• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

Speaking of raising cash, the Harbeth M40.1 are 14,000 bucks.

Which is why I have Compact 7s.

Looking on Audiogon, a new pair is $13,000 and a used pair can be had for a lot less than that. 40-50% off, and we're talking about a $5,000 int-amp.
[Note to my fellow mods, no one is talking about selling or pricing an actual pair, just strategy on upgrading.]

Before I'd spend a lot on a int-amp I'd clear out some stuff and use the $ to trade up the speakers to the 40.1s. They were magical, IMHO.

Once I had the magic speakers in place, I'd re-evaluate what gear should go with them. I suspect the 40.1s can use more power than the 7s.

I always worry when someone starts upgrading their gear before they max out their speakers. As soon as they upgrade their speakers to their max level (limited by space and budget, etc), they go through another round of costs to get the gear right for the new speakers. Max the speakers first, methinks.
 
And then I get to looking at that 660 amp instead of the 600 integrated and wish there was a way to snag one of those for less than $9900. Stuff like this just doesn't get flipped very often.
 
Looking on Audiogon, a new pair is $13,000 and a used pair can be had for a lot less than that. 40-50% off, and we're talking about a $5,000 int-amp.
[Note to my fellow mods, no one is talking about selling or pricing an actual pair, just strategy on upgrading.]

Before I'd spend a lot on a int-amp I'd clear out some stuff and use the $ to trade up the speakers to the 40.1s. They were magical, IMHO.

Once I had the magic speakers in place, I'd re-evaluate what gear should go with them. I suspect the 40.1s can use more power than the 7s.

I always worry when someone starts upgrading their gear before they max out their speakers. As soon as they upgrade their speakers to their max level (limited by space and budget, etc), they go through another round of costs to get the gear right for the new speakers. Max the speakers first, methinks.

I like this.

cubdog
 
Looking on Audiogon, a new pair is $13,000 and a used pair can be had for a lot less than that. 40-50% off, and we're talking about a $5,000 int-amp.
[Note to my fellow mods, no one is talking about selling or pricing an actual pair, just strategy on upgrading.]

Before I'd spend a lot on a int-amp I'd clear out some stuff and use the $ to trade up the speakers to the 40.1s. They were magical, IMHO.

Once I had the magic speakers in place, I'd re-evaluate what gear should go with them. I suspect the 40.1s can use more power than the 7s.

I always worry when someone starts upgrading their gear before they max out their speakers. As soon as they upgrade their speakers to their max level (limited by space and budget, etc), they go through another round of costs to get the gear right for the new speakers. Max the speakers first, methinks.


I have maxed out my speakers, though. The Compact 7s really were what I wanted. I don't actually want the 40.1, when I think about it, because there's a chance my work will take me to NYC, and the 40.1 has a reputation for not working as well as the Compact 7 in smaller rooms.

And I have a full range speaker solution already...the Quad 63 monitors sitting on top of their matching Gradient dipole woofers. That's about 5' of speaker right there...hopefully that is 'maxed out' :). That system is done...it's not being sold, and the Levinson and my Dynaco power that when its set up (I often just run the Quads alone full range). The McCormack linestage works well with it, I've already tried it out.

My initial post shouldn't be taken to say that I'm selling everything to buy the Leben. Just the unused stuff...there's quite a bit in use here. I would have the Leben/Harbeth system and the Quad/Levinson system. I would hope that's enough :music: I have a lot more fun switching sources, anyway.

and why I have the P3ESR...just sayin'!

And they're enough, right? You've said many times how much you love them and I know you've had bigger speakers in the past. This idea of 'maxing out' everything is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I have been living with a system that, if new prices were added up (not what I paid), it would be around $30,000. And I listen to the Harbeth system more, because I like it better.
 
Last edited:
And then I get to looking at that 660 amp instead of the 600 integrated and wish there was a way to snag one of those for less than $9900. Stuff like this just doesn't get flipped very often.

I think its a good sign that you don't see this stuff for sale on Audiogon very often.

When Harbeths of any ilk pop up for a good price used, they tend to go quickly.
 
And they're enough, right? You've said many times how much you love them and I know you've had bigger speakers in the past. This idea of 'maxing out' everything is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I have been living with a system that, if new prices were added up (not what I paid), it would be around $30,000. And I listen to the Harbeth system more, because I like it better.

They are enough for the small space they occupy, and they sound fabulous there. I would still like to get the 7's for my living room one day.
 
They are enough for the small space they occupy, and they sound fabulous there. I would still like to get the 7's for my living room one day.

To my ears, the 7s are perfect from the midrange on up. It would be easier for me, and probably sound better, to get a pair of nice subs than to go up to the Monitor 40.1. And one day, I would like to do that, space permitting. I really don't see what advantage the 40.1 would have over Compact 7es3s with a pair of REL subwoofers.
 
3AMotionSound.jpg


cs600.jpg


DSC_2012-1.jpg


DSC_2013.jpg


DSC_2014.jpg


DSC_2015.jpg


home.gif


leben_cs600_open.jpg


leben600.gif


Leben600B.gif
 
Indulge yourself. Sell off the stuff in the closets and buy the Leben and use it on the Quads, generally stats and EL34s go together like bacon and eggs.

Nice integrated amps set you free, they get the gear monkey off your back.
 
jeez Deli....you aren't helping me here! I once bought a TT from a man who drove a well-worn Honda Civic. I went to his house and his collection of audio toys was staggering. Clearly he could have driven most any car available but chose to spend his money on his true passion. Nothing wrong with a Honda (I love my Acura) but it's stuff like that Leben that stops me from replacing my 9 year old car with 160K with something new and zoomy.
 
Indulge yourself. Sell off the stuff in the closets and buy the Leben and use it on the Quads, generally stats and EL34s go together like bacon and eggs.

Nice integrated amps set you free, they get the gear monkey off your back.

Yeah, I've started my "Leben fund". Right now its just an empty envelope. I'm tired of the gear monkey...a fun learning experience but I know what I like now. I've run EL-34s on the stats and you're absolutely right...and it's really fantastic when I have the Gradient crossover cutting off the bass to the Quads, using solid state on the dipole woofers. If I had a separate room for this stuff, I'd just set up that system full time and probably be done with it.

jeez Deli....you aren't helping me here! I once bought a TT from a man who drove a well-worn Honda Civic. I went to his house and his collection of audio toys was staggering. Clearly he could have driven most any car available but chose to spend his money on his true passion. Nothing wrong with a Honda (I love my Acura) but it's stuff like that Leben that stops me from replacing my 9 year old car with 160K with something new and zoomy.

Yeah, my car is ten years old. I like it and it's doing ok. Friends of mine with the best gear aren't loaded, they just make different compromises and they're really happy with it.

And no, Deli...you're not helping! Ok, you are helping...in the direction that I plan to go. It looks even better in person.
 
Yeh, we bought two average cars for the price of one nameplate vehicle. We chose not to compete with the neighbors.
Plus, it leaves extra money for good hifi deals when they come around.
JohnVF,
Are you thinking Leben EL34 Integrated?
 
I once bought a TT from a man who drove a well-worn Honda Civic. I went to his house and his collection of audio toys was staggering. Clearly he could have driven most any car available but chose to spend his money on his true passion......



Indeed; I know many audiophiles with VERY expensive gear who drive clunker cars and live in modest circumstances. The stereotype that people who use expensive gear are self indulgently wealthy is untrue.
 
To my ears, the 7s are perfect from the midrange on up. It would be easier for me, and probably sound better, to get a pair of nice subs than to go up to the Monitor 40.1. And one day, I would like to do that, space permitting. I really don't see what advantage the 40.1 would have over Compact 7es3s with a pair of REL subwoofers.

I'm using a small REL with the P3's and it works quite nicely.
 
This choice is really a no-brainer.

Something you're gonna use, or a closet full of "queens" that are only going to collect dust.

You gain enjoyment, you gain aesthetics, and you gain room by "cutting the fat". you are awarded the freedom of not being constrained by your belongings. you gain some extra cash.

What do you lose? You lose clutter, you lose baggage.

The Leben, the Levinson, the Quads, and the Harbeths are all excellent pieces of kit- new, vintage and somewhere in-between. Great gear.

A few other pieces around, and you've got a nice few backups, without a pile of un-needed hoo-ha.

It's a no-brainer.
 
jeez Deli....you aren't helping me here! I once bought a TT from a man who drove a well-worn Honda Civic. I went to his house and his collection of audio toys was staggering. Clearly he could have driven most any car available but chose to spend his money on his true passion. Nothing wrong with a Honda (I love my Acura) but it's stuff like that Leben that stops me from replacing my 9 year old car with 160K with something new and zoomy.

You deserve it too. You work hard and make people happy with your great cuisine.

All I ask for my help is a large cheese and pepperoni pizza.
 
"All I ask for my help is a large cheese and pepperoni pizza."

If you ever get to Chicago I'll be offended if you don't give me a heads up.
 
The Leben is on my short list as well. I may even move it up the list as it is just so beautiful. I dont have Harbeths yet....But I am enjoying my Grant Fidelity RBS-1's tremendously. Just hope they finish breaking in soon. I think your envelope will be full rather quickly once you start seriously selling off you excess gear. Best of luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom