• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lepy LP-A1 Class-D amplifier

bikingbuddha

Well-Known Member
Hi everybody...! , I've been doing some research to find an ultra cheap solid state amplifier to connect my headphones to the 6N3 Matisse clone tube amplifier. There were so many available online and many of the helpful audiokarma members had recommended me so many models etc. But then i came across this thing called "LEPY LP-A1" Class-D amplifier and it was 14$ with shipping and seemed like dirt cheap when i looked at the picture. I Searched for the information about this amplifier but i couldn't find any online. Only few un-boxing videos. So i decided to order it to see how it is....

It took almost two months to arrive and few days back it came. I connected it with a 12V 3A AC to DC adapter (It doesn't come with a power adapter) and connected it to 6N3.

Honestly i was surprised. It sounded really good and everything was perfect for it's price point which i paid. I still haven't taken it apart to see what's inside fearing i might break it. So i decided to write a little bit about it to audiokarma so maybe in the future it will be useful to someone like me who is looking for a ultra cheap amp.

I tried it with my audio technica's, KZ IEM's, etc and they sound out of this world with this little amp. ( Yes i know what you are thinking, i don't own any high end equipment but i do feel the good sound and its vibe :D )

I am planing on opening it up and taking some pictures and then post it later on the thread.Lepy-LP-A1-LP-A1-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Headphones-Amplifier-2-Channel-Amp.jpg download.jpg Lepy-LP-A1-LP-A1-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Headphones-Amplifier-20-20W-2-0.jpg images.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Well here is a surprising fact. Two days back i bought my first high end headphones. They may not be high end to you but for me they are super high end. Sennheiser HD650. Just to see what happens, i plugged the HD650 to this and played music with my notebook foorbar to 6N3 matisse clone tube amp and then to the amplifier above. They were able to drive HD650 at very loud volumes. I can only turn the volume controller 40% up and that's the maximum. Any more than that i will go deaf.

I am kind of surprised because everywhere people say HD650 needs a decent amp. Well!!! it works with one above and sounds alright.
 
It's not so much about the quantity of current as it is about the quality.

Those little amps perform best with a clean, and stable power supply. A clean, regulated, non-switching supply is ideal.

A couple basic examples of a clean DC source:

images


59c14d6f-fcea-4174-9da2-55bd587a9fc5.jpg


There are also better compact switching supplies such as those used to power some laptops that are easily sourced, and make for a pretty good power supply for these little amplifiers.
 
It's not so much about the quantity of current as it is about the quality.

Those little amps perform best with a clean, and stable power supply. A clean, regulated, non-switching supply is ideal.

A couple basic examples of a clean DC source:

images


59c14d6f-fcea-4174-9da2-55bd587a9fc5.jpg


There are also better compact switching supplies such as those used to power some laptops that are easily sourced, and make for a pretty good power supply for these little amplifiers.
Thank you for the information, i think i can find a laptop power supply for the time being.
 
If I am correct, the Lepy amps can take up to 24 volts at 6a. As previously stated the higher amperage will provide exceptional bass. There is a huge thread here on AK about the class D amps and is full of info about these amazing little amps. Most of the discussion is about standard amps not headphone amps, but their is a whole lot of general info that will be useful to you. I have a 20w Lepy amp that I picked up for $9 and I was very surprised at its output.
 
If I am correct, the Lepy amps can take up to 24 volts at 6a. As previously stated the higher amperage will provide exceptional bass. There is a huge thread here on AK about the class D amps and is full of info about these amazing little amps. Most of the discussion is about standard amps not headphone amps, but their is a whole lot of general info that will be useful to you. I have a 20w Lepy amp that I picked up for $9 and I was very surprised at its output.

I am just having a hard time believing what i am hearing. Seriously!!! i just want to write about it because someday someone will look for these information and they will find it in audiokarma. Yesterday i have sold my beloved Marantz SR-73 receiver. I wanted money to buy a good headphone amplifier so i sold my old gear which is not much of use to me anymore. That left me with my favorite tower speakers from Marantz LS850. I promised my self never to sell them whatever the circumstance that may come so here they are without an amplifier to power them. This morning, i hooked up the LEPY CLASS-D amp just to see what happens. I was shocked by the sound that is emanating from speakers. They sounded louder, clearer and better than my old marantz or yamaha. This is amazing, this little thing is driving those big towers with a small power supply of 12V 3A.

IMG_20170914_081106.jpg
 
If I am correct, the Lepy amps can take up to 24 volts at 6a. As previously stated the higher amperage will provide exceptional bass. There is a huge thread here on AK about the class D amps and is full of info about these amazing little amps. Most of the discussion is about standard amps not headphone amps, but their is a whole lot of general info that will be useful to you. I have a 20w Lepy amp that I picked up for $9 and I was very surprised at its output.
If you have the link to this thread. please let me know.
 
Believe it or not, this is powering my HD6XX till i get my self a proper amp and it doesn't sound half bad compared to my other sources like direct connection to Notebook sound out or my mobile phone. I paired it up with my 6N3 Preamp (Sainsmart) and then used laptop as the source. Suddenly bass came alive with warmth just like most of the tube amps.

I guess i can live with this until i decide on which amplifier i buy for my HD-6XX.

IMG_20181021_153605.jpg
 
Your experience reflects mine. These little amps seem to really benefit from the drive of an active preamp.

I am surprised about how much paid for it and what it delivers. They may be nothing in charts and graphs but it doesn't really matter to me because i can't really hear the charts and graphs. :)

Adding the 6N3 tube pre amp gives a night and day difference to the sound quality while using HD650.
 
I finally managed to open it up and take pictures so here I am sharing it for the more knowledgeable people. I have no idea how much of power this thing puts out via headphone jack. It will very good information if someone knows and willing to share it on this thread.

IMG_20181024_130343.jpg IMG_20181024_130252.jpg IMG_20181024_130246.jpg
 
Not too surprised. I have an earlier generation Lepai 2020A+ with a 6 amp power supply driving a set of Magneplanar MMG's (4 ohm planar difficult to drive speakers) in my bedroom. Up to a comfortable listening level (86-88 db or so) level they sound amazingly good. Those little class D chip amps have come a long ways. I read someplace that low output class D amps actually sound better than the higher powered ones. Dunno if true haven't really listened to any high power ones.
 
Not too surprised. I have an earlier generation Lepai 2020A+ with a 6 amp power supply driving a set of Magneplanar MMG's (4 ohm planar difficult to drive speakers) in my bedroom. Up to a comfortable listening level (86-88 db or so) level they sound amazingly good. Those little class D chip amps have come a long ways. I read someplace that low output class D amps actually sound better than the higher powered ones. Dunno if true haven't really listened to any high power ones.

This definitely is a great find because this will be very useful to people like myself who are in super low budget yet wants some quality music as well.

Yesterday I tried it on my IEM's with a bit of critical listening in my mind looking for their weakness. This amp is nothing but awesome bass on my KZ IEM's.
 
Please explain to me how this unit can dump even 5 watts of heat off the chip without any heat sink installed on it.
It doesn't generate any heat because the transistors in the chip are either completely off or completely on. This is a Class D switching amplifier which toggles on and off very fast at a very high frequency. The width of the square wave is modulated to generate audio. Look up pulse width modulation on the web.
 
Please explain to me how this unit can dump even 5 watts of heat off the chip without any heat sink installed on it.
Like I said... Earlier... I'm not an expert on these. I'm here to learn and share. My honest to the core answer is. " I have no clue..."

I think I should pass this question on to someone way more technicaly inclined than me. All I know is it is Cole as ice even after one hour or running.
 
It doesn't generate any heat because the transistors in the chip are either completely off or completely on. This is a Class D switching amplifier which toggles on and off very fast at a very high frequency. The width of the square wave is modulated to generate audio. Look up pulse width modulation on the web.

Now that's what I call an answer to a question. Thank you!
 
Please explain to me how this unit can dump even 5 watts of heat off the chip without any heat sink installed on it.
My understanding is that these chips generate so little heat due to very high efficiency that most of the energy goes to output with the small percentage that goes to heat actually being dissipated through the circuit board traces which act as a heat sink. On older chips, such as the one on my Lepai 2020A+ a small heat sink was used but the case never gets even warm to the touch.
 
Back
Top Bottom