• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
I'll have to look into dampening them down the road.

I just put the gaskets in. The old ones were super brittle and stiff. When I tried to bend one of them, it snapped in half. So it's great to have the new gaskets in there — I swear I can hear a difference, too. Smoother. But the power of suggestion is strong, too. Either way, I'm glad to have replaced those dried up gaskets.
 
Recapped the H700s — they are now back to original spec and sounding absolutely fantastic. Thanks everyone for your knowledge and suggestions. I’m really enjoying these speakers, and it was fun to learn a bit about the various Heresy variations!
Hi tlann, found this thread and hoping you still monitor. I obtained a similar pair of H700s as you and am thinking one of the original red surround (allegedly 16 ohm per all the reading I have done) K-22 is going to need a replacement. I am on a similar path and attempting to restore as close to original and it seems like there's no obvious aftermarket 16 ohm replacement. Just two clarification questions in your quest here please:

You successfully installed K-22e speakers with the original Type C crossover (unmodified) and were satisfied with the outcome initially?
When you then replaced the capacitors on your crossover, did you stick to the original design with 1x1uF and 1x2uF or did you go the modern design of 2x2uF? Again from reading, I believe the original H700 with 16 ohm woofers was 1uf and 2uF, whereas they switched to 8 ohm woofers and 2x2uF capacitors.

Also interested in anything you have learned or completed since this thread. Thank you!
 
Hi tlann, found this thread and hoping you still monitor. I obtained a similar pair of H700s as you and am thinking one of the original red surround (allegedly 16 ohm per all the reading I have done) K-22 is going to need a replacement. I am on a similar path and attempting to restore as close to original and it seems like there's no obvious aftermarket 16 ohm replacement. Just two clarification questions in your quest here please:

You successfully installed K-22e speakers with the original Type C crossover (unmodified) and were satisfied with the outcome initially?
When you then replaced the capacitors on your crossover, did you stick to the original design with 1x1uF and 1x2uF or did you go the modern design of 2x2uF? Again from reading, I believe the original H700 with 16 ohm woofers was 1uf and 2uF, whereas they switched to 8 ohm woofers and 2x2uF capacitors.

Also interested in anything you have learned or completed since this thread. Thank you!
Hey there! Cool that you're trying to restore as close to original as possible — I've been quite happy with that approach. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, I installed K-22-E woofers with the original Type C crossover.
2) I then recapped the crossover but maintained the values (1uf and 2uf).

Everything has worked out great and sounds good. From my own research when I was in this process, I'm now unsure if Klipsch ever actually made a true 16ohm woofer. Others on this thread might have more to say about that. I did, however, obtain a red-surround K-22, and when I measured it, it was not a 16ohm woofer.

The only other things I've done to these speakers is change the rubber gasket in the squawker (made a notable difference, as the old ones were dried out and brittle) and mount the speakers on reproduction slant risers from Crites, which gets them at a nice angle, though I think I preferred the sound of them on slanted stands that raised them a foot off the ground (I can't use these higher stands, though, because I have a 9-month-old on the cusp of walking, so the speakers would immediately come toppling down).

Let us know how the restoration goes!
 
Hey there! Cool that you're trying to restore as close to original as possible — I've been quite happy with that approach. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, I installed K-22-E woofers with the original Type C crossover.
2) I then recapped the crossover but maintained the values (1uf and 2uf).

Everything has worked out great and sounds good. From my own research when I was in this process, I'm now unsure if Klipsch ever actually made a true 16ohm woofer. Others on this thread might have more to say about that. I did, however, obtain a red-surround K-22, and when I measured it, it was not a 16ohm woofer.

The only other things I've done to these speakers is change the rubber gasket in the squawker (made a notable difference, as the old ones were dried out and brittle) and mount the speakers on reproduction slant risers from Crites, which gets them at a nice angle, though I think I preferred the sound of them on slanted stands that raised them a foot off the ground (I can't use these higher stands, though, because I have a 9-month-old on the cusp of walking, so the speakers would immediately come toppling down).

Let us know how the restoration goes!
Very cool, this is exactly the info I was hoping for thanks for the quick response! I honestly think these things sound great stock even as antiquated as they are. I'm not at all interested in going down the super heresy/upgrade paths yet. I will be replacing the horn gaskets and capacitors, but the long pole in the tent is a bad woofer and I'd like to avoid dumping another ~$200 into these right now if possible.

Here's my other post on the actual issue I am dealing with. I may be trying speaker surgery for the first time in the near future.
 
Back
Top Bottom