• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klingon-Hifi made in USSR during the cold war

Lol! Every time I read one of CNIPM's posts in my mind I'm reading it with a Russian accent - like Rocky's Draco....."I must keel you". Haha. C'mon. I know l'm not the only one.

I'll admit this has got to take AK's top prize for being the most interesting thread. Kudos to our neighbors over seas. :thmbsp:

Jimmy
 
Soviet stereos

Back in the days when I wasn't married (a looooong time ago) and had a lot of spare time I used to build amplifiers.
My favorite was based on widely popular schematics by V. Shushurin.
Something like that (see thumbnail).
I built probably 3 or 4 of them-amazing piece of equipment. Very easy to build and tune.
My latest version clipped at somewhere about 150 watts at 8 ohms!

What is interesting that Mr. Shushurin later moved to US and established Lammindustries. Yes, he changed his name to Lamm!

http://www.lammindustries.com
Go figure....
 

Attachments

gladiator335 said:
Jeez, I had a pair of TDS headphones. They were actually really good!
We need to tempt you over to Head-Fi. You might be interested in the planar-magnetic headphones by Amfiton and Echo. I have both versions of the Echo TDS-16 myself. Except for the horrible earpads, which might have been appropriate for military applications, it's a great headphone.

Does anyone here recall seeing an East German headphone called an HOK-80?
 
Now that's what I call an interesting post.

Where do I get my hands on that TT???

Cheers on a great post . . .

And cheers generally . . .
 
Very interesting and informative narative thus far on the the audio equipment made and developed in Russia. A name they made for themselves by their leaders and not their peoples. No where and I mean now where can this be found but here on Audiokarma.org.

I have lived through the cold war and as always when "it" presents itself, people shine through. Music I believe is the key which brings us together.

These are my thoughts as I read each and every comment and video I wondered off to. Now thanks to this, I want to own some of that history. So we are drawn together in a bond of music.
 
Hallo, you are very welcome,
I love to write about the fascinating old soviet HIFI gear --- so well engineered ;)

Here as promised are pictures of the very nice (conventional passive) soviet Speaker
Radiotehnika Riga Rigonda (RRR) AC35/S90-B

28hg6yv.jpg

Very linear frequency response, an Acoustic Research AR3a Speaker wont do it better.
I can tell you this type of speaker is as good (if not even better)
than any German made T&A, Grundig, DUAL, SABA, Klein and Hummel or Telefunken top of the line speaker
in its size and power range. You might call the S90B a "vintage high end class" but still conventional speaker.

Nothing cheaply made on the Radiotehnika S90 series. (Okay no styling gimmicks as well, but I don´t need glitzy styling if
the speaker performs excellent, and my S90b does.)

Heavy as hell these S90, you will se why, dont think its plastic or fakewood trash ;)
the frontal "klingon looking" grills only cover solid woodbodies and
ultra heavy bass + mid cone speakers and a very well made polyproylenium dome tweeter.
All those speaker chassis have rock solid cast alloy bodies and giant magnets.

6ozgur.jpg


tak511.jpg

with 150 Rubles they cost around 1.25 month salary of a soviet engineer (one speaker)

dg00vs.jpg

2a62qoi.jpg

very heavy 25 Ohms (!) tweeter with cast frame, I prefer this kind of polypropylenium tweeter over silk and titanium ultra high tech tweeters, normal grade silk tweeters tend to tighten the tonal structure obove 15.000 HZ and titanium tweeters may show a sharp/harsh top end, so the polyprop is just in the middle of this...not too less and not too much high frequency dominance.
I noticed the same tendence with comparisons in other speakers from Visaton/Germany, ELAC and Canton.

n5n9kk.jpg

very solid cone midrange drivers, also with cast alloy body, good response of sax, trumpets and voices...you will have to look
to very expensive high end stuff to get a better mid tone. I already did some comparisons, even against todays computer
optimized trick stuff (B&W etc...) the old soviets perform nicely.

192r9.jpg

117hg01.jpg

These bass drivers are monsters and kick ass as hell,
you cant imagine how heavy they are...and good as well,
very responsive, clean and deeeeep bass.

35jz40w.jpg


ornf3a.jpg

Crossover of an Acoustic Research AR3a speaker (This classic US made 3 way speaker is good I know...)

For Comparison thats the crossover network of the soviet speaker
33yhsm0.jpg

Older type (thats pretty massive military grade coil and high voltage foil-cap stuff)

jq5owj.jpg

Newer Type with capacitors that have more uF in a single housing, so less caps needed here for same electrical characteristics
these newer crossovers come with silver plated wire wound MIL SPEC attenuators for tweeter and midrange.

35mleue.jpg

Thats a photo of the internal cirquitry installed in the speaker wood housings
 
Last edited:
359aekx.jpg

RADIOTEHNIKA PLANT during 1980s soviet times

r21a4y.png

Company logo on one of their walls

347egky.jpg

Radiotehnika Plant in the 1987 soviet press, oh by the way I like their old "Soviet" walldecoration :)

3537amq.jpg

Same place 2008 in Riga ---Soviet wall deco is gone...but signpost with RRR logo is still there---
ne84t5.png

They should restore that to "old CCCP glory" ;) and sell retro-soviet Hifi to the world. :) I would order!

11hs3gw.jpg

oh this phto is from early 2011 now they remove their whole history of former production of glorius eastern Hi Fi...thats sad.

16c6yao.jpg

Newest photo summer 2011, they install a shopping centre or prophane supermarket right there, even more sad.

2mxog5.png

Maybe they leave the radiotehnika tower untouched and place there a museum?!?

sosvi0.jpg

Schematic of the S90B Speakers, you can see the complex
overload protection and warning cirquit.
Its essential on these valuable speakers to replace the protection cirquit electrolytics with new 65Volt axial types,
the old soviet 40V stock-electrolytics often are dried out there and the protection system does not work at all
or works to early and cuts off the frequency response....
so better replace the electrolytics with new panasonic quality caps and thats all.
Never again problems with these fine soviet speakers.
The frequency crossover itself does not have a single electrolytic (!)
(only oil filled high voltage foil caps in hermetically sealed tin housings) nothing can go wrong here.

i2ozk8.jpg

In old Soviet russia you could buy this nice combo
 
Last edited:
18khz5.png


2567j2u.jpg


16a4gsm.jpg

Jesus these characteristics are excellent for a discretely handbuilt amp concept of the late 70s / early 80s.

Sadly I cant find close up internal photos of these ingenious class A pre/Power "7011" machines, but they might look as rocksolid as their predecessors RRR ym001 and pre yn001.

34rab7s.jpg

Pre amp yn 001 (Very high quality, watch the nice attenuators, yummy!)
you can bet that the pre amp phonostage of this yn001 is a good performer :)

2uhqv6u.jpg

33nbvw0.jpg

6eqerb.jpg

w7eayp.jpg

ym001 isnt bad either, I like the dual mono layout of this power amp, again with nice ISKRA brand
splitcore trannies made in Krasnoyarsk CCCP.

Best regards

Willy
 
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for keeping this thread alive with lots of very interesting data and pictures of that incredible gear!
 
Here another high quality amp using even MOS FET Technology.
This one here is also an ODISSEY branded but KUMIR MADE integrated from ULJANOWSK CCCP.

2kreyd.jpg


1zcjub7.jpg

Thats a very powerfull amp 2x100 Watt RMS @8 Ohms (on Paper)
In reality it cranks out 2x150 Watt @ 8Ohms RMS
dh7nt4.jpg

No wonder, that huge round monster of a transformer is goot for 2x225 Watt. (450 Watt turn on impulse power)
34ouc86.jpg

wrjjgh.jpg

Soviet Power MOS FET technology from Ulyanwosk plant.
This amp is one of the last series of HQ Amps made in the old USSR, 1988 started the production...
35bfkuw.jpg

It shares the dust protected blue (very Alps like) Volume Potentiometers with the smaller Kumir amps.
These Pots are the soviet version of the blue Alps, but I dont know how good the russian Version is
compared to the Japanese... (Aging and corrosion ?) If its a military / laboratory OEM knock off it will be good,
if its only made for "soviet consumers" it might be weak...most russian amps use stepped attenuators instead of pots.
So there are no aging problems, only cleaning maybe some BALLISTOL spray inside and they work 4ever.

Best regards

Willy
 
Last edited:
Me too...
sadly its still collecting dust somewhere in Russia...or it maybe sleeps in a closet ;)

@
Thanks 4 the larger frontal photo :)
well it looks like other 80s gear...we even in Germany had amps made by Telefunken and Nordmende looking like that frontal design....
the interesting soviet technology is the king here (much more solid than average western amps of that era)
and i like the idea that its one rare item of the final soviet hifi era.

So I would love to have one, especially because I own the predecessor Odissey y 010.

Best regards

Willy
 
Last edited:
Really interesting photos of Soviet era equipment. I was always fascinated by the look and design of Soviet era equipment when it comes to aircraft and space craft. It seems like their approach to Hi-Fi is the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. I see hardly any IC's, just discrete components.
 
Back
Top Bottom