• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-8340 Protection No Click

ekimezeerf

New Member
Hello everyone! I looking for some help with a Kenwood KR-8340 Two Four Receiver. I've read through every post I could find about this family of receivers (KR-7340, 8340 & 9340) but haven't been able to narrow down my problem.

When I power up the unit with a current limited variac, I get no speaker protection relay click. After checking the relays with an power supply and verifying they work, I checked all other voltages I could and only found one thing out of place. Reading through the service manual on page 51 it states that if the center potential of the power transistors isn't at 0 volts, the diodes will detect the voltage and basically shut down the unit.

From what I can tell, the Diodes "read" this voltage from pins 6 & 7 which lead directly to the main Amp Board. These leads are reading ~4.5 volts on my unit, the diode array on the protection board is reading the same voltage.

Am I correct is thinking that there should be 0 volts coming from these pins? Is it this voltage that is turning on Qp3 and keeping the relays from operating?

If so, what's my next step in troubleshooting? Everything on the main amp board checks out fine. No shorted transistors, no blown resistors, all new caps...I checked the power resistors on the main output transistors, all seems fine. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
A-09 on the Protection Board? I have readings of the following:

Pin 1 = 0.110 v
Pin 2 = 0.052 v
Pin 3 = -0.012v
Pin 4 = 0.055 v

Not exactly 0 volts, is there adjustment for this or does it indicate something elsewhere?
 
Both pins 9 and 30 on the main amp board have ~3.87 volts.

Again, I assume this voltage should be 0 volts. I've tried tracing this voltage throughout the main amp board and all components test fine. No bad resistors, I've replaced all electrolytic caps, and tested all transistors for shorts. Everything looks great.

I may start replacing the smaller transistors on the main amp board.
Q1- 8 are 2SA620 - Replacement = KSA1015
Q 9-12 are 2SC983 - Replacement = KSC1845

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for the help so far
 
**SOLVED** On the protection board I installed Q2 (2SA1220) backwards. Re-installed in the correct orientation and now it works perfectly.

Watch those pin-outs everyone! I feel so silly and so relieved at the same time.
 
You never mentioned you had replaced it so how is anyone supposed to help?

Craig
 
Back
Top Bottom