• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

latest full range folly - JVC SP-UX7000

marqueemoon

Gimme indie rock!
I picked up a pair of these over the weekend. They were the stock speakers in their FS-7000 "executive" mini system from the late 90's. So far I've tried them with the NAD 3150 in the kitchen and the chip amp and tube amp in my office. Compared to my Kanspeas they are a little less forward sounding. With the NAD the quality and quantity of bass was really surprising. That was by far the best match. They're not the most natural sounding speaker ever, but I'm willing to give some of that up for the imaging. Plus, as speakers go they are about as cute as they get.

23988319360_25a92e93be_n.jpg
23982315349_14cabe4f6c.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
What are your impressions?? I'm on a tiny speaker kick of late.

I really like them with the NAD. My usual speakers in the kitchen are Minimus 7Ws. These have a little more pep. Elements of the mix seem to pop out a little more, but not in an obnoxious way.

To my ears they were not a great match with my TS Audio tube amp. A little too vague/soft. I think I like them a little better than the Kanspeas in my desktop setup with my Topping TP-30. The Kanspeas can sound brittle and harsh with it on some material. They are deep for small speakers desktop placement is not the best. They fit perfectly on my Audioengine stands though.

I wished they reached even the slightest bit lower. I think they would integrate better with a sub that way, but that's something I want to try.
 
I really like them with the NAD. My usual speakers in the kitchen are Minimus 7Ws. These have a little more pep. Elements of the mix seem to pop out a little more, but not in an obnoxious way.

To my ears they were not a great match with my TS Audio tube amp. A little too vague/soft. I think I like them a little better than the Kanspeas in my desktop setup with my Topping TP-30. The Kanspeas can sound brittle and harsh with it on some material. They are deep for small speakers desktop placement is not the best. They fit perfectly on my Audioengine stands though.

I wished they reached even the slightest bit lower. I think they would integrate better with a sub that way, but that's something I want to try.
first AK post !
i have these jvc's as well, along with a pair of minimus 7's. i use them with a marantz 2216, i love them both, for different reasons of course.
i'm thinking about upgrading the drivers, doing some research now.
 
first AK post !
i have these jvc's as well, along with a pair of minimus 7's. i use them with a marantz 2216, i love them both, for different reasons of course.
i'm thinking about upgrading the drivers, doing some research now.

Welcome! I'm still really liking these. As computer speakers they are just about perfect.

I would not change the drivers, personally.
 
There was another thread on these a while back. These have surprisingly good imaging. I have a couple pairs, including the rare wood cone version. I have a pair in the bedroom at my fiancee's house, with some Cambridge Audio 8" woofers under the bed to fill in the lows. Very fun and very cute!
 
i've seen the wood cone ones, they do look cool, i've thought about getting a set on the round ones too.
as i'm typing this, i just had the driver out, taking some measurements, i'm fixing to get on the phone with parts-express and see what they have that'll do size wise
 
Do these have some kind of 'crossovers' / notch filters or similar or are they running totally open?
It seems most full range drivers from parts-express would benefit from having their midrange tamed.
 
i see the AN 6.5's in the background. I am a big fan of their drivers. have the 12's in baffles. i would think they sound much better than the jvc altho slightly larger
 
I'd like to run these on the Stax amps here, put them in the middle of a big looking speaker box and surprise people when I take the front off.
 
this.JPG new drivers came today, they went in pretty easy, the speaker terminals took a little finesse, the mounting screws were a tad off, i'll dress that up.
as for sound, first thing i noticed, clarity was improved, and maybe overall bandwidth, as i said though, it's just been an hour or so, so we'll see how things shape up over the next few days.
 
I ealways liked the looks of these, but haven't heard them. They're plenty listed on fleabay, usually for decent prices.
I could see these supplemented with a sub. Minimus 7's with a 12 inch sub sound surprisingly amazing!
 
View attachment 835470 new drivers came today, they went in pretty easy, the speaker terminals took a little finesse, the mounting screws were a tad off, i'll dress that up.
as for sound, first thing i noticed, clarity was improved, and maybe overall bandwidth, as i said though, it's just been an hour or so, so we'll see how things shape up over the next few days.
Pretty cool looking driver!
 
I ealways liked the looks of these, but haven't heard them. They're plenty listed on fleabay, usually for decent prices.
I could see these supplemented with a sub. Minimus 7's with a 12 inch sub sound surprisingly amazing!

Pretty cool looking driver!

after a couple of days, the drivers have really opened up, more sparkle up top, mids have filled out, bass is nice, i'm using them at my desktop, nearfield, don't really think i need a sub in the set up,
if in a room situation, i'd say probably so. i easily prefer these to the minimus 7's. soundstage and imaging vastly superior to the minimus 7's. and they look so much better to boot.
for $100(speakers and drivers) + $150 for the marantz 2216 , this set up is the best speaker setup i've had at the computer. i've had m-audio av30, audioengine a2, psb ps1,these are really good, and were my favorite.
 
Back
Top Bottom