• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klingon-Hifi made in USSR during the cold war

Yeah the russians do it quite right, for very good sound you only need a properly designed discrete cirquit,
and a stable source of electrical Power....good transformer etc...
ICs are a typical Japanse solution, but you dont need hordes of OP Amp Ics for analogue Audio equipment...
you can do the same with transistors, resistors and diodes.
Takes more time to manufacture and is more expensive, but cost was no matter for russian audio engineers. :)

2mm9uvn.jpg

Simple but effective and deadquiet without any hum....
Soviet bM 0200 (2x100 Watt) Class A/B solid state professional rack stage stereo amp.
You can bridge it to 200 Watt Mono.

fw6rp.jpg


ay4osj.jpg


auzfv9.jpg

Sounds great that heavy thing, a friend of mine found it in Prague, now has it
in his music studio in Frankfurt.

34ye1lf.jpg

I like russian type plates they tell a lot.
This one was made 1992 in the electronical music instruments works Moscow.
Serial Number 286 is quite low. There werent many made of them.
Thats the only professional stage or studio power amp made in USSR I have ever seen,
but i´m sure there were many other types around back in the glory days of CCCP :)

Kindest regards

Willy
 
Last edited:
Jeez, I had a pair of TDS headphones. They were actually really good!

tds1.jpg

I don't remember the sound, but I remember that they were not very comfortable. It's been about 25 years, but did most Soviet "hifi" components have balanced-type connectors? I used to run an Arktur tt, as well as a couple of other components pictured above. The quality of the consumer components wasn't very high, at least not the ones we could afford.
 
Last edited:
They were not balanced, there were 6-pin DIN.

I don't remember the sound, but I remember that they were not very comfortable. It's been about 25 years, but did most Soviet "hifi" components have balanced-type connectors? I used to run an Arktur tt, as well as a couple of other components pictured above. The quality of the consumer components wasn't very high, at least not the ones we could afford.
 
Soviet Hi-Fi

Quite an old thread but....

Here is another memory from much younger age: first Soviet VCR "Electronika VM12".
I had one of those!!!!

Reminds you of something?

DSCN1633.JPG
 
Quite an old thread but....

Here is another memory from much younger age: first Soviet VCR "Electronika VM12".
I had one of those!!!!

Reminds you of something?

DSCN1633.JPG

Looks an awful lot like a VHS machine...Still think the Rooskies could have a pretty respectable market if they ever tried selling this stuff in the Decadent West...Everything I've seen is VERY appealing to me from both astyling standpoint & a construction one as well.. There is at least ONE vintage Russian radio that about any antique radio nut worth his salt would LOVE to have...Think it was made in 1955, & called the "Volga"...Believe it was patterned after an earlier French design...Talk about "Klingon" styling...Its like the '55 Caddy was re-designed in Moscow, & they were good 'n' loaded on vodka to boot...It is a rather humble 5 tube AM/SW set....But to LOOK at it, you'd think it picked up the Klingon Home World...
 
Soviet radios

Quote: "There is at least ONE vintage Russian radio that about any antique radio nut worth his salt would LOVE to have...Think it was made in 1955, & called the "Volga"...Believe it was patterned after an earlier French design..."

This one by any chance?

62471083_1_1000x700_prodam-radiolu-volga-baranovichi.jpg
 
No, but methinks I like THAT 'Un, too...The one I'm talking about is, IIRC, a big chrome & red affair that has a tapered design that is bigger on the top than at the base..Been awhile since I've seen one...A year or 2 back,one was on Epay, & I think it went for SILLY big money, which is why I'll never have one..
 
I'm pretty sure this comment has already been made somewhere in here, but..."In Soviet Russia, Hi-Fi listens to YOU!"
 
This is a great historical thread. I will comment on one thing though: How did the Russians manage to measure 4 decimal distortion figures? Lets see some Russian test equipment!
 
Last edited:
Us dumb ol' ignerunt Hillbillies had made us some pretty good Testin' Fluid, too, though...Damn Gummint Revenooers didn't much like it, but about everybody else did, however... (grin)
 
Hello,
I was surprised to find a thread like this at Audiokarma. As I see the real interest in USSR HiFi, I can contribute to this and provide some additional information.
Please find below some pics of highly praised among the audiofils in Russia the USSR HiFi integrated amplifier BRIG-001. This unit was among the firs ever in USSR to comply with HiFi standards. The pre-production started in 1975, mass production started in 1976, the price is silk-screened on the back and reads 625 rub. (meaning 3 months average salary of an engineer). The unit weghts 16 kg and easily feeds 2 x 50 W at 4 Ohms with 0.1 THD. The schematic is developed by very talented Russian engineer Anatoly Likhnitsky, who died 18th of May this year (RIP). The initial design was fully discreet and based on silicon transistors with quasi complementary output stage on 2 NPN KT808A 100 V 10 A transistors working in AB mode with 50 mA bias current. All controls, besides balance, are made discreet with silver contacts and selected resistors. There is not a single connector in a unit, all pcbs are soldered manually and signed by an operator. After 37 years of service the unit functions like new, the only thing is to replace 16 electrolytics and re-adjust biasing.
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom