• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Late Night Listening

I remember reading an interview with Les Paul and he mentioned doing most of his recording at night because the grid was cleaner- and this was back in the late 1950's, or early 60's.
 
I'm no phshrink, so I wouldn't begin to refute that statement, but what would then be the source of the myth? Is it just a way of putting a visual image to a concept that we can't see? There certainly is a difference in the way people approach life, whether logically, emotionally, creatively, or whatever. Some people excel at finding creative, outside-the-box solutions and love to improvise, while others can't seem tie their shoes without a planned order of steps, yet they can plan a highly complex process down to the most minute detail. Is the left/right brain myth simply an invention to explain that difference?

I really wonder how much of my brain does get used, and why, when we all have roughly 3 pound of gray matter, some people are so brilliant and others not so much.

My sister is a clinical psychologist, and this will make for an interesting discussion when I see her over the holidays.

I read at one point that the 10% is a misquote from when the first complete mapping of the brain's activity was underway. When the article was written, up to that point in time they had mapped 10% of the brains activity. And also I remember reading that it may be that only 10% of the brain at one given moment is engadged in an activity, however the areas change constantly, it is almost always about the same amount of activity.

Here is part of a Nova special about the brain and music. It is interesting to see just how many areas of the brain are used for active listening.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=AUT9UTVrwp8
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Again it seems, science is so apt to only see what it is looking for, (or in context) what it is looking at...

With something as subjective in experience as listening to electronically reproduced music, sometimes I wonder if left-brainers are handicapped from "letting go" and recreating the performance in their mind based on what they hear, and enjoying the event to its fullest... I don't know, maybe we should offer some kind of handicap permit sticker to allow them an up front "sweet spot" seat, like a close parking space, to help level the playing field a bit and show that we (audiophiles) are a benevolent and caring lot.

:beatnik:
 
Again it seems, science is so apt to only see what it is looking for, (or in context) what it is looking at...

With something as subjective in experience as listening to electronically reproduced music, sometimes I wonder if left-brainers are handicapped from "letting go" and recreating the performance in their mind based on what they hear, and enjoying the event to its fullest... I don't know, maybe we should offer some kind of handicap permit sticker to allow them an up front "sweet spot" seat, like a close parking space, to help level the playing field a bit and show that we (audiophiles) are a benevolent and caring lot.

:beatnik:

Good idea.

I like the saying, "a willing suspension of disbelief". Some are more willing.
 
I think that light might have something to do with it, and that the world around you is just quieter, in terms of noise but also general activity.
No distractions, or at least not as many, our brain reacts to sounds even if we are not aware of them.

The brain should process sound better when well rested though, and the times where I have messed up my night cycle completely and gotten out of bed at 2-3 at night, made for some excellent listening sessions.

Night time + well rested = deep listening.
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Good idea.

I like the saying, "a willing suspension of disbelief". Some are more willing.

I like it too,
and have found it to be a very utilitarian phrase to get at what can happen if enough things are, close enough to right in a kit...

and then there is just music,

and a performance,

and happy listeners.

:beatnik: Listening to the Decemberists -The King is Dead.
 
Audio will always sound better at night.

This has to do with the fact that during the day there is quantum and wave interference of photons impinging on the speaker drivers which effects sonic coherence of the audio transducers as well as in room photonic and audio wave interaction (standing wave reinforcement and cancellation that effects audio purity and accuracy).





:tongue:
 
I get up early many morning for the sole purpose of listening. At 6am or so my mind is fresh, my ears haven't heard the sounds of the day, my house is very quiet (except now when my 2 college-age kids are home and are STILL up playing game box). At night I'm a litle more tired by midnight, but early morning with a cup of coffee is prime listening time for me.

IMO The grid may have something to do with late nighters but I think the vast majority of the enhanced experience is us.
 
Most of my listening is between 11PM and 5AM. Just works out that way.

I've always been a late night/early morning person. No one is awake. Perfect. No distractions and you can just really cool out, chill, no phone calls, nothing...then just drink some Remy and beer, eat some snacks or a real very late dinner, and play music.

Nighthawk, graveyard shift, groovy! LOL. Even when I was working I really prefered late night, early mornings.

Works for me.

I rarely listen to music on the stereo during daylight hours. Hardly ever. Well, never really. It's 11PM to 4AM or 5AM or so many times "Here comes the sun"!!

It always does really amaze me how FAST the time goes. Look at the clock it's 10:30PM, then 1AM, the 3:45AM, then 5:30AM, then the sun is up. Blows me away really. Time flys when listening to music.
 
Last edited:
Most of my listening is between 11PM and 5AM. Just works out that way.

I've always been a late night/early morning person. No one is awake. Perfect. No distractions and you can just really cool out, chill, no phone calls, nothing...then just drink some Remy and beer, eat some snacks or a real very late dinner, and play music....

....It always does really amaze me how FAST the time goes. Look at the clock it's 10:30PM, then 1AM, the 3:45AM, then 5:30AM, then the sun is up. Blows me away really. Time flys when listening to music.

Two observations:

1. I hope you don't drink the Remy and beer together. I just can't quite picture that.

2. You must have a system that you're really happy with. I'm content (for now) with mine, I'm also a bit of a night-owl, yet I've don't remember ever watching the sun come up as I was listening.

Sounds like a very nice place you're in.
 
Two observations:

1. I hope you don't drink the Remy and beer together. I just can't quite picture that.

2. You must have a system that you're really happy with. I'm content (for now) with mine, I'm also a bit of a night-owl, yet I've don't remember ever watching the sun come up as I was listening.

Sounds like a very nice place you're in.

Remy and Guiness...my favorite combination!! But most any imported beer will do fine.

I'm very happy with my system. I've seen the sun come up so many times, like 35% of the time. It's like: Oh, here we go again, the suns commin up! Just happens that way a lot. Not crazy about seeing the sun come up, except for the fact that I made it another day! LOL. But it happens. I do like the dark hours when everyone is asleep. Just me and my music. And Remy and Guiness. :)
 
Last edited:
Remy and Guiness...my favorite combination!! But most any imported beer will do fine.

Wow. Maybe it's time for me to expand my horizons yet again. I put myself through college and worked in some pretty nice restaurants tending bar (about 15 years) and that's a combination I've never seen or tried. It's amazing what one can learn in this place!
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

There are audio equipment tweaks,
room tuning,
and the final frontier...
listener modification!!! :D
Cheers gentleman, Merry Christmas.

:beatnik:
 
What a great discussion.

My opinion is that the real answer lies with Robinhawaii's explanation of brain wave patterns.

I am a creative director at an ad agency and have over the years become adept at switching willy nilly between being analyitical and creative and am acutely aware of how I am thinking and which side of my brain is being used.

Without a doubt (in my mind) late at night when I have beaten the beta patterns into submission and am riding the crests of alpha and theta waves, music sounds better because i am closer to the emotional content.


Art
 
Last edited:
There are audio equipment tweaks,
room tuning,
and the final frontier...
listener modification!!! :D
Cheers gentleman, Merry Christmas.

:beatnik:

There is a product for listener modification.
It exists now.

Beta blockers.

Soon the audio snake oil salesmen will be marketing this:

Isolation Platforms for The Mind.


Art
 
Last edited:
What an excellent topic!

I am convinced psychological factors contribute to experiencing music different at night.

Once i listened to some music while being particulary exhausted, both physically and mentally. I found myself unable to "judge" the music and in fact couldn't determin if it was music i liked or not. The music seemed to come straight into the mind without any obstacles, in fact i became so engaged and involved in the music that i became the music itself!
These factors perhaps to a lesser degree could easily apply during late night sessions.

Another factor i experienced during a prolonged time on a smal boat at sea.
After 2 weeks of just the sound of the ocean and nothing else a partyboat with big discospeakers turned up and the sound just blew me away! In retrospect the sound could never have been that good as i was determined to check out the gear that produced this great sound and jumped on board to find a very disappointing system.

I swear i didn't use any drugs at the time. Which also can have a profound effect but that could be a different topic altogether:D I think we should!!
 
I'm an evening listener also, usually 10-12pm with lights out and a glass of wine (red please). Ironically I dodn't listen to relax but rather listen beacuse I am relaxed. If I have too many things bugging me like bills, IRS, unmet deadlines due in the morning etc. I just can't get into the groove(pun intended). So I guess my listening is a reward for having done everything I should do.
 
I've long noted that listening later in the evening and into the night brings out the best in my setup. However, I attribute that mostly to the fact that, when I listen later, that invariably means that my system has been "warming up" the whole day- sometimes 12-hours or more. Once it's had a chance to stew for a good long time, everything comes together nicely. On the rare occasion that I listen to my system just after turning it on, be it day or night, I'm usually less than impressed with it until its warmed up for 3/4-1 hour.
 
I rarely stay up this late (2:30 am) but insomnia forced me into it.
I drug out several records and found that I was enjoying them more than I normally do.
I was trying to decide whether it was because of the subdued lighting (no bright daylight) or if the fact the electrical grid may be cleaner during the wee hours. Maybe its because my mind is clearer (not on work) and more focused.
Has anyone else noticed this and what are your thoughts on the subject?

In general, I find music just sounds better in the dark. While typing this, Sheena Easton's "My Cherie" playing and I am hearing the bass line in a way that never presents itself in daylight or with artificial light on. The sound stage is better and there is just a presence to music that will just never happen in bright light.
 
Back
Top Bottom