• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Late 80's early 90's luxman, sony, denon and onkyo receivers/integrated amps!

The OP wants a MOSFET power amp output by the way, not bipolars or a mosfet somewhere in the front end of an amp or sitting on the phono stage of a preamp.
 
The OP wants a MOSFET power amp output by the way, not bipolars or a mosfet somewhere in the front end of an amp or sitting on the phono stage of a preamp.

yes, I already have a marantz 2238b which uses bipolar mosfet. I love its sound, but would like a more transparent amp and overall better amp and try a lateral mosfet design.

I'm interested so far by:
luxman r-115
denon pma 1060
Nakamichi SR-4A/SR-2A/SR-3A
 
Last edited:
yes, I already have a marantz 2238b which uses bipolar mosfet. I love its sound, but would like a more transparent amp and overall better amp and try a lateral mosfet design.

I'm interested so far by:
luxman r-115
denon pma 1060
Nakamichi SR-4A/SR-2A/SR-3A

I had an SR-3A. Always wanted a SR-4A. The SR-3A has a very good phono section with MM/MC options. It was particularly good with MM. The SR-3A had a very good digital tuner as well. The SR-4A has the added convenience of remote control.
 
yes, I already have a marantz 2238b which uses bipolar mosfet. I love its sound, but would like a more transparent amp and overall better amp and try a lateral mosfet design.

I'm interested so far by:
luxman r-115
denon pma 1060
Nakamichi SR-4A/SR-2A/SR-3A

Marantz 2238b does not use MOSFETs, it uses BJTs. BJTs are more linear than MOSFETs so if you want a linear (transparent) amp, you're looking in the wrong way.

All the amps in your list there use BJTs and not MOSFETs, and all should be quite transparent.
 
Marantz 2238b does not use MOSFETs, it uses BJTs. BJTs are more linear than MOSFETs so if you want a linear (transparent) amp, you're looking in the wrong way.

All the amps in your list there use BJTs and not MOSFETs, and all should be quite transparent.
please help then? what late 80's early 90's receiver would be a upgrade compared to my marantz 2238b?

Id have to admit that mosfet sound is preferred for me compared to modern class D even if details are missing, the musicality trumps class d

Would luxman r-115 be a considerable upgrade from marantanz 2238b?
 
yes, if you like the difference in sound. Some love Marantz and would not consider other brands.

The R-115 is known to sound good by many folks and has twice the power, roughly, so it will play a little louder if that is needed.

Get the R-115. let us know how you like it and then start looking for more. You gotta have more, it is the AK way.
 
please help then? what late 80's early 90's receiver would be a upgrade compared to my marantz 2238b?

Honestly? Anything. But stay away from receivers from this time (they were way out of fashion by then so almost no good models came out). Integrated amplifiers are (were) where its at.

I cannot think of many MOSFET amps from this time. Luxman LV-103, 105, 107. Tube-mosfet hybrid amps. Very weird things. They tend to fetch a rather high price these days, which they are undeserving of. Especially since they practically demand service. Almost any BJT based amp from the same time will be a better purchase.
 
Honestly? Anything. But stay away from receivers from this time (they were way out of fashion by then so almost no good models came out). Integrated amplifiers are (were) where its at.

I cannot think of many MOSFET amps from this time. Luxman LV-103, 105, 107. Tube-mosfet hybrid amps. Very weird things. They tend to fetch a rather high price these days, which they are undeserving of. Especially since they practically demand service. Almost any BJT based amp from the same time will be a better purchase.


hi, im french I may not have understood your recommendation.
you do not recommend luxman hybrid models, so LV series is to be avoided? so I guess I would be better off looking for integrated amp rather then receivers?

in integrated amp from luxman, sony, onkyo, denon from late 80's, what should I look for?
I dont need a phono stage and I wouldnt use a tuner. I dont even know I suggested a receiver! my main goal is best power amp section with decent pre amp included in the receiver or the integrated amp. I listen only to my sd-1 player and use a TT with a very good phono stage and use a MC cart anyway.

care to suggest some integreated model that would fit my description that would likely beat luxman R-115?
from what I have read, luxman r-1113/115/117 are suppose to be very good. what would be the step up from those in integrated amps?
 
Last edited:
Simple answer. These units are IC laden. Often higher failure rates with surges and many not repair/service friendly. Luxman was the best of the lot. But there are fewer survivors due to the above reasons.
 
okay! its my luck, locally, a luxman r 113 was just put on sale. im going to get it right now!
will report and compare to my cyrus one, marantz 2238B

IM happy, the luxman r 113/115/117 was the one I was most interested!
thanks everyone
 
got my luxman R 113 50$ mint condition
sound is clean and clear. very detailed and powerful! Its definitely much better then my cyrus one, my class d, marantz 2238b. I really like it. more impression to come, but so far, im impressed.
I cannot even push it past 12 o'clock so there enough power for my small room.
 
Last edited:
Old AV amps are virtually worthless. If the DS1 was a 2-channel amp ala the R-117, I am convinced it be worth a lot more.

Maybe largely true, however, there are units like my Pioneer VSX-D902S that can be put in what Pioneer calls "direct" mode. This bypasses all tone controls and isolates the audio section which essentially lets the receiver operate in two-channel mode. This is how I run mine and it sounds great to me. I had a Sherwood Newcastle at one time that also had this feature.
 
FWIW, Ive played with the cd direct bypass button(cd straight) on the lux r 113, theres a very slight difference in SQ, but its very small difference and not worth it as I prefer a small bass boost for my amphion one18
 
I don't fully understand the difference between MOSFET and what isn't even after googling it and reading a little bit - but wanted to chime in been using a Denon PMA-920 for a few months now and really enjoying it - but do not believe this fit the criteria above.
 
The R-113 is probably about the best bottom of the line receiver out there. It also makes a very nice preamp if you happen to find a nice power amp.
 
The R-113 is probably about the best bottom of the line receiver out there. It also makes a very nice preamp if you happen to find a nice power amp.

Never heard the R-113, but discarding technologies and speaking purely of performance, my R-117 easily sounds better than our Marantz 2330B & Kenwood KR-9600 (both of which cost more these days) and even bests our Yamaha M70/C70 poweramp/preamp separates.

I've heard enough good things about the R-113 & R-115 that I wouldn't hesitate to if pick one up if presented with an opportunity; cheap or not.
 
Back
Top Bottom