• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood L Series Stack on ebay. No takers?

So I bought the power amps off of him. Let you know when they get here. I talked to the seller, seemed like a nice enough guy. Said he knew the original owner, and they were well taken care of but many years ago went into storage. That is why there is the rust, they were no where near water damage. Asked about the broken rca on the tuner but he didn't know, said it came out of storage like that. It didn't worry me much as I wasn't buying the tuner. Anyways I just wanted to say hello as a proud new L series owner.

Dan

Congrats Dan! You are in for a sonic treat. This is D&S. Perhaps you can tell us what you paid...AFTER they arrive.
 
Looking forward to a thread on your "new" L-09M's.

The pair I bought needed new fans (replaced with EBM Papst) and a complete recapping, including replacing the main filter caps. They're something special when up to snuff.
 
Congrats Dan! You are in for a sonic treat. This is D&S. Perhaps you can tell us what you paid...AFTER they arrive.

Sure!!! Well I was originally going to buy a kenwood model 600 from someone that is in great shape for $500. My dad found out I was looking for a new amp and said that if I instead bought a pair of L-07Ms or L-09Ms that I could have an L-07C preamp that he wasn't using (he knew I couldn't afford to buy two monoblocks and a pre). So I jumped on eBay and saw this listing. He had it starting a $600 plus $100 shipping and a bin of $800 plus $100. From what I saw it looked as though the $800 was a more than fair price and I didn't want to bid at $600 just in case someone else hit the bin or if a bidding war sent it over $800. So all in all $900 shipped to my door. I see he was selling the stack for $1600, then $1100 maybe??? He said the buyer flaked out. Then I saw another functional pair of amps sold for $1600 so I thought I was doing ok.

He said they are 100% functional with the exception of the meter lights (need new bulbs). He said other than the rust they are very clean, especially on the inside.

What do you guys think? How'd I do? It helps getting a free preamp. I plan on completely recapping both amps and preamp, changing tin can transistors, etc. I've done a few older kenwoods and pioneers. I'll have threads showing these restorations when the time comes.

How would you folks think this combo compares to the 600 supreme?

Thanks!
Dan
 
Chip off the old block. Very nice of your Pop to look after you. You did fine on price and you made the right choice. The 07M is a fine amp but it is conventional compared to the 09M. Here is the service manual:

http://elektrotanya.com/kenwood_l-09m.pdf/download.html

The 600 Supreme is also a fine amp. Both are special to listen to. I've paired Nines and a 650 with Yamaha NS-1000M's and thought both to be magical. The Nines had a slight edge in clarity and control, IMO.
 
Back
Top Bottom