• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH 5 Restoration Complete many photos

Wow amazing job! I'm very impressed. I'm also inspired - I have a pair of Yamaha ns-1000M's that need to go through a similar process. I think they might be rougher than yours were.
 
regarding the yamahas.... plan, take your time and dont try to do it all in one weekend. and go into it with the understanding that materials and your time will be more than they are worth. but that is ok, its a labor of love
 
regarding the yamahas.... plan, take your time and dont try to do it all in one weekend. and go into it with the understanding that materials and your time will be more than they are worth. but that is ok, its a labor of love

+1-Though some speakers will be worth more than what you put into them.
 
Absolutely beautiful workmanship zls1. Haven't seen anything like that in a long while. Btw, my mother-in-law was heavily into extremely expensive fine furniture restorations (done by professional$). And my father was a very skilled "weekend" furniture maker in his own right (both wood and upholstered). So, I'd like to think that I've seen and been around some nice wood work.

Meanwhile, I've got a bid hanging on a pretty rough pair of KLH 17s that I'd be happy to restore to 50% of how well yours turned out (they'll, of course, need a re-cap and possibly a cloth surround treatment beforehand).

Meanwhile, hats off to you!
 
those are cool looking speakers! great work! im guessing KLH speakers are good if they are on here. wish my Dad didnt tell me he binned a pair.
 
I have a set of Model Fours and, even though they are in fantastic physical condition, only the woofer works on one of them. They are a bigger pain to work on unfortunately, but I'll eventually get around to it. Great job by the way!
 
gd70 has a good point - i compare to restoring a car. Putting $35k into a 70 Ford Galaxy not going to give you a good return... you do it for love. as opposed to the same money into a Mach 1 .... a no brainer. love and return later.
 
Last edited:
I have a set of Model Fours and, even though they are in fantastic physical condition, only the woofer works on one of them. They are a bigger pain to work on unfortunately, but I'll eventually get around to it. Great job by the way!

Do those old 4's have the epoxied woofer like the 6's? When you get ready to get into them there is plenty here on the old 6's restore which is probably similar. 50% chance the bad tweet on the one is a bad cap and tweet is still good.
Sorry for going off topic ZLS.
 
Well I think I only have about $175 into the yamaha's, so I think I have some room for investment with these. However my cabinets are sooooo rough, I doubt I'll get them to as-new condition. But this thread at least inspires me to improve them to "respectable".

regarding the yamahas.... plan, take your time and dont try to do it all in one weekend. and go into it with the understanding that materials and your time will be more than they are worth. but that is ok, its a labor of love
 
Last edited:
How do you deal with the corners on a project like this? Do you cut a 45- degree angle in the veneer? You did an absolutely beautiful job. Thanks for showing.
 
Back
Top Bottom