• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood tube or HK solid state?

ashedd

Member
I've been away from the forum while moving/transitioning.

I'm looking to buy a receiver for my original large advents . I realize I should push those OLA's with something with a little oomph than what I'm considering, but I'm not really looking for ear splitting levels. I would prefer a receiver for now just to simplify my living room setup, and keep others in the house happy.

I have the opportunity to buy an HK-430 or stay all tube and go with a kenwood kW-70/trio wx-400. Both are in nice shape, the HK is half the price of the KW. The KW would look much much nicer in my living room. Both have had controls lubed and work perfect. The kW has even had some caps replaced, unsure which.

The KW at my upper budget for such a thing. The HK is on budget, and reported to sound really good. But I'm not sure how it would push my OLA's. I'm really not sure how the kW would do either, but I suspect it is packing a bigger punch.

On a side note, I could perhaps purge some other tube radios/speakers to justify the added KW expense.

And thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Depends on what you really want. If aesthetics are important, go with the Kenwood. For moderate sound levels, both should be plenty adequate.

If you are on strict budgets and the Kenwood might strain that, Then the HK. But look at this way- if you can afford the Kenwood, and the appearance fits nicely with the room, it may be the way to go because there are other expenses that may pop up that prevent you from getting another decent amp for a long while, yet the same can be true if you go with HK, and you have something that may be a bit odd looking to you and you may end up having that nagging feeling that you should have just bought the Kenwood.

But as far as sound, I do not think you would be disappointed either way.
 
I would go with the Kenwood/Trio, but I don't know the OLAs. Can you audition your preferred choice first?

If you go with the tube receiver, do replace all the grey caps. All of them! :) It's not expensive if you do it yourself.
 
Thanks for the replies.

I pretty much ruled out the HK, this one at least, the 70's just isn't the look I want, although that receiver is praised on the boards. There is a sansui 3000a I could get pretty cheap, but again with the 70's look. I understand the 3000a is a nice sounding receiver from what I've read.

Back to tubes... The KW guy is not getting back to me, or is one of those really slow guys with emails. He mentioned having an extra set of tubes for it. Got my eye on a HK TA260 too. I don't really want to spend too much time on restorations though.. I've got plenty of radios that need fixed and purged.
 
I went with the HK TA260:yes:

Now I need to find out how the seller plans on packing this thing. I actually heard the mailman(lady) DROP a box on my porch with a Heathkit AA-32 in it once. Every single original Mullard tube was destroyed except ONE 12ax7, or something. I was pissed. Got the seller to give me some money back and I stuffed it with a matched set of sylvania tubes. That little amp is in storage halfway across the country, looks new though.

So yeah, need to make sure it gets packed good. Then I need to figure out how to "hide" such a large receiver from my spouse. I hid a console for quite awhile once. I need to recap that thing and sell it too. It should go pretty quick at my local midmod consignment shop, it's quite the looker.

I need to purge down to just my Grundig tabletop, Maggie console(9300 series), and this HK. Most the stuff I have are small AA5 radios. Also a couple speaker sets need to go too, dunno why I have so many Canadian speakers:scratch2: I just need to decide if my desktop test speakers will be my onkyo bookshelf's or my RSC Columbus Nina II's with rough cabs.
 
Last edited:
Trios , of that vintage had a bad habit of the volume going bad ( opening ) allowing the amp to oscillate ,taking out the output transfomers not to mention all the bad caps that need changing .

I have had two Trios shipped to me , both has the dial glass broken in shipment
:tears:
 
The Trio guy emailed back, doesn't know what caps were replaced. Won't budge on the $300 price, but it looks very very nice. It's in Seattle if anyone's interested. I'm looking forward to my HK arrival.
 
Back
Top Bottom