• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Kenwood KA-6000 recap questions

avguytx

Lunatic Member
Have any of you guys who own a KA-6000 integrated amp recapped them? If so, what caps did you work with? This integrated is from around 1969 so the caps are large for what their capacitance rating is and most anything new is a chunk smaller. (which isn't awful, of course) Below, I have listed the cap sizes for the power supply section. Obviously, some of the smaller caps that are located on the phono board, etc, are fine in staying their original calue or somewhere close to it; +/- 20% lets say. But on the main power caps, what can I step up in size some and not cause problems with the inrush of current?

Qty - - - - -Value/voltage
(1) - - - - - 4000uf 100v
(1) - - - - - 100uf 50v
(2) - - - - - 3300uf 50v
(2) - - - - - 100uf 25v


Or should I not recap it at all? Decisions, decisions.... (except the caps are 43 years old or so...) And yeah, I know I'm missing one of those little blue covers for one of the input lights. Finding that will be near impossible. And it also does have the wood side panels, too...as does the tuner.

As always, thanks for any input. Here's some pictures of the amp to show you what I'm working with. Yes, it's in damn nice shape and I also have the KT-7000 tuner, too. :thmbsp:

Not bad pictures for being taken with my new Nokia Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone, huh?

WP_20121216_003.jpg


WP_20121216_007.jpg


WP_20121216_001.jpg


WP_20121216_009.jpg


It'll be fairly easy to put "naner" jacks on it if I decide to go that route.
WP_20121216_011.jpg


WP_20121216_014.jpg


WP_20121216_016.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
This goes along with my choices on capacitors. The search function is your friend. Found this in about 2 minutes.

For your large clamped caps, you may be able to keep the original values and get the propper diameter, although much shorter... That fat sucker in the middle however, will be a little tough to find something that will fit... You might re-stuff that one, or leave it be if it is ok.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I've gotten the majority of the list together using Panasonic FM and FC caps and altered a few of the voltage ratings on a few obscure caps. It's those 4 main power caps that I need to research a little more. I wish I had a meter that would read ESR so I could check those but my Fluke only reads capacitance, resistance, etc.
 
Suggestion on the big on in the middle. You can buy a 4700 @100v in such a small package these days maybe just solder one to the underside by the terminals and leave the old can in there for looks.
 
I restuffed all but one of the big caps, I posted a thread about the restore with pics. Too bad about the missing lamp jewel, my kt7000 is missing the jewel as well. That's a clean example, you're lucky to own it. Once it's done you'll love it. It's also filled with the noisy dreaded 2sc458 transistors, while you're at it replace them all with 2sc2240's or ksc1845. And I do attest that they get noisy, my phono section was terrible before I replaced them.
 
Last edited:
You guys with the missing jewels need to get to get together and one needs to use some LEDs that stick out just right instead of the jewels.

I know how important those jewels are. My first tuner was a KT-7000 and those jewels looked cool, so maybe that LED sticking its nose out will not be the right solution especially if one wants the tuner and amp to match. Lots of jewels. But the option of color coding them makes this more interesting.

If teh Jewel just a chunk of machined rod plastic? Maybe the plastic supply house has something close.
 
Here's some pictures of the amp to show you what I'm working with. Yes, it's in damn nice shape and I also have the KT-7000 tuner, too. :thmbsp:

Not bad pictures for being taken with my new Nokia Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone, huh?
That is one clean KA-6000. It looks like it just came out of the original box. Very nice! And, those are really good pictures. Great work. :thmbsp:

You guys with the missing jewels need to get to get together and one needs to use some LEDs that stick out just right instead of the jewels.

My example of LEDs in place of the original blue jewels:

KA-6000i-side.jpg
 
That is one clean KA-6000. It looks like it just came out of the original box. Very nice! And, those are really good pictures. Great work. :thmbsp:

My example of LEDs in place of the original blue jewels:

Thanks very much. Both the amp and tuner are in great shape. I'm digging how good those LED's look in place of the stock jewels. The light is still behind there, and works, on mine but just the jewel gone. I'm doubting I ever see one of those come up on auction but I'm always looking for a parts unit...just in case. This amp and tuner won't really get a lot of mileage out of me as I mainly use my Carver and Soundcraftsmen setups which I have a lot more invested in. (especially my Carver M-1.0t with the MKII Opt 002 upgrade) But the Kenwood pair are definitely beauties and I imagine I'll keep them around like the pair of Sansui's from a similar vintage (AU-777/TU-777)
 
I restuffed all but one of the big caps, I posted a thread about the restore with pics. Too bad about the missing lamp jewel, my kt7000 is missing the jewel as well. That's a clean example, you're lucky to own it. Once it's done you'll love it. It's also filled with the noisy dreaded 2sc458 transistors, while you're at it replace them all with 2sc2240's or ksc1845. And I do attest that they get noisy, my phono section was terrible before I replaced them.

Thanks very much and I appreciate your input on changing out those transistors; I'll get those ordered along with the caps.

Speaking of on the transistors; where's the best place to order them from? What are recommended reliable sources? Checked with Mouser and it shows obsolete n those but does show the ksc1845FTA to be available for $0.20 each.
 
Last edited:
Cool beans. I only need 4 but would it be best to order more and then match the closest 4? They're only $0.20 each.
 
Check again, iirc I replaced 18. Amplifier board and phono board both have them. The board markings are bizarre and the 458's are the old school outhouse transistors-make a diagram of what pin is what before you replace-I know what a reversed 458 can do to an amplifier circuit, look at my yamaha cr-2020 thread. Bring it up on a 100 w dim bulb before you put in on mains.
 
Last edited:
KA-6000 jewels

Hi Folks,
I have about 4 complete jewels left for anyone needing one. I bought 6 of them from a guy on the bay who was parting out a complete face plate from a KA-6000. Some of the jewels seem to have lost some of the blue plastic paint or wrapping but I installed a couple of them when I was putting a missing jewel in my own KA-6000 and they don't look any different to any of the other installed jewels. Each jewel comes with 2 other little pieces as seen in the photos. Only thing is I live in Sydney AUS so postage will be a bit higher than normal. I sent one of them to a guy on one of the websites and it arrived to him intact just taped to a bit of cardboard in an envelope. Send me a message if you're interested, I looked for almost 2 years trying to find someone with a couple of extra jewels so I do know how frustrating it is to have one of those little things missing.
Cheers,
Jeff
 
Last edited:
Hi,
I think I have what you need. The little ring that almost looks like a washer?
If you send me your personal email address I can send you a photo. For some reason my pictures aren't uploading to the site.
I'd rather sell you the entire 3 piece set, (for each jewel), because anybody who loses a jewel is going to lose the outside ring too. Anyway I paid about $10 for each set so that's what I'd want to charge you. I know it's expensive but that's what I ended up paying all up. I think it was something just over $55 including postage for the 6 jewels.
If you're interested send me your email address and I'll send you pictures.
OK I found some pictures from a previous post here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6934073#post6934073
Cheers
 
Last time I sent one over to the States it was simply taped to a small bit of cardboard with a small bit of bubble wrap. You're looking at around $1.20-$2.00 max.
 
Back
Top Bottom