• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH speakers...are they good speakers?

Register to hide this ad
Not so much. I don't beleive those are considered collector items, but I could be wrong. For $50 bucks though they would be great garage speakers... :yes:
 
KLH speakers are not exactly sought after as gator said. Sort of a big box store consumer grade item.

But $50? You could do worse. If they work, they'll shake the walls with that 15" vented woofer.
 
Vintage KLH (which those are not) are fantastic speakers Models 5, 6,17,23 and few others are simply great bang for the buck.
 
KLH speakers are sought after, just not these. KLH was basically a different company in the '60s and into the '70s. The KLH model 5, 6 and 17 are particularly well liked by many, but there are others like the big Model 12 that are supposed to be really nice. There are many threads around hear talking about these speakers.

--20man beat me to it!
 
The few guys below my original post are correct...I should also have said KLH's during the time those were built. The "better older" KLH's are more "on-par-sort-of" with Pioneer HPM's and Marantz HD's. Although the later I believe have a slight edge, especially the HPM's.
 
The few guys below my original post are correct...I should also have said KLH's during the time those were built. The "better older" KLH's are more "on-par-sort-of" with Pioneer HPM's and Marantz HD's. Although the later I believe have a slight edge, especially the HPM's.

I hate to pick the nit. But just to clarify. So that the OP doesn't get the wrong idea.
Early KLH, 5-6-12-17-23, etc. are classic examples of an Acoustic Suspension-East Coast speaker, and are NOT anything like Marantz HD's or HPM's.
Just my .02 cents.
 
I hate to pick the nit. But just to clarify. So that the OP doesn't get the wrong idea.
Early KLH, 5-6-12-17-23, etc. are classic examples of an Acoustic Suspension-East Coast speaker, and are NOT anything like Marantz HD's or HPM's.
Just my .02 cents.


Well, they were all from the same circa....and that's what I'm referring to. East Coast, West Coast, Northern Siberia, what's the difference? Fact is, "IMO" the HPM's and the HD were most likely superior at the time....regardless of geography.

How's Fred and Wilma doing?......only joking.
 
I agree, I should have prefaced my response that older KLH were/are sought after. I myself have 17's and 23's. The speakers in questions though are by my standards at least are great for garage systems and kids rooms, I wouldn't buy them for my "vintage System"
 
I say for $50.....buy 'em if you need 'em. Not going to find anything better for that chump change. And that's my "Final Answer"!
 
`Not going to find anything better for that chump change.`...:scratch2:

I beg to differ, in this case.


I say for $50.....buy 'em if you need 'em. Not going to find anything better for that chump change. And that's my "Final Answer"!
 
I got some KLH model 6s on craigslist for $40. If you are going to get KLHs you should try to find the classic models, you will probably be more happy with them.
 
Back
Top Bottom