• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

tumblr_ky6uwrFqex1qzvqipo1_500.jpg
 
Weren't you into Luxman tube gear for about 5 minutes? The Leben gear is from the guy who used to design their tube gear (thanks Watt....I did find that mentioned, too, elsewhere...neat). I also read that the company builds transformers, etc, and that the audio division is a work of love from the designer, because he likes to do it. The gear is hand built, point to point wiring.

If i could afford it, I wouldnt mind one bit having a Leben amp or even trying a preamp....with the great speaks you have, you will be happy as a dog with two tails, or a cat with extra whiskers.:thmbsp:
 
Seems like there is enough interest - I'll talk to Charlie and make tentative arrangements for a morning on the town at their stereo showroom, and bookend a visit to our vintage stereo museum at the back end. :thmbsp:

Any Saturday that's not Nov. 5 would work for me.
 
John,

Don't do anything till you have a chance to see for yourself their production facility.

At least do the factory tour.
http://lebenhifi.com/factorytour.html

They are located not far from Osaka.

Less than three hours on the Shinkansen Bullet train from Tokyo ( 2 hours 18-33 minutes )!
http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Amagasaki

Shinkansen to Osaka
http://www.seat61.com/Japan.htm

There are several nice Jazz clubs in Tokyo that features the Leben amp/products..........:yes: :D

( From what i have read ) :scratch2:
 
John,

Don't do anything till you have a chance to see for yourself their production facility.

At least do the factory tour.
http://lebenhifi.com/factorytour.html

They are located not far from Osaka.

Less than three hours on the Shinkansen Bullet train from Tokyo ( 2 hours 18-33 minutes )!
http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Amagasaki

Shinkansen to Osaka
http://www.seat61.com/Japan.htm

There are several nice Jazz clubs in Tokyo that features the Leben amp/products..........:yes: :D

( From what i have read ) :scratch2:

I love that the 'factory' is the designer and his three sweet, modest looking lady friends. How odd is that? I want it even more now. I wonder if they are family?

A good friend of mine is trying to talk me out of it, instead reminding me that he can get a deal on the new Pass Labs preamp (not because he would profit, he's a rep). Hmm..I don't know that it would solve my issue, but one of my issues is that I find that my Marantz Reference preamp isn't quite to my liking.

I still think the Leben's going to be the winner.
 
One thing that IS for sure...if you buy it and for some reason aren't thrilled with it there's no shortage of Chicago AKers to buy it, and you probably won't lose a dime.
 
A good friend of mine is trying to talk me out of it, instead reminding me that he can get a deal on the new Pass Labs preamp

Man, that thing's like $16.5K list new. You can generally get new/demo Pass equipment at about 2/3rds list no sweat, but you're still talking $10K for just the preamp...and it ain't even got a phono stage for that coin. I haven't even seen a used one yet, so you might not be able to even buy one for $10K.
 
Man, that thing's like $16.5K list new. You can generally get new/demo Pass equipment at about 2/3rds list no sweat, but you're still talking $10K for just the preamp...and it ain't even got a phono stage for that coin. I haven't even seen a used one yet, so you might not be able to even buy one for $10K.

Nah, we were talking about the one that's around $5,000. The XP-10, I think. If I could hear it at home, which is a possibility, I might be more persuaded and it would, in the end, be easier for me to acquire for less money with a trade in and discount, than the Leben. My friend has good taste in gear and knows his way around a stereo, but we have different taste- he leans more towards a big, impressive sound and I lean towards tonality, timbre and soundstage. He was with me when I bought the Levinson, actually...but that amp has always needed a different preamp than what I ended up using with it. Not to say that I couldn't tackle that problem another day, as I have plenty to run with it in the meantime.
 
C'mon John, if it's just the sound there are many ways to go other than the Leben besides the Pass stuff. Sometimes, with some people, there comes the point when you know there's all kinds of stuff that sounds great (or great enough) and other things begin to appeal, such as style. Which the Leben has in spades. But Pass? Who knows what it looks like and who cares, it's generically styled "high end", high quality gear.
 
I'm a bit confused about your two existing systems. Are the Quads in one room while the Harbeths are in another, in the same place, or is one system in Chicago and one in L.A.?
 
I'm a bit confused about your two existing systems. Are the Quads in one room while the Harbeths are in another, in the same place, or is one system in Chicago and one in L.A.?

Actually there are three systems here. The Harbeths on McCormack & Dynaco, the Fisher X-202c with my Sony SS-m7s, and the Quads/Gradient subs, which are with the Levinson and a Luxman amp in my bedroom of all places.

I'd actually probably keep most of that gear but there's a good chance I'd sell the Levinson if the Leben works out. It sounds good but has absolutely zero personality (it looks like an HP computer from 1999, laying on its side). The gear in the closet would go away, and there's a lot of stuff in the closet.
 
Nine pages devoted to John's current audio fantasy. Interesting. :scratch2::D

cubdog

I was thinking that today...wow, this thread went a bent longer than I expected. Part of me wishes I had the kind of money to just throw at something like this, but I don't- so I'm glad you're all here to think this through with me.
 
Nine pages devoted to John's current audio fantasy. Interesting. :scratch2::D

cubdog

High-rise apartment in the city and a cool job that jet-sets him back and forth to L.A....not to mention a very impressive cache of top quality audio gear: Yeah, I'm living vicariously through these pages!
 
I thought you liked the Marantz? And what happened to the Pioneer Elite that was in the bedroom?

It cracks me up that I know you had certain equipment in different places of your apartment. Weird.
 
Last edited:
High-rise apartment in the city and a cool job that jet-sets him back and forth to L.A....not to mention a very impressive cache of top quality audio gear: Yeah, I'm living vicariously through these pages!

The reality is, I've been sitting at my desk in my office at work all weekend, in front of a tiny little, dying, Knight KG-240 tube amp the size of a small shoebox, with an annoying hum, playing MP3s, into Fostex monitors scored in a thrift store. And next stop is glorious Plano Texas, instead of LA...:music: So the real me wants to live vicariously through the imaginary me as well.
 
I'm working 60-70 hrs a week in a pizza place while trying to listen to a pair of Klipsch KBS 1.1 and a Ratshack Accurian amp playing MP3s. The fact that the pizza place is mine only makes it slightly tolerable.
 
Back
Top Bottom