• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 5 2020 New VS Old

Actually ! With all the reviews here and YouTube web l'm ready to pull the trigger but my wife says NO !
You don't need another pair of speakers
Yes, at this point, with all that I’ve seen and read, I’m about ready to blind buy them as well.
 
I'm sure you'll be happy ! even Danny at GR research says there a great speaker, check out on YouTube under GR research/ KLH model 5

Have fun ! Don't forget to come back and let us know what you think
 
Erin's New KLH5 Measurements:
KLH Model 5 Speaker Review (erinsaudiocorner.com)
Discussion about his measurements:
KLH Model 5 review and measurements by Erins Audio Corner | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I'm seeing some strange results from the fancy new Klipple system that Erin and ASR are using so
take the measurements with a grain of salt. I'd look more at the listening window average response
and the predicted in room response.
Some of the guys at ASR said that the measured response was bad but I don't think that they actually
know how to read the graphs or realize that some smoothing is required to predict how they sound.
 
Last edited:
My speakers are far from mellow, and I do not see a lot going on in volume above 9000 like his chart shows which he says makes them a softer speaker BS; that's why I pay this crap little attention. I will watch a comparison between two speakers which is to get a sense of one I might like better is fine, but single speakers nope not there and cannot hear it so do not bother personally. Plus most people are not anal enough to test stuff properly anyway.

I have worked for many manufactures and testing is long, tedious, boring, repetitive work to weed out any possible things that could in any way skew results. 99 percent of people do not have this patience or will.
 
Perhaps the Klipple measurements are not as bad as I thought. Here is the New Large Advent
measured with the same system but by ASR:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ent-loudspeaker-review-vintage-speaker.24993/

Refer to the second CEA2034 Figure where the listening window curve clearly shows the lack of baffle
step that I've been talking about for years. 100 to 150 Hz is at about 84 dB and 500 to 1.5K (has to be
averaged) is about 87 dB showing a need for 3 dB more baffle step, but if you run the tweeter hot more
will be needed as compared to lower settings.
Also, the 42 Hz output is about 82 dB and as compared to the 100 Hz output of 84 dB is about 2 dB
down which is about right for a properly restored Large Advent.

I don't know how he gets the first Figure but it is not how the speaker sounds IMO, have to read more about it.
 
Applying the same thinking to Erin's CEA2034 figure for the KLH5 we see that 100-150 Hz is at about 82.5 dB
and 500 to 1.5K is about 85 dB showing a need for about 3 dB of baffle step.
42 Hz is at about 79 dB being about 3.5 dB down from the 100 Hz level and about 6 dB down from 1KHz
without adding more baffle step.
Scrolling way down we can confirm that the woofer tuning is at 42 Hz by the large impedance
peak, and zero crossing of the impedance phase - very good and the same as the NLA.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klh_model_5/

I'd like to hear listener impressions with about 3 dB more baffle step especially when the speakers
are placed out in the room. A MiniDSP would be an excellent way to try this.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom