• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

Problem solved:

C220 + MC2102 = +/- MA2275

I've heard one, and been highly impressed. I'd try one of these before heading down the more exotic road. You can probably get a dealer to lend you one, if there's a good dealer in your area. If you have trouble, PM Ron-C.

I have pretty good connections with a McIntosh dealer, and they'd take some gear in an easy trade in, as much of that gear came from them in the first place. But as fantastic as that gear sounds (and it really does), it just doesn't push the right buttons in me, and the Leben gear does. I have no rational explanation for it.

If I were rational, I'd try to get my friend to sell me his Yamaha BX-1s for my Quad 63s....

I should add again that I like my separates....this is as much about having less gear that is smaller, as it is having better sounding gear. But I want it all here (at this price I think its ok to be greedy)...smaller footprint, better looking, and better sounding.
 
Last edited:
Be careful, remember the Dixie Chicken...

As in the Little Feat song? I'm a sucker for a pretty face. All I have to lose is the gear that I'm not using anyway....and the ability to say "I have one of those..." in comments on stuff.

Doing some research on this thing, I can't remember the last time I've seen an audio product so universally praised. Usually there's somebody out there who chimes in and says its crap, but I can't find the naysayer here.
 
6 Moons review of the Leben w/ some Harbeth speakers:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system.html

Nice background information on Leben. A bit too much hyperbole on the Sony PlayStation, but I'm OK w/ a little 6 Moons fluff.

Interesting kit and build philosophy.

I read that at some point...but the Playstation 'you have to spend $6000 to get to this level' killed it for me but I like what he had to say. It was apparently Stereophile Class-A, too, and I have the review around here and need to dig it out. I forgot they had even reviewed it until I was googling last night and stumbled across a mention of the review on AA.

I also found the obligatory "its crap" mention from somebody who didn't get any farther than looking at a picture of it. I knew they were out there!
 
Leben :scratch2:

I'd upgrade to 12 if I were you :smoke:

This is very special. If you can see...the numbers all go to a Leben. Look, right across the board...a Leben a leben a leben. And most go up to ten. You're on ten..where can you go from there? Where?
 
This is very special. If you can see...the numbers all go to a Leben. Look, right across the board...a Leben a leben a leben. And most go up to ten. You're on ten..where can you go from there? Where?

If you need that extra push over the cliff, you go to Leben. :lmao:
 
This is very special. If you can see...the numbers all go to a Leben. Look, right across the board...a Leben a leben a leben. And most go up to ten. You're on ten..where can you go from there? Where?

Why don't you just keep what you have and call that a Leben? Wouldn't that be the same?
 
Can you live with a kit that will make Nick Drake sound like he's still alive?

Sounds to me like you want a fling with a small space, low-powered, mid-range tube experience.

As Negotiableterms hinted, are you sure you can do this long term? Or, is it just a crazy mad love affair?
 
...All I have to lose is the gear that I'm not using anyway....and the ability to say "I have one of those..." in comments on stuff.

The gear you're not using is the most important part of your collection. Everyone knows that.

Seriously, it's certainly got good press, and it looks like Luxman stuff. The only thing that concerns me is whether two aspects of it will last:

1. Its resale value, if the company goes the way most audio startups go.
2. Your fascination, which is based a lot on the visual. Once it's in the house, will that romance die?

Nick Drake? You seriously gonna depress you'self. Well... you did say you were thinking "drastic" thoughts...
 
The gear you're not using is the most important part of your collection. Everyone knows that.

Seriously, it's certainly got good press, and it looks like Luxman stuff. The only thing that concerns me is whether two aspects of it will last:

1. Its resale value, if the company goes the way most audio startups go.
2. Your fascination, which is based a lot on the visual. Once it's in the house, will that romance die?

Nick Drake? You seriously gonna depress you'self. Well... you did say you were thinking "drastic" thoughts...

I wouldn't sell everything, and the Luxman gear would stay. But I honestly have been wanting to sell about 1/2 the collection regardless. I'm just not into collecting the gear like I was, too much of it turned out to not sound as good as I had hoped. I like some of it, but only the stuff that I think competes sonically here (like the Luxman gear, which would stay as I need it in another system). There's a lot of stuff I have that just sits on the shelf, like the ARC preamp. I just don't think it sounds that good, so what good is it doing me in the closet? It looks pretty on a shelf, but honestly there aren't that many people that come over and say "wow! You have an original ARC Sp-3a1 in black with the wood case!" After awhile, no matter how cool something is, if you don't run it, its just clutter.
 
Sounds to me like you want a fling with a small space, low-powered, mid-range tube experience.

As Negotiableterms hinted, are you sure you can do this long term? Or, is it just a crazy mad love affair?

I'd be more hesitant if I had to go down to this as my only system. The Quad-based system would stay, as would my Fisher X-202b.
 
Back
Top Bottom