• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Yes, the faceplate painting is indeed very good....because the lettering is all engraved it is easier to refinish units and transform them if they were scratched up. I think bjarnetv knows more about these black units.

Special hello to Theo and Glenn. I think Theo single handedly managed to bring the 700c into the spotlight....and increased its $$ worth in the process! Before I bought the 700c I scoured AK and actually found that these units went for two c-notes in 2001!

I bought it based on what I saw in the thread about the recapped 700c Glenn had posted. I will post a mini review after I get it recapped....although I will not be able to use the same language as Theo ;) It'll be in plain prose....unless of course it evokes all the emotion in me :jawdrop:


I am especially interested in how it measures up against the Parasound. We'll see how it goes....

The old saying,is;"Credit,where credit is due".

EW was talking about the 700C/M on this site before I even joined.His depth of knowledge about all things Kenwood,at the 'Vintage Solid State' forum convinced me to cease being a 'lurker' and to finally become a member here.It is entirely fair to state that it was EchoWars' championing of the 700 Supremes which absolutely prevented them from being the 'lost' TOTL series from Japan.

The story of how exclusive these items where is intriguing.Supposedly there was only one delership per continent which was able to take orders.That's correct.You had to order your 700C/M/T,then the factory made it/them.To ever know about these,let alone hear one,let alone own one is remarkable.AudioKarma,and the TVK pages,are really the resource for information about the Supremes.EW is the Grand Poohbah.
 
Yes, I agree EW was instrumental in getting the word out on these beauties. I never would have known that thread existed bjarnetv! The translation does turn out funny as always.

My 700c looked terrible in the seller's pics but a little isopropyl alcohol and effort made quite the difference.

Initial listening impressions: Treble is veiled, like I said before. But there is a cleanness to the music, maybe it is the old caps playing tricks...there is a sense of (I don't know what else to call it, someone help me out here!) "class A" quality as well. When I bought the Aragon, I had it hooked up to a pair of Polk LSi's. The ring radiator is....audio gold. I have not had the same experience with other tweeters and the Aragon, the treble was sweet. I can't explain it any other way sorry guys I am tryin hard not to get fuddled in audiophile terms. That sense of sweetness is there with the 700c as well. During loud hf passages though it becomes a little spitty regardless of attenuator position - on the Koss 'phones. Again, these are initial impressions. The tone controls are very good although the loudness control is a bit excessive in both settings. I can't say I will not be using them - I listen to music, not pristine SACD's all the time.

I am not sure if I should start a new thread or just go on about the refurb...I also have questions for EW, so someone please let me know.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Theo. I will edit my previous post and start a new thread.

I re-read my previous post and it looks like I could be accused of some poetic writing too what with the sweetness of the treble and class A sound :D
 
I think those black supremes are stunning! They look entirely different to me. The black is glossy, which tells me that it is some kind of enamel-based paint or a highly reflective plastic resin. And the white letter looks fantastic. Wow! I wish I read German.
 
I'm about to join this group! :banana:

A Model 600 is headed my way. I've been lusting for one ever since I heard one at an audition for some ADS L-1290s a couple years ago. Going to run it with a KT-8300 tuner and a Jolida JD100 CD player with B&W DM14s on the A channel and Dynaco A-25s on the B channel.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. Can't wait for my new (to me) toy to arrive.
 
Guilty as charged. My research seemed to indicate that the going price for a 600, at least on eBay, has been in the $500 range, so I know I'm paying a bit of a premium for it, but after losing out on several of them locally and on eBay over the past couple years, I finally decided to go for it.

Gonna need to sell off some of my sideline pieces, that's for sure.
 
hi guys - i have had the winter blues and a fed ex curse - but i am getting over it - hey, is my ka907 considered part of this sub forum? i have one - its headed to chris ready in PA - for ...uh....everything. i am going to pair this with the kenwood supreme 500 and use one for the front channels and one for the rear channels....but what is this "high speed" talk with the ka907? toe to toe - which one can beat up the other - and dont forget - neither amp will or is stock - all new everything inside....for the most part. chris ready in pa is dpoing this for me - i have 2 PMs asking for contact info - so here he is - ***EDITED BY MODERATOR, PLEASE SEND PERSONAL INFO BY PM***take care all - sansuigirl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys - forgot this - remember my completely restored and all that stuff i did to the kenwood supreme 500 - well, my '70s stylin' husband decded to scratch the front of it with his "keep on truckin' " belt buckle. i know youve guys have all tried and failed before - but who has success in getting that scratch out of the aluminum? any input would be nice (thats what she said)

thanks all - sansuigirl
 
Scratches are forever. Polish the front up with some car wax and live with it. Any attempt to 'fix' the scratch will result in making it worse, as you'll damage the anodized coating.
 
Got my 600 back to day. It turned it was only the on/of button that was faulty. The rest of the amp got a clean bill of health.:nutz:
 
Back
Top Bottom