• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch KG 4 vs. Advent NLA (New Large Advent) Walnut Bullnose

The KLHs actually were recapped. I should have added that. I still find the Klipsch as you said to be more forward and I like that. If I can swing it I'll try and pick up the NLAs too to see how they compare to my ear. I gather there's no end to the speaker game. Thank you guys very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Easy confusing more forward with more sensitive
Some times yes some times no no matter amplifier
All comes down to system in the entirety of matter
When I make choice for speaker I consider it a PART of the amplifier I will ultimately use
Not same thing as tired cliche synergy
Yes horn voice is different very much so but put KLH with good amplfier or make KLH final stage of the right amplifier and sing different tune come away with different impression entirely
My experience any way
JJ
 
Klipsch, hands down, for me. They do tend to be a love 'em/hate 'em proposition, though. You seem to be in the love 'em crowd, too. That said, if you haven't heard a wide variety of speakers, then the more you can hear, the better, imo.
 
Easy confusing more forward with more sensitive
Some times yes some times no no matter amplifier
All comes down to system in the entirety of matter
When I make choice for speaker I consider it a PART of the amplifier I will ultimately use
Not same thing as tired cliche synergy
Yes horn voice is different very much so but put KLH with good amplfier or make KLH final stage of the right amplifier and sing different tune come away with different impression entirely

Excellent and timely point as I actually ended up picking up those Advents shortly after I started this post. Sold the KLH as they just weren't for me. I hooked the Advent Bullnose up to my SX-780 and ran the old A/B comparison vs. my Klipsch. My decision was immediate. I was shocked to find the Advents to be even clearer to me with the 780 and they became my main speakers.
Here's the kicker and what I understand now to be the never ending rabbit hole that is this hobby...After I was completely happy and content with my new Advents I ended up in a deal that had me trade my 780 for an SX-850 as I thought I would be making a no brainer upgrade. Shoot the moon right? Long story short it's back to the drawing board and time to run another A/B speaker comparison as I quickly found I'm either not a fan of the 50 series (too warm sounding for me) or the amp/speaker combo yet. Hoping now that somehow the now old Klipsch will brighten up the sound of the 850 or keep looking for a 980.
 
I have two sets of Advents and absolutely love them. However, I was fortunate enough to run across a super nice set of ADS l730's for only 14.99 at our local GW. After a side by side comparison, the Advents are now in disconnect mode and sitting in my office. No comparison whatsoever. I almost felt guilty retiring them....almost.
 
Totally different speakers. I like Advent better but that doesn't mean the OP will. Any advent you find will need the cheapie electrolytic caps replaced if they are originals.

That series of Klipsch makes my ears bleed.

Listen first.

Agree with the recommendation to consider ADS if looking at vintage.
 
Re: 780 and 850, they do have different outputs, but remember you're talking about receivers that are near 40 years old now. Likely neither one of those is still up to factory spec.
 
Klipsch, you either like them or hate them.

If that's the choices, Klipsch. I have a pair of Heresy and Chorus II. I like the Klipsch sound and don't think they are honky, or too bright, or whatever else is supposed to be "wrong" with them. The KG4 gets excellent reviews from those that like the Klipsch sound.

I have two pair of Advents (NLAs) and run them stacked every once in a while. They are fine speakers for what they are, but there are some limitations with the tweeter and the woofer pairing. The tweeter doesn't quite go low enough and the woofer not quite high enough. Great woofer, OK tweeter, marginal pairing. For <$200 they are good speakers IMHO.

I also like AR2a and KLH 5 better than the Advents. YMMV.

I prefer Infinity to all of them. 80's models. RS series (anything with EMIT tweeters and Polydome mids, and poly-cone woofers). Best bang for the buck in vintage IMHO, for whatever that's worth. Not as easy to drive as the Klipsch or Advents.

The SX-x50 and SX-x80 are both supposed to be "bright" receivers, at least from what I have read. I like the SX-x2x series receivers from Pioneer.

It's all in your ears and what you like.
 
I've had both.
I bought the KG4's new and could never convince myself to like them. The horns sound harsh to me. I sold my KG4's and still use the Advents.
Totally different speakers. I like Advent better but that doesn't mean the OP will. Any advent you find will need the cheapie electrolytic caps replaced if they are originals.

That series of Klipsch makes my ears bleed.

Listen first.

Agree with the recommendation to consider ADS if looking at vintage.

How the hell do kg4s make your ears bleed? I will never understand this. They're one of the smoothest horns out there. And they have 1 horn . What source were u using?
 
How the hell do kg4s make your ears bleed? I will never understand this. They're one of the smoothest horns out there. And they have 1 horn . What source were u using?
I am one of many that do not care for horns.

I was at another persons house. He had a crappy 80’s receiver, a crappy mass market CD player, and a crappy room with ceramic tile floors and no carpet. I did not enjoy it. Sorry.

I have heard Heresy’s on a better system in a better environment and they were nice.
 
I am one of many that do not care for horns.

I was at another persons house. He had a crappy 80’s receiver, a crappy mass market CD player, and a crappy room with ceramic tile floors and no carpet. I did not enjoy it. Sorry.

I have heard Heresy’s on a better system in a better environment and they were nice.

Oh Christ that's why. You can't use some crap SS and CD player with tile floors.

I have mine set up in a carpeted room with, imo, a top 3 tube integrated of all time in a completely recapped Bell Carillon 6060. El34 amp. I have Mullard Xf2s for my el34s powers in there, with telefunkens as my pre and phono 12ax7 tubes. Along with a Jvc ql a75 turntable,, another beast imo and definitely one of the best DD motors ever made. And a empire 600 lac cartridge. All vintage equipment. It's heaven and so versatile its silly. Detail, punch, smooth yet dynamic. I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.


Funny thing is money wise, the speakers are my weak link. But they sound amazing so I'm staying with them. It's all about the room and source. Gotta go tubes.


They're so far from harsh. Yet at the same time, they're right in your face without being offensive.
 
My first serious system included the Bull-Nose Advents, a Kenwood 40W/ch receiver and a Sharp RT-3388 computer-Controlled cassette player. I had always enjoyed the Advents----until I heard the Kg4s in the early 80s. I never looked back. I gave the Advents to a friend who had them until the surrounds deteriorated. A year the Kg4 purchase I purchased another pair and a pair of Kg2 to build an early Dolby Pro Logic system with a Yamaha DRS-100Pro. One Kg2 was used as the center and the Kg4s main and surrounds.
 
Klipsch, hands down, for me. They do tend to be a love 'em/hate 'em proposition, though. You seem to be in the love 'em crowd, too. That said, if you haven't heard a wide variety of speakers, then the more you can hear, the better, imo.

Bad form to quote myself, I guess, but note the hands-down confidence of my response, and now not a Klipsch in the house. Being from the deep south, I'll have my crow battered and fried, please.
 
Back
Top Bottom