• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KT88 SE Abdellah (modified by Alex Gendrano) + AK..

The ECC88/6DJ8/6922 are all the same basic tube, some pending what they actually
are(not just marked) are an beefier version and can take more, this design here I've
accounted for that and any should be just fine.

Now I find it interesting your pretty resigned to use them but don't actually have any
of them, if it were me and this design I would be looking to purchase ECC85/6AQ8's if
I were buying tubes in nice European brands along with same for an ECC88/6DJ8/6922.

An no I wouldn't buy any new production small signal tubes, to me the old ones Spank
the snot out of them in the sound department, with pretty much any manufacturer to.

For these types I prefer, Amperex(made in holland) and Mullard, as my favorites there.

I can only get:
1. Telam or Deltron ECC85 NOS..
2. Philips, Tungsram, Haltron, Sylvania, Miniwatt, General Electric or Brimar NOS E88CC.
3. New E88CC JJ.

What do you recommend ?
 
Me, I wouldn't touch the JJ, so I would take that out.

-------------

I would ask/find the origin of manufacturer on those ECC85 (but my guess nice European)
(and I'd pick up one of both if there priced reasonable)

Miniwatt, and or Brimar NOS E88CC.
(also I'd pick up one of both if there priced reasonable)

I am an tube roller, I like to have extra examples of good tubes to try, so I get multiples. ;)
 
Me, I wouldn't touch the JJ, so I would take that out.

-------------

I would ask/find the origin of manufacturer on those ECC85 (but my guess nice European)
(and I'd pick up one of both if there priced reasonable)

Miniwatt, and or Brimar NOS E88CC.
(also I'd pick up one of both if there priced reasonable)

I am an tube roller, I like to have extra examples of good tubes to try, so I get multiples. ;)

Thanks!
Telam is from Poland.. May be I can get one and compare to a new JJ so I can get my own conclusions..

For EL34, I can get new JJ or EH...
Svetlana and Mullard RI too, but too way expensive..
What do you recommend here ???

About the rectifier one, is JJ GZ34 bad ??
 
As far as GZ34/5AR4, any new production rectifiers won't be taxed like it is in say
an Dynaco ST-70, so something like the JJ should be fine here, as other new ones.

----

I don't have a ton of experience with new production EL34's, but if I'd ventured to
buy some I'd consider the EH 6CA7/EL34 Fat Bottle version, and or those JJ KT77's.
 
EH 6ca7 tubes coming...
Any recommendation for output tx with multiple 8R and 4R secondaries, 5k primary and 43% UL ?? :scratch2:
Thanks!
 
As far as GZ34/5AR4, any new production rectifiers won't be taxed like it is in say
an Dynaco ST-70, so something like the JJ should be fine here, as other new ones.

----

I don't have a ton of experience with new production EL34's, but if I'd ventured to
buy some I'd consider the EH 6CA7/EL34 Fat Bottle version, and or those JJ KT77's.

Shall I use coaxil wire for the input to the ECC88 tube ??
 
"good" wire for the input would be suggested, but not necessarily does it have to be coaxial.
(I'd use whatever you find fits your wants/needs, doesn't have to be anything special to me)
 
Start with post 184, and continue from there, should get all pertinent info.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5651746&postcount=184

And here is the latest posted schem, with ECC85/6AQ8 in mind.
attachment.php
 
Thanks for your reply.
I have assembled the following circuit, without bias led. It can be placed in this circuit ECC85 valve?
I would like to replace the valve 6n1p other NOS and compare.

 
Yes it will work in there with no problems... But.. ;)

If it were me I'd lower that cathode resistor on the driver (R3).
Either replace the 1k with 430ohm, or parallel 750ohm to the 1k.
(you could put a switch paralleling 750ohm when using ECC85)

The reason is to get more current though the ECC85, as it won't
draw as much as the 6N1P an be a little on the low side in there.
 
Hello Kegger. Just finished the amp after a couple of months of work.
Its sounds extremely good when the 100K dual pot is at 10, but It does some weird sounds when I have the pot in less than 8.
The pot is an Alps and was working ok for sure before installing it.
What could be wrong ??? :scratch2:

Thanks!
 
Nothing is coming to mind as to what it may be. (sorry)

But it's pretty straight forward, either a bad pot or wired incorrectly would be my thought.
 
Nothing is coming to mind as to what it may be. (sorry)

But it's pretty straight forward, either a bad pot or wired incorrectly would be my thought.

Ok, thanks! Ill try changing that pot. It will take me some time though. Ill let you know how it results.. :thmbsp:
 
Nothing is coming to mind as to what it may be. (sorry)

But it's pretty straight forward, either a bad pot or wired incorrectly would be my thought.

Ill check the wiring and its OK. I confirmed the problem appears when i start to turn the volume down. If i have it on 10-9, then its sounds very well. As I start going down its sounds like some weird stuff (may be more current flowing somewhere :scratch2: ).
Could it be the earth of the pot??
 
Weirdness happening when the volume pot is backed away from full CW is sometimes a result of oscillation caused by positive feedback from poor wiring layout. Does the noise clear up at full CCW also?
 
That's good news to hear. :thmbsp:

And yes checking all the voltages is a good thing to.
(when you do calculate the output tube dissipation)
 
Back
Top Bottom