gonzothegreat
Super Member
Picked this up at the Janesville AK-fest at the Silver Moon. Kenwood's TOTL KR-9600. The seller said it had a bad channel and that it was probably an output IC. I didn't know that the devices are 24 karat pure unobtainium (god I love that word).
Hope springs eternal and I've heard whispers of a mod to sub discrete devices for the custom ones. When I bought my Kenwood Basic M1a at a hamfest ten years ago, some vintage hifi guy behind me told me about a mod to sub for Kenwood output ICs that I now realize was probably the trick I am looking for. Sadly I haven't seen this guy in years. He used to run Tritium Electronics in Milwaukee. My gut tells me he wired up a few 2sc3281 style devices (TO-3P outputs used in my TFM-25 and IIRC Sanyofreak's custom amp).
I've seen a mention of this mod here but no specifics. Any leads I can run down? Schematic sources?
I know this would bollix the collector value but if the only options are to mod it or part it out, then prepare for surgery nurse.
Hope springs eternal and I've heard whispers of a mod to sub discrete devices for the custom ones. When I bought my Kenwood Basic M1a at a hamfest ten years ago, some vintage hifi guy behind me told me about a mod to sub for Kenwood output ICs that I now realize was probably the trick I am looking for. Sadly I haven't seen this guy in years. He used to run Tritium Electronics in Milwaukee. My gut tells me he wired up a few 2sc3281 style devices (TO-3P outputs used in my TFM-25 and IIRC Sanyofreak's custom amp).
I've seen a mention of this mod here but no specifics. Any leads I can run down? Schematic sources?
I know this would bollix the collector value but if the only options are to mod it or part it out, then prepare for surgery nurse.