything.
5) bass was best on the 105s.

I've read all kinds of critiques online about all these speakers, and I found the majority were not true in my experience. However, I am always reminded of a pair of Bose 901s I auditioned that were being driven by a 30 watt receiver. They didn't sound so good with that amp, but plug them into a high current amp and they came to life! All three of the speakers I mention above need some pretty good current to sound as they were designed to sound. I sold the 104/2s to a friend of mine, and he is running them on a 30 watt per channel Onkyo. I know what they should sound like and I told my friend they need more power to sound their best, but he just won't do it. He keeps insisting they sound fine as they are. Too bad, because they could sound so much better!

I guess my point to all this is, your own hearing will tell you what you need to know, whether you like them or not. But make sure you have the right amplification before you decide. Otherwise, you may end up making a decision based on bad information.

Btw, I keep the covers on all my speakers, the better to prevent little fingers from being tempted to touch things they shouldn't be. I think the ESS had the most unique look, and my wife did really like how they looked. Good luck with your hunt.
 
Whatever decision you make. all the speakers you're considering if you buy used will hold their value. you can buy one set listen a while then sell it for another set and you probably will lose little money in doing so. if it were me I'd get the LS50 first. I think they'd be the easiest to sell. if they don't do it. then sell them and get the more vintage KEFs. I've found it's really easy to move gear up until you start paying more than $1k after that it's harder finding buyers.
 
I think the newer KEFs were made in China and the quality suffers a little,( The Chinese bought KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W and so on) I would go for the older models. I have a KEF 105/3 myself and love it.

I thought that the high end was still UK made. Actually, I thought the LS50s were UK made, if not, I'm disappointed.

EDIT: looks like they are made in China. :-(

Rogers was purchased in the late 90's by a Chinese conglomerate who then shifted production to China. Some decent speakers are still being produced under that name, and their modern 50th and 60th Anniversary LS3/5a speakers were designed by British designers but from Chinese supplied but spec'ed drivers. Interesting that they still proudly proclaim British Audio on their labels though.

As for the LS50, its primary emphasis is on phase coherence and pinpoint imaging with the Uni-Q tweeter design. It's a bit larger than the LS3/5a for a stand mounted speaker so it can fit into decors and smaller rooms easily, and sounds really good with those attributes in mind. But even KEF cannot beat the laws of physics so those needing much fuller range of frequencies, low bass, or just "bigger" sound will opt for more or something else.

Same applies for the LS3/5a design, a great speaker for what it can do, but it can't do everything.

Thanks SmitterDave. I am interested, but it would kill an entire day that I just do not have available. May have to make time.

The audition is a big part of purchasing, especially if major time and decent money is being contemplated. Tough decision, wish you best of luck in deciding.
 
There's some KEF dogs like the Carina ,204 and Calindas and a few others.
104/2's would be a nice place to start and/or finish, imo.
 
My .02 and I may be double dipping here but, I have kef 105/3, 107/2, and a bookshelf pair of c-10's all working, all refoamed, in fact the 105/3 have a butyl rubber surround that will never rot, $100 per driver but those baby's sing and you're welcome to try any of them. KEF reference speakers are really fussy about electronics, even the big cuddly 107-107/2 really are at their best with upstream amplification, say used krell, ML, JR...then they need to play nice in your room. good luck bro.
 
I have a question to you Kef specialists :)

I have a pair Kef 104ab (with recapped crossovers) for some months now and like them a lot.
So I would like to know how those 104ab compare to the other models cited in this thread (104/2… 105…107).
 
So,,,,,, what did you end up with?

I have not.

I decided there was no rush, so I'll wait until a pair I really want comes up close enough to me to be able to try them first. I really wanted the Model 3s, but they were A) a full days drive round trip and B) they were only in "pretty good shape". That's a long trip to potentially arrive home empty handed.
 
I have not.

I decided there was no rush, so I'll wait until a pair I really want comes up close enough to me to be able to try them first. I really wanted the Model 3s, but they were A) a full days drive round trip and B) they were only in "pretty good shape". That's a long trip to potentially arrive home empty handed.

You may have dodged a bullet; I'd forgotten how big these Model 3's were while in the boxes:)


DSCF2204.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom