• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Congratulations poorman!

For 700c and 700m owners, here are some links of interest:

http://www.hilberink.be/luxman/m4000/m4000test1.pdf

http://www.hilberink.be/luxman/m4000/m4000test2.pdf

http://www.hilberink.be/luxman/m4000/m4000test3.pdf

Sure was an interesting read!

Man, this is terrible! Certainly doesn't say anything nice about either of the Kenwood 700 series pieces that's for sure.

On second thought, this is great! maybe it will put some people off the Supreme track!
 
Man, this is terrible! Certainly doesn't say anything nice about either of the Kenwood 700 series pieces that's for sure.

On second thought, this is great! maybe it will put some people off the Supreme track!
I'm always suspicious of someone who publishes data as being accurate and objective but clearly has a few axes to grind. His last statement: "With the advent of such an amplifier as this, the class-A constitution which is extremely inefficient, is now regarded as obsolete from the quality aspect as well. Therefore the class-B operation will remain unchanged as the main circuit configuration hereafter." Now that is a big axe!:no:
 
Been a while since I logged on....I waited for someone to comment on that review lol

Well, this is just an example how listening tests can differ from lab measurements - an amp or preamp can measure average but sound awesome.

The reviewer can say what he wants, but we know the truth.:yes:
 
196406_10150106361746199_593496198_6770181_3320017_n.jpg


Here are my restored/modified 700M and 700C along side a KT-8300 and JBL 4311 at the office. A bit overkill but it sounds very nice with a low enough noise floor to have speakers a few short feet from my head.
 
I'll bet Lite FM never sounded so good.:D

Seriously, that's a very nice set-up. Wow.

I'll bet that somewhere,there's an aspiring 700 Series owner who is looking at that picture,thinking "That's what I want(:drool:) and he is using it as a computer system :tears:.......:sigh:"

:D
 
196406_10150106361746199_593496198_6770181_3320017_n.jpg


Here are my restored/modified 700M and 700C along side a KT-8300 and JBL 4311 at the office. A bit overkill but it sounds very nice with a low enough noise floor to have speakers a few short feet from my head.

Sweet. I'll bet not much work gets done at your desk.:music:
 
Sweet. I'll bet not much work gets done at your desk.:music:

Just don't tell the boss!

I'll bet Lite FM never sounded so good

That's actually the reason I brought the Kenwood units in to the office - I think the modified KT-8300 sounds better than the TU-919, TU-9900, or TX-9500ii I have at home. I listen to NPR in the morning and then sometime around noon I switch over to FLAC files fed from a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS.

If I had extra scratch I would spring for an outboard DAC but I am saving up for kid #2 right now :)
 
May I ask what mods you did to your KT-8300? :scratch2:

Removed bulan
Replaced RCA jacks with gold plated ones
Removed deemphasis - hardwired north american uS
Hard-wired to fixed audio out using stranded silver teflon wire
Replaced rectifiers with stealth units
Recapped all electrolytics, replaced some lytics with Polypropylenes
Removed output coupling caps
Added parallel poly caps to ripple filters
Replaced all opamps with Burr Brown mostly, but including the audio output with a Burson discrete opamp
Replaced resistors in key areas with 1% metal film - signal path with PRP 1% audio resistors
Replaced diodes (inc. zener) with fast Fairchild units

Then sent the unit off to Mike at RadioXtuners who added two filter adder boards using 7 matched filters.

Tuner was then aligned.

.04% THD, 26dBu sensitivity (stock values .1% THD, 9.3dBu sensitivity)


:music:
 
Last edited:
Matching Supremes

On a different note -

Was there ever a Supreme turntable? A recommended cartridge for it? I've looked and looked but the only "supreme" tt from Kenwood looks like the L07D, which does not belong to the series.

If there is no matching TT and cart, what are your experiences with matching a cartridge to the 700c? I ask more so because there is only a selectable input impedance feature with a single value capacitive loading (the 47pf, not the 2.2uF - I believe it's capacitance gets multiplied by gain - EW might know better).

The 600 ohm phono input - is that for a high output MC? Anyone tried one of those with the 700c?

Thanks for your replies....valuable opinions can be had here, I trust a lot of ears here :)
 
Count me in! :D Some of you were following this thread of my discovery and acquisition of a 700m and 700c, but if not, consider me a very proud new owner of some wonderful Supremes.

Serials, if anybody is counting:
700c 950126
700m 920277

They had been installed in a portable audio rack from day one (cords still wrapped by the factory). Unfortunately, the faces took some gouging on top from the rack rails, but overall, they cleaned up really well. I did have an issue with the volume pot on the C being frozen, but some penetrating oil did the trick, so she's smooth now.

I still need to go through and give all the controls a good cleaning, but I finally was able to listen to them last night and they were just wonderful.

My three test tracks:
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (always the first thing I play on any stereo)
Owl City - Fireflies
Tom Petty - American Girl​

Just those three made me understand what all the fuss was about with these units. I'd love to have EW take these under his wing at some point to give them the full spa treatment, but for now, I'll be well pleased.

Here's the 700c inside and out:

IMG_4770.JPG


IMG_4709.JPG


IMG_4713.JPG


IMG_4794.JPG



And the 700m:

IMG_4802.JPG


IMG_4766.JPG


IMG_4744.JPG


IMG_4743.JPG


IMG_4789.JPG
 
I see the damage to the top edge of your 700c faceplate. Get that faceplate over to a machine shop ..... and she will look pristine
 
Last edited:
I see the damage to the top edge of your 700c faceplate. Get that faceplate over to a machine shop ..... and she will look pristine

I am not so sure about the machine shop - of course, 700cmt probably knows better as he has done it. My reason is, the faceplate is anodized. The areas where it is scratched have no anodizing at the moment because the scratches removed the anodizing. When the machine shop takes off a small portion of the faceplate so the scratches go away, isn't bare metal (aluminum) exposed without the protective anodizing? Is there a way to anodize only that surface?
If there is, it has to match the rest of the finish as well. Complicated, but maybe possible.
 
I am not so sure about the machine shop - of course, 700cmt probably knows better as he has done it. My reason is, the faceplate is anodized. The areas where it is scratched have no anodizing at the moment because the scratches removed the anodizing. When the machine shop takes off a small portion of the faceplate so the scratches go away, isn't bare metal (aluminum) exposed without the protective anodizing? Is there a way to anodize only that surface?
If there is, it has to match the rest of the finish as well. Complicated, but maybe possible.

Hey Rad, Im only talking about the top, bottom, side edge surfaces not the actual face of the faceplate. Its not possible or cost effective to remove scratches without leaving some sort of scaring
 
700cmt, didn't mean to annoy, but I guess this is like the restoration camps (all out mods/restoration versus just enough to bring it back to life). I do understand the value of a clean face plate as scratches get to me. I sometimes wonder how anyone could handle equipment that way. I know you were talking of the edges only - that's where it all seems to come down.

If going the machine shop route, using a good polish like Mothers regularly might keep it looking pristine. Main issue would be moisture attacking the aluminum.

On some german forum I saw someone had posted pics asking how to remove the patchy oxidation from the Supreme knobs because they overzealously tried to clean them in a lot of water. Maybe they did not dry them well enough as I have never seen pure water cause much of that. I used lots of rubbing alcohol and it cleaned up good. Here's the link to that thread:

http://translate.google.com/transla...://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-17296.html

:)
 
700cmt, didn't mean to annoy, but I guess this is like the restoration camps (all out mods/restoration versus just enough to bring it back to life). I do understand the value of a clean face plate as scratches get to me. I sometimes wonder how anyone could handle equipment that way. I know you were talking of the edges only - that's where it all seems to come down.

If going the machine shop route, using a good polish like Mothers regularly might keep it looking pristine. Main issue would be moisture attacking the aluminum.

On some german forum I saw someone had posted pics asking how to remove the patchy oxidation from the Supreme knobs because they overzealously tried to clean them in a lot of water. Maybe they did not dry them well enough as I have never seen pure water cause much of that. I used lots of rubbing alcohol and it cleaned up good. Here's the link to that thread:

http://translate.google.com/transla...://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-17296.html

:)

No problem here Rad....The newly machined knobs that i had made for my 700c still look fresh. Im am concerned with the passing of time if the oxidation will take hold. Mothers polish for aluminum should do well .......let me know how it turns out
 
Back
Top Bottom