• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-8050 vs Concept 5.5

emedeles

Member
I am new here to the forum, have read a lot of comments but this is my first thread. Please be patient with me as I have only just started to collect vintage audio receivers and am not electronics savvy. I live in south Texas and there is not too much of a market for vintage receivers down here. I recently purchased off the bay three receivers in the last year or so. A concept 2.0 a concept 5.5 and a kenwood kr-8050. Before this I was listening through my computer via logitech z2300.

I have both the KR 8050 and the Concept 5.5, one puts out 120 RMS and the Concept 55 RMS. I have them running a pair of Cerwin Vega Towers E-712's.

I have noticed that at lower volumes the Concept bumps and has a more pronounced Bass than the KR-8050 with the same speakers. At higher volumes of course the Kenwood goes Crazy loud but to me that's not the point. I can't believe that the Concept just plain sounds better with these speakers and the sound just seems better. The tuner of course has no comparison, Kenwood IS better and so is the phono stage. Has anyone else experienced this? After reading all of the reviews I thought the Kenwood would obliterate the Concept 5.5 but it doesnt.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have the 9600 and the 5.5 and I really enjoy my concept, nothing against the pure power of the 9600 but the concept is very warm sounding and gets more play time.
 
The Concept line of receivers were well designed and well built units, sleepers to some. Your comments are not surprising to many Concept owners.
 
Thanks for your comments, yes indeed the concept does get more play time, it's more enjoyable and if it wasn't for the bare bone looks I'd say it was better in every way. I don't particularly dislike the fake veneer. It's the face that just looks too plain. Who cares, I'm in love.concept 5.5.jpg kenwood kr 8050.jpg
 
The 16.5... something I probably will never have, prices are crazy on the bay and I'm the guy that NEVER gets any good deals or cheap finds. I paid over 200 dollars for the 5.5 and I won't even mention how much I paid for the KR-8050.
 
I snagged mine in 08 with two pairs of large advent A1s for 225? I think at the time i only wanted the speakers didn't know **** about the concept line till I heard another guy say he was wanting the stereo and not the speakers, I was thinking the stereo was junk? Then I figured they must be pretty good and took the whole deal :)
 
Nice!

How do you like the Advents? I've heard a lot about them. I'm running Cerwin Vega E-712's. They get loud and have a lot of bass with little effort. I've read my speakers are "Party Speakers" as in not audiophile quality. I think they sound all right.
 
I like them with my concept, but I'm using my mach twos usually with it. My 9600 is picky to me it only plays well with my infinity sm152s I recapped which aren't to well liked even though they are extremely efficient 102db@1w1m. The advents should match my new sansui 5000x very nicely. They did sound great with my sansui au/tu 717 as well when I had it. They are good speakers especially for a 10" woofer? They really move some air.
 
Thanks man, it seems I have a great deal to learn and little money to buy equipment, as it is the wife is already making faces cause I already filled the living room and the bedroom. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me wildwill532.
 
Unfortunately it's becoming a very expensive hobby especially when you got to get a receiver restored. I'm getting my marantz 2600 restored, try explaining to your wife why you have to pay for that after you've already bought that big expensive bastard :rolleyes:
 
Unfortunately it's becoming a very expensive hobby especially when you got to get a receiver restored. I'm getting my marantz 2600 restored, try explaining to your wife why you have to pay for that after you've already bought that big expensive bastard :rolleyes:

Is yours the subject of the 2600 restoration thread?
 
I dunno, I'm very fond of my KR-8050 and yes the phono stage is excellent. I happen to play a lot of vinyl, so I have that going for me.
 
I dunno, I'm very fond of my KR-8050 and yes the phono stage is excellent. I happen to play a lot of vinyl, so I have that going for me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Have you noticed that the 50hz boost switch does not have a very dramatic effect? With my KR-8050 I noticed the 50hz boost to be mild and not really noticeable that much at low volume, is this the same with yours? Maybe mine needs some work?
 
sorry to hijack this thread but which input does one use to connect a CD or DAP into the Concept 5.5?
I dont see an "AUX" input.
 
sorry to hijack this thread but which input does one use to connect a CD or DAP into the Concept 5.5?
I dont see an "AUX" input.

No aux indeed but don't fret, no aux needed. you can use either tape 1 or 2, that's what I do anyway, I've read somewhere that a dedicated AUX can be installed if that is not enough for you but I connect my CD player to tape 1 and it sounds amazing.
 
I am writing this new entry to apologize for my previous rant starting this thread about the KR-8050. As it turns out, I sent my Concept 5.5 for cleaning and some burnt bulbs, also the tuner would only do mono not stereo. Well in the meantime I connected another kenny, my KR-7050 which is the smaller brother to my KR-8050. After a couple of days I started liking it and my ears learned the different sound. Also, I realized that my speakers wanted to distort about half way to the volume with the Concept 5.5 and it did sound loud but the speakers did not want to distort so much with the 80 watt KR-7050. I have connected the KR-8050 today and I am in love with it. The speakers never sound stressed and the sound is very musical including the bass and oh so loud, good loud, no distortion. Don't get me wrong, I'm never selling my Concept. I do need to match it with correct speakers but both my kennys are definitely keepers and as I stated before, the phono stage is better in the kennys.

I now realize that my initial problem was with understanding speaker and sound fundamentals and also my ears not being trained. Although I'm no pro by any means or audiophile for that matter, I will, in the future refrain from making rash comments. I am new to Hi-Fi but I'm loving it.
 
Back
Top Bottom