• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipschorn's sound muddy and low-fi

Looks like the Crites rebuilt crossovers are correct. I’ve got a set that look the same. Odd that you have an additional set of crossovers. I just sent mine to Bob, he rebuilt them and sent them back, versus buying another set. Maybe the original owner wanted the original untouched set also?
my bad. I only have the caps from the original crossover
 
my bad. I only have the caps from the original crossover

Got it. Then I’d guess they’re ok with those crossovers. And the wiring to each speaker is right (from crossovers) and polarity? Then you’re down to each individual speaker working correctly, placement in the room, or the power supplying them.
 
Got it. Then I’d guess they’re ok with those crossovers. And the wiring to each speaker is right (from crossovers) and polarity? Then you’re down to each individual speaker working correctly, placement in the room, or the power supplying them.
Each individual driver works. I'll try swapping the crites out for the stock tweets.
 
Well that’ll do it! Sounds to me like your dad got burned. If he’ll let you, pull out the original tweeters and hook ‘em up to a multimeter. If they give a reading, there’s hope for ‘em yet.
 
Well that’ll do it!
If only it were that simple. My complaints with the speakers arose well before I even tried the stock tweets. Throughout all of my testing, I've been using the crites tweeters, meaning the problem still has yet to be identified.
 
I'm a bit concerned about the input leads to the crossover. Looks like bare wire twisted around the screws, which is OK except the left screw has the wire going the wrong way, so it is unwrapped as the screw is tightened, and is also perilously close to other wire. I'd at least switch that one to avoid a loose strand shorting out, and if you can, crimp some lugs onto them for added safety. I doubt this is causing your problem but certainly a problem best avoided.
 
I really don't like the AA crossover, its only 6 db per octave to the woofer and rolls of the lower mid at 6 db per octave. There is no HF rolloff for the mid. and like I said you need a room equalizer to get the lower mid and upper bass from the woofer in perspective. post-30216-0-34180000-1390167998.jpg
 
This may be completely off the wall. I had a pair of La Scalas and one of the drivers of the midrange horn came loose (it screws onto the back of the horn). You might want to check that the drivers are screwed tight to the horns.
 
I'm a bit concerned about the input leads to the crossover. Looks like bare wire twisted around the screws, which is OK except the left screw has the wire going the wrong way, so it is unwrapped as the screw is tightened, and is also perilously close to other wire. I'd at least switch that one to avoid a loose strand shorting out, and if you can, crimp some lugs onto them for added safety. I doubt this is causing your problem but certainly a problem best avoided.

Not sure why Klipsch insisted in having everything close together in a line like that. Asking for trouble IMO. When I built a set of type A crossovers I spread things out a little. There's plenty of room,..... why not?

Yeah, lugs are a must. I like to go one better and solder mine on instead of just crimping.

wiring completed.jpg
 
Put a brand new set of Crites Crossovers in my Cornwall 1's. It was a very noticeable difference for sure. I'll let y'all guess if that is good or bad...
 
Last edited:
Hmmm; muddy khorns? As was mentioned several times they are anything but that. I think the only way I could make my k's sound muddy would be to loosen up the drivers in the top bonnet, put a few blankets over them and use poor electronics. Hopefully you get to the bottom of the problem as they are very revealing speakers that do a lot of things right.
This may have been already answered but have you tried different electronics on them?
 
Back
Top Bottom