• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's stir things up around here

Yes, yes....Just tossed in my two cents as I had an experiance so to speak. Just thought to share that experiance all in the spirit of lively conversation I hope! Enjoy! :beerchug:
 
70's Equipment

IMO even the low end 70's stuff from the major players are superior audio wise to the boom-boxes and low-end AV receivers of today.

Of course the TOTL Sansui; Marantz; Pioneer talk about well-built.My favourites are the 100-150 watt mid-line receivers have a few love them. :D :D
 
Don't want to fan the flames ...

but I would have to agree that even in the 60s & 70s models were made to sell at certain 'price points.'
I have only had TOTL models, since the early 70s, though I recently had owned the Pioneer SX-1050, which was number 2 in its' series lineup.
My older brother had the SX-424, the baby of the line in 1972. For what is was, it was a fine little guy.
I would suggest that not until the SX-1010, in 1974, did a *receiver* begin to approach separates territory.
With the SX-1250, and the other '160-watters,' those TOTL receivers (sure, the TOTL 9090/9090DB, too, hard to shake a stick at those guys) could really fool most people trying to guess whether it was separates or the big receiver.

But the electronics weren't the main thing we *hear.* That would be the speaker systems. I certainly had my favorites, and thought others just weren't up to snuff.

I don't think anyone would have been fooled by a system built around the little SX-424, or one of the little brothers from Sansui or Kenwood or Marantz, et. al. But a few years later, with the arrival of those big TOTL receivers, and the GEAR to go with them, well, yes, we begin to get into more rarefied sound territory.
We might still be comparing apples to oranges, but we've somewhat levelled the playing field and other mixed metaphors.
 
Apples and Oranges

I agree with you for the most part. You got what you paid for then and now. You can't really compare then and now. Completely different market and the technology has changed so much as far as component sizes, case sizes and manufacturing techniques that is really is apples and oranges. You have to decide either what you like better or just appreciate both for what they are. I started with a Sansui 2000X then got a Dynaco 400 as a kit. Used the Sansui as a preamp and then moved up to the Phase Linear 4000. The Dyanaco Phase combo just completely trashed the reciever and for the price differences it really should have. My thinking is with current gear you don't see as radical a change as you once did between the different price cataegories. I think they have raised the bar quite a bit between budget gear now and then. The days of brushed aluminum face plates and walnut cases are long gone but the basic electronics are better.

Rob2:)
 
Last edited:
Does it really matter?
I was very young in the 70's but remember well drooling over Japanese gear friends and family had I could not afford at the time.
HI FI,Mid-Fi,Low End did I care then? Did not have a clue what that entailed.
Do I care now? NO!
Can you please define both:
HI-FI?
Mid-Fi?
Was there junk in the 70's? You bet!
Is there junk in 2003? You Bet!
Does it matter the market was flooded and still is by Japanese product? Some good some not so good.NO!
If it wasn't what would most of here be enjoying Today?
A US CRAPTALLION 20 watt amp that they made 20 of and stopped production unable to compeat and cost $2000?
OH! Its US made it has to be better right? Not always the case.I do Love the great USA do not get me wrong.And good things were produced here at that time.
Open up some of these Japanese amps check out the overbuilt chassis transformers the features!
Is it HI-FI? Mid-Fi? Low End?Who gives a Rats a$$!!
Does it sound good? And KICK MAJOR A$$? YES!!
Does it sound better than the modern over claimed 100 watt modern amp at Circuit City for $299.99? Kicks It A$$!!
Do they look cool? AWESOME!!
Do they impress YOU? Your friends? Family? You Bet!
Because a amp,speakers or anything else cost $50,000 does this qulaify it for HI-FI status?
So What! If they were made for a certain price point! When you open 'em do you find cheese in em'?
You might see cheese but I see tank amour!
Does it have to have a certain badge to say HI FI?
Alot of American cars are made in Canada and Mexico does this make them inferior to American built?
NO!
Is my Dodge built in Mexico Mid-Fi,while the Neighbors US built Dodge is HI FI?
I usually steer clear of these kinda debates,but I feel a little brave Today,this I believe has been debated here before.
I now have the gear of my childhood dreams.Does it matter what level someone else might place it at, be it HI FI,Mid-Fi,Low End? NO!
I got it all at very reasonsable prices and will kill most gear costing much much more.
I have heard some of what is considered HI FI Today I am not impressed.
HI FI is like relationships Overated and mis-used!!
Can you truly define HI FI?
When I crank on my gear especially the SPEC Rig it says"A$$ KICKING TIME!" never heard it say(British accent) "Greetings you are experiencing HI FI"




:eek:
 
Last edited:
(BF- I don't understand your defensiveness).

Reply: I am not being defensive, its more a matter of being put-off by some statements that you made, and you dont back them up with anything meaningful that would prove anything. And you still havent. If Sansui was not really good hi fi equipment as you claim, then provide some evidence of that - for instance, does alot of Sansui stereo equipment break down because its not so good as compared to Hafler? Something like that would be a little more more convincing to support your argument instead of just implying its not good because Stereophile magazine hardly reviewed any of them or that virtually no Sansui product has been in that mag's 'exalted' Recommended Components List.


(Please read what I wrote- that not all 70s gear was great. Sansui came into my post because the receiver I had at the time I acquired the Hafler was a Sansui. Didn't say Sansui never made any decent products. Why would I compare Hafler to Dynaco (same engineer, by the way) or anything else? Then, as now, I only feel that Hafler was good sounding equipment for its price- not the best equipment. You're the one who seems to have a problem justifying your stance- that all Sansui gear was the best available)?

Reply: Because Dynaco also made products in kit form like the Hafler you have. And I have no problems justifying anything- if you like your Hafler so much, then by all means, keep enjoying it, I'm not trying to persuade you to replace it with a Sansui, you're free to use whatever hi fi equipment you want, but to say that you think Sansui is just a mediocre product in comparison to Hafler is :bs: 'Hafler-Schmafler', hows that for fun? :)


(Now justify YOUR statement that all Sansui gear is the best there ever was. Bold statement, onus on you, etc- unless I'm now misquoting you)?

REPLY: Take a look at the Forums on this site. Out of all the hi fi brands that are out there to choose from, you might observe that only ONE has its own 'Exclusive Section' on this Site , and that brand is.. "Ill give ya a hint- it starts with an S :smoke:


(Just jabbing at you, BF, but comes really close to your statements, eh? (had to add that last, just because I AM having fun, and I really hope you are too- if not, if I actually have crossed a line with you, let me apologize in advance and I WILL quit this thread)

Reply: Yes, I am having a jolly good time with you Hafler-Man :bash:

Dont worry about crossing any lines, if you want to continue this discussion with some other folks go ahead, but I dont have much desire to go into prolonged debates about it back & forth with you as my plate is full with other things to tend to

B/F :wave:
 
I never thought I'd enjoy sitting by the sidelines. ;)
Don't worry, I'll replying soon...................:naughty:
 
Just ran across this post by reyneman that I thought was good...

And I quote...

"Don't let other's opinions lessen your enjoyment of a system you like. Just sharing some opinions. Want all to listen to what THEY like, this is how our hobby will grow- play what you like on the equipment you like."

AMEN. :D
 
I posted something along these lines but with more detail as to RCA plugs etc in what was at that time not Vintage SS, but Vintage. Man Oh Man!!! I got my ass chewed to hamburger and handed to me! I of course will stand behind every single thing I said.
Fact is that there was lots of very good gear made in the 70s. It sounded good then and does now. Another fact is that chrome plating is not used for RCA plugs, (why not?) and those little clips used for the speaker cables sucked. They still suck!
There has been a whole lot more experimentation in the last 5 years or so than during the 70s and 80s. The results are seen in the better equipment and in the parts for DIY.
Better cables and what were back then patch cords make very little difference in how 70s gear sounds. The reasons are stated before.
Yes, I own, use, enjoy and in some cases really like my 70s gear, and I don't think you can beat the quality for the money in SS gear.

:lazer:

Bonzai!!!!

Yea,....I got rice!!
 
Re: Apples and Oranges

Originally posted by Robh3606
You got what you paid for then and now. You can't really compare then and now. Completely different market and the technology has changed so much as far as component sizes, case sizes and manufacturing techniques that is really is apples and oranges. You have to decide either what you like better or just appreciate both for what they are... My thinking is with current gear you don't see as radical a change as you once did between the different price cataegories. I think they have raised the bar quite a bit between budget gear now and then. The days of brushed aluminum face plates and walnut cases are long gone but the basic electronics are better.

I both agree and disagree. For the most part, you do indeed still get what you pay for now when it comes to hi-fi equipment, just like you did in the '60s and '70s. But I think that there are two major caveats to this principle when comparing then and now:

1) In terms of "high end" audio gear, I believe that the law of diminishing returns is much more obvious now than it was a couple of decades ago. There seem to be far more "cost-no-object" audio components now than ever before ($50,000 amps, $100,000 speaker systems, etc.), and only the tiniest fraction of these components seems even remotely "worth it" - assuming you even have that kind of disposable income, of course!

2) When it comes to "mid-fi" gear (the components you typically see at Best Buy, Circuit City, and so on, which rank below what I would call "budget high-end" gear), I again feel that you typically get LESS than you pay for nowadays. In terms of sound quality, I truly believe that most of this stuff sucks in comparison to its '60s and '70s equivalents. What you're getting instead is a bunch of "lifestyle" features (remote controls, bass enhancement buttons, etc.) that really do nothing to increase the musical fidelity of these components.

In other words, I think that the principle "you get what you pay for" doesn't hold up as well as it used to when it comes to (1) today's most expensive audio gear, and (2) today's least expensive audio gear. But that's just MY opinion...
 
ok, enough of sitting on the sidelines. I've been told I'm a lot like my dad in the sense that I like to observe before putting in my 2 cents.
Instead of countering or responding to the original post or any of the replies,let me offer this food for thought:
A colleague and fellow audiophile who has heard-it-all, seen-it-all, and almost owned-it-all expressed this very simple thought:

"The last time I really enjoyed my system was back in the 70's when I had a very simple system that consisted of ........"

I think what he was getting at is that's when he loved music and the system conveyed the message. Then, the system took over, he got brand conscieous, and worried about the lates magazine review, etc. and perhaps lost touch with the music.

I beleive the same can be said for electronics, whether it be vintage gear, or esoteric, or anything in between. The fact that there are tons of cost-no-object items on the market right now, is that the manufacturers KNOW the money is out ther due to the hi-tech boom.

I customer of mine who lives close by, just bought a set of speakers, and a Tenor amp, becuase:
- he got tired of the WATT 7/Halcro set-up (!)
- he has the money to spend more on gear, honestly believing that the more expensive a product is, the better it will perform.

For most of us average Joe's, there's a lot of gear out there that is superior to vintage stuff mainly because of technological advances. On the other hand, notice how most good sounding gear continues to have very few frills? I think this is where the line in the sand got drawn, the vintage gear had nothing, and the "new" gear has built in eq's, on board surround sound, etc......

My mantra, as well as "stop reading, start listening" will always be to get a good relationship going with a retailer, become his/her friend, and if the relationship is based on that, WHATEVER is on the floor will be of a quality that is appreciated by the vendor, and the customer, as your interests will be similar. Just like 2 guys enjoying the same wine, or movie, or steak dinner, or.........

And that's the differnce between a good retqailer, and a mass market shop. We all know that the guys on the Best Buy/Circuit City sales florr don't give a rats a$$ about the black boxes on the shelves. Labels mean more than anything else.

Walk into a specialty shop, and it's s different world. Real set-ups, salespeople who KNOW the gear becasue they'll played with and set it up. People who are NOT intested in the quick sale, but WANT a long term relationship with conversations over a cup of coffee.

I got this philosophy from the first system I bought from a local retailer, kinda bigbox/specialty hybrid store. The system consisted of a Panasonic turntable, an Sony integrated amp (Ottawa radio sucked back in '79 too) and a set of Videoton speakers. Now, I had never heard of Videoton, but the Sony and Panasonic needed no introduction. The system sounded great, and I bought it. This started a 18 year relationship with the ONLY guy in town that would give a pimple faced high school kid the time of day. He held my hand throught the years, upgrading to Rotel and Mirage, then my first cd player, Technics. Then separates. Then I discovered cables, but that's another story. :)

So, Ray, to requote:

Don't let other's opinions lessen your enjoyment of a system you like. Just sharing some opinions. Want all to listen to what THEY like, this is how our hobby will grow- play what you like on the equipment you like."

Another way to put his is "build your system for you, not the critics."

Once again, Amen brother.

;)
 
Ah, BrianB and Omer, nice responses.

I was just trying to get the blood flowing here at AK (as in discussion, NOT as in flames!).

One of my problems in the audio world is I do find merit in most things audio and look forward to opportunities to share others' enjoyment of their system, making it hard for me to select a single path to follow blindly to MY audio destination.

I was merely trying to balance a trend that sometimes makes it seem as if all things 70s are better than all things current. We need that balance, so a fellow journeyman doesn't overlook a path that leads to his destination, whichever path fits him best.

Besides, I was really bored that day- or mayhaps my meds had worn off:p:
 
well, another way to look at this whole thing is used cars. Why buy a brand new fill-in-the-blank, when an older, even antique car, can be fetched for a LOT less, and does the same thing. I hjust bought a 1990 Ford Ranger that'll take me to work and back. $2500 is a LOT less than the new asking price of $30K plus.:mad: And that still eaves the new car for the wife and kids to get groceries and such. :)

So, it goes without saying that if a fellow audiophile can get an old Marantz 7B for $X, why spend the same money on something new, that might not have the same fun factor, other than bragging rights.?
 
Omer,

You bring back memories, there used to be a small shop across from the Chateau Laurier - other side of the canal, but then they built that big mall. My Polks came from a fancier shop out the other way - now they are back near where they were made.

In line with this thread - I agree - stop reading and start listening. There may be fancier systems out there than what I have, but it does the music justice and that's all we need.

Rob
 
Geez, I thinkthat was called The Sound Center, or "Le Centre De Son". If that is in fact the same place, that's where I heard my first set of Bose 901's properly set-up. Boy, now I feel old.:p:
 
As far as the mid market went I was blown away by the GAS products in the mid-late 70s After hearing many pre amp-power amp combos the GAS were so much more lifelike to me on a set of DQ-10s. Just my two cents.
 
Last edited:
Wow, I'm suprised to hear you say that. I have a GAS servo loop pre that collects dust on my shop shelf that will continue to collect dust until I decide to take it out and set it at the end of the target range. I used it once a while back and quickly ended it's use. I didn't like it at all. But, that's just me... :)
 
Back
Top Bottom