• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LG plasma tv audio/video issue

That's a lot. In a single user environment mine only run for some hours in the evenings after work and before bed, more on weekends if I'm in the house.
 
Finally opened the TV. No bulged caps or loose connections. I have attached a picture of the vertical band and also attached a video of the buzzing sound.
The lower panel ribbon cables had a lot of dust on them - cleaned them. Should I open the ribbon connector and clean it ? It might solve the vertical line problem.
 

Attachments

  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 20
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 21
Have no clue Sir, Guess you tried that by now.
----
My cheapo 32" Visio after one repair/replacement board died again.. had dark spots over the last year anyway so got another Vis. 32" 'D' for wifi (don't use cable since 5 years ago.) 'bout 45$ cheaper over the last buy.
 
Cleaned all the lower ribbons and the slots, and the vertical line is 99% gone. I have attached a picture, it is very faintly visible.
As for the shutting down problem, it is still there.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201011_194858.jpg
    IMG_20201011_194858.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9
The TV runs for 20 min, then sound goes off and the remote stops working. Switching off the power supply and switching on again after sometime fixes the problem, then the same thing happens again after 20min.
 
Meant elyticap, shorthand for electrolytic capacitor.
The electrolytics in this sort of pulse power supply service eventually lose effectiveness due to increased ESR, which can be checked in-circuit with a suitable esr tester.

"elyticap, shorthand for electrolytic capacitor". what an idiot I am, that was a simple abbreviation.

Anyway, which board should I check? I suspect the below board which contains all the inputs and also the speaker connections.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
The TV runs for 20 min, then sound goes off and the remote stops working. Switching off the power supply and switching on again after sometime fixes the problem, then the same thing happens again after 20min.

Found out the cause of this problem. The TV is no longer supporting HD content. The TV shuts down or hangs when I use the HDMI ports. When I connect the firestick, the TV runs for a few minutes and then hangs/freezes. Earlier it used to run fine on the firestick and also supported full HD, although it is not a full HD TV.
I used to connect my PC too with HDMI, but now the TV is not even recognizing it via HDMI. I connected the PC via VGA and it runs fine, though at a max resolution of 1024x768.

Similarly, it can play low resolution videos (640x480) via USB, without any problems.

I think the main AV board is faulty.
 
Talk about bad Karma... We returned from a trip this weekend and the Ol' Plasma looks to have a faulty circuit board. I am getting wierd refresh errors when there is a "busy" background and some horizontal lines. Looks like time for retirement. Not heat related that I can tell. Maybe a bad cable? If I had to guess it looks like a processor is not doing its job.

I may try to blow it out and clean it up a little. But, I expect dust would look more heat related.
 
Talk about bad Karma... We returned from a trip this weekend and the Ol' Plasma looks to have a faulty circuit board. I am getting wierd refresh errors when there is a "busy" background and some horizontal lines. Looks like time for retirement. Not heat related that I can tell. Maybe a bad cable? If I had to guess it looks like a processor is not doing its job.

I may try to blow it out and clean it up a little. But, I expect dust would look more heat related.

Best of luck. Let's hope the cleaning works.
Be sure to clean the ribbon connectors, they tend to get oxidized. Worked for me .
 
perhaps it won't support hdmi ver2.1 ?

No, I don't think it is HDMI 2.1 related. My firestick is not HDMI 2.1 and neither is the PC HDMI. The firestick worked fine on this TV for almost 2 yrs and the PC connection 10yrs.
One thing is clear - whatever electronic gadget you have, you should use it. If not daily, then at least twice or thrice a week.
Mine started giving problems only after I had left it unused for about 2-3 months.
 
Its on The List. I love that plasma, but its odometer has been flipped many times. The number of hours is staggering. I would probably replace with an LED. I know the OLEDs are considered superior for blacks and contrast. However, this screen is used mostly for news, TV, and sports. House floorplan is very open; I can watch from the kitchen, dining table, etc. It is on in the background a lot and often in high ambient light conditions. Since we put a projector in the basement there is no reason to watch a movie here anymore. LED would do fine. $500 looks to be the entry point for a 65 inch model. Amazing.
 
No, I don't think it is HDMI 2.1 related. My firestick is not HDMI 2.1 and neither is the PC HDMI. The firestick worked fine on this TV for almost 2 yrs and the PC connection 10yrs.
One thing is clear - whatever electronic gadget you have, you should use it. If not daily, then at least twice or thrice a week.
Mine started giving problems only after I had left it unused for about 2-3 months.

Who can ever say with certainty in such matters but I opine it's mere coincidence rather than a few months of non use. If that was a major factor there would be many things I have that don't work anymore but they're still working OK.
 
Back
Top Bottom