• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KR-9600 outputs

SicMan, it would be good if you could post a thread on how you did this with the KA-9100 so that future members who come here can see that their are alternatives for their KA-9100 in case they can't find the TA-100WA.

I'll see what I can do... :scratch2:
 
kenwood ta-200w blown

I recently joined this site after reading and seeing the cool vintage gear here. I have got a kr 9600 for $75 mint condition but the ta-200w's are blown and found the supply rail voltage stuck at the pin # 5 or at the relay board terminals (same thing) I was wondering how many have tried the sanken sap15's sap16's or std03's p/n darlingtons in these. I found the schematics and figured out how to install these in a kenwood kr 9600 or a ka 9100 amp I saw another fellow here say's he uses them and after looking at schematics it looks like they will work. Only thing in question is the internal schematic looks like a sanken s100w chip not a ta-200wa internal schematic Theres alot more stuff in the ta-200w . Thanks for any help. I know some things about fisher tube equipment and can help anyone who is stuck on one.
 
can someone post a schematic of this set.... that IC # sounds familiar, there may be ICS with the same pinout and very close specs, albeit they get propietry labelling, youd be suprised to see core pinouts dont vary as much as one would think...
 
Well, I got intrigued by this, and went and dug up some parts. In this photo you can see the fronts and backs of the S-100, the SS-120A, the TA-100WA and the TA-200W.

The smaller parts are identical in case and back- they were definitely all made by Sanken. The 200W is also obviously a Sanken part, though it is physically bigger than the other three.

I wish I could find specifications on the SS-120A. No luck.

modules.jpg
 
I am going through My archive of STKs (alot of the 1 ch older ones were 10 pin) now to find that same pinout
 
On the subject of TA-200W amplifier IC's, is there any way to test these out of circuit?. Just finding the common failure mode with a would be helpful.

I just got a basketcase parts KR-9600 and there isn't enough left to test the amps.
 
Last edited:
On the subject of TA-200W amplifier IC's, is there any way to test these out of circuit?. Just finding the common failure mode with a would be helpful.

I just got a basketcase parts KR-9600 and there isn't enough left to test the amps.

What do you need? I have two of em around with no amps, last I checked the rest of the unit worked. they are missing front panel, knobs etc but the guts work.

John Mik
 
Thanks for the offer SicMan, but I'll bet mine is worse than yours! No, this one is not going back together...ugly as turd and missing way too much to make it cost effective. Just looking for a way to test the amps....
 
What do you need? I have two of em around with no amps, last I checked the rest of the unit worked. they are missing front panel, knobs etc but the guts work.

John Mik
I have two GB300 Mosfet amps all assembled with custom heatsinks ready to fit into a 9600 (project got axed and they never got installed). A 9600 with no amp section is just what these need...
 
bad news would be short between pins 1 & 5 or pins 5 & 10 (collector-emitter short)

That checks out, no shorts. Is it worth installing these in a working unit and powering it up on a dim bulb to confirm the're okay? I don't want to take anything out on the test 9600.
 
considering theres no shorts, inly thing could be opens internally, which wont take anything out but will sound awful, id variac the amp and ramp it up slowly, checking pin 5 for any DC offset...
 
I wish someone would try those GB300s of Echowars. I built a GB150 using salvaged PS & heatsinks, I should have gone with the GB300s for my maggies..
 
I won a basket case kenwood kr 9600 in auction site. The face plate was bent 2 knobs missing and the light panel was butchered. It was far too shot to keep. problems in front end too. I was able to test both amp modules using the main in jack and they both worked great! I had a mint kr 9600 with two blown outputs. I swiched the whole assembley including heatsink and driver boards into mine and It works great plays for 15 hours no issues, I have all of the other boards tuner phono pre ext... anyone need anything?
 
I won a basket case kenwood kr 9600 in auction site. The face plate was bent 2 knobs missing and the light panel was butchered. It was far too shot to keep. problems in front end too. I was able to test both amp modules using the main in jack and they both worked great! I had a mint kr 9600 with two blown outputs. I swiched the whole assembley including heatsink and driver boards into mine and It works great plays for 15 hours no issues, I have all of the other boards tuner phono pre ext... anyone need anything?

Sure is nice when it works out like that. Have you checked the DC offset? I've had a few of these and all have had pretty high DC, like 85 mV and higher. I cleaned one up for a friend about 6 months ago and now it won't come out of protection and I expect the DC is the reason. Preamp works fine.
 
Hi i checked the d.c offset at the speaker terminals and they are both around 85mv every kenwood kr9600 seems to have this same measurement. I think the one you have not comming out of protection mode may be a bad capacitor on the relay board did you check pin 5 on the output module? I would measure at the relay board just follow the wires from the amp boards. If they are around 80mv - 85 try closing the relays manually with a test set of speakers to confirm the amplifiers are working. I had two kenwood kr9600's that had protection mode problems nothing to do with the amps
 
By replacing the differntial input transistors with a matched set of KSA992s (I thinks the diffs are PNP, my memory's a goin':D ), you can get the offset down around 10mV pretty easily. Seems like it takes more than half a volt to trip the DC protection.
 
Back
Top Bottom