• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Left Reel Lock-Up on my Sony TC-366

DordTrain

New Member
I have a sony tc-366 reel to reel machine that I use occasionally to listen to music. Today, after doing so, the machine stopped spinning the reels. I took the cover off and discovered that everything worked fine, the right reel and motors all spun okay, but the left wheel was extremely locked in place. I could turn it with enough force but it feels like there is a large brake on it. The tape-stop lever is not in place, I lifted both of the brakes up and out of the way and the resistance continued. I removed the screw on the front of the reel, and it was still resisting. It wouldn't even come off the machine. No clue what is going on, and I don't want to just wd-40 it because when I tried that last time it ruined the machine by making it too slippery. Video here of me fast-forwarding and attempting to rewind: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zw95zzRrglMCPSC8M5waNBJnnuoDCLEx/view?usp=sharing. Hope you guys have some solutions, let me know if you need more videos or images.
Thanks,
A distressed 17-year-old.
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a second brake on the supply reel table for regulating the back tension, it is controlled by the tape tension regulator arm under the head cover (it’s the first lever that the tape runs under, just before the motor switch and trip lever for the stop mechanism). Maybe the linkage for it has come loose or the tape is somehow not being threaded under it properly. As the tape pulls up against the lever it should raise up and back off on the supply reel table tension. With no tape loaded the back tension brake will be fully engaged. The adjustment procedure is covered in the service manual available on hifi engine. Definitely do not spray lubricant on any of that stuff or it’ll never work right again.
 
Got it, I just adjusted the little screw in the back so that was screwing straight into the left wheel, apparently it's to hold it down or something. Anyways, its fixed now.
 
Back
Top Bottom