• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KT-88 Red plating question

A quick web search found several places that appear to have them in stock.
Well sure, I can find them, I was just wondering if there was a preferred source. I know Jim mcshane is highly regarded but he doesn’t appear to have any. Viva tubes is the source I’m looking at for the moment.
 
Well sure, I can find them, I was just wondering if there was a preferred source. I know Jim mcshane is highly regarded but he doesn’t appear to have any. Viva tubes is the source I’m looking at for the moment.
I'd try to buy them from a place with a return policy and use PayPal or some similar form of exchange. :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, he's retiring.

Good independent sources of tubes are getting smaller and smaller. :(
It sure is getting tougher to find them. I am most certain it is not getting easier for them to source reliable and available tubes. The GL KT88 tubes are good tubes if you can still get them from a reliable source. The price is a bit steep, but if they last in your amp for 2K - 3K hours that isn’t too bad. That is like 15c per hour.
 
JJ KT-88's and 6550's are still readily available and only about $250/quad. I've never used either but they are supposedly good tubes. Eurotubes in Portland, OR seems to have a good stock of JJ tubes.
 
... The GL KT88 tubes are good tubes if you can still get them from a reliable source. The price is a bit steep, but if they last in your amp for 2K - 3K hours that isn’t too bad. ...
It would be interesting to hear from individuals who have purchased Russian output tubes in the past two years, if the are getting the usage from them compared to earlier examples. Not wanting to turn this into a political discussion, but I have had the thought that the US and other western countries may not be getting the best Russian produced tubes, GL or otherwise, at this time. There's no real incentive for the Russians to do so and perhaps some incentive, not to.
 
Except that the factory producing the GL tubes, any many other old timey labels, is owned by an American. At least it was unless something has happened with the Russian government.
 
Except that the factory producing the GL tubes, any many other old timey labels, is owned by an American. At least it was unless something has happened with the Russian government.
I don't see the fact that the factory is owned by an American makes any difference. I doubt he is on-site everyday. The workers and likely frontline and middle managers are Russian. Besides, he makes his money when the product gets shipped, regardless of quality of the product.
 
I don't think the ownership has much to do with it. For reasons many places on the planet are not allowing goods from Russia in.
 
Well, Sovteks don't seem to be around anymore, and they weren't my choice, just what came with the amp when I purchased it. They have performed just fine so far. I wonder how they compare with some of the other tubes that are currently available?
 
I haven't found any Sovtek kt88's. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Even so, I would like to try a different brand anyway.
 
So where they rebranded as New sensor/EH tubes?

No New Sensor/EH acquired the rights to many tube brands.

 
No New Sensor/EH acquired the rights to many tube brands.

Thank You for the edjumacation!
 
Back
Top Bottom