• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Like a Phoenix, I rise? (Continuation from Intro)

What were some of your audio treasures you found over the years?

Thank you for responding!

T

My best scores:

A Sony DVP-S7000 DVD/CD player, found among DVD players stacked like cordwood at a local thrift...thirty bucks.

A Proton AA-1150 power amp, bought at a local audio meet...thirty-five bucks.

An ADS Atelier T2 tuner, bought in the last minutes of an estate sale...fifteen bucks.

Then, there were the five Marantz monos - they were stripped out of their cases, which had been two mono amps in one chassis, with two power cables. I don't remember the original model number, but they were five bucks a pop at a sale. They sounded good.
 
My best scores:

A Sony DVP-S7000 DVD/CD player, found among DVD players stacked like cordwood at a local thrift...thirty bucks.

A Proton AA-1150 power amp, bought at a local audio meet...thirty-five bucks.

An ADS Atelier T2 tuner, bought in the last minutes of an estate sale...fifteen bucks.

Then, there were the five Marantz monos - they were stripped out of their cases, which had been two mono amps in one chassis, with two power cables. I don't remember the original model number, but they were five bucks a pop at a sale. They sounded good.

Yeah, I'd be salivating over the mono amps and tuner. Nice!

OMG, Proton! I totally forgot about that company! What happened to them? Weren't they an offshoot of NAD?

I always (perhaps erroneously) assume that anything bought through estate/garage/etc sales will need so much work that by the time one is done reconditioning it, you've paid just as much money as buying from ebay or audiogon. I could be completely wrong though, especially if one is a DIYer (i'm a "Light DIYer" lol)

I have a friend who scored a killer Dual table for $25 at a flea market. All he did was replace the stylus and belt. Sounds great.

Thanks for posting!

T
 
Yeah, I'd be salivating over the mono amps and tuner. Nice!

OMG, Proton! I totally forgot about that company! What happened to them? Weren't they an offshoot of NAD?

I always (perhaps erroneously) assume that anything bought through estate/garage/etc sales will need so much work that by the time one is done reconditioning it, you've paid just as much money as buying from ebay or audiogon. I could be completely wrong though, especially if one is a DIYer (i'm a "Light DIYer" lol)

I have a friend who scored a killer Dual table for $25 at a flea market. All he did was replace the stylus and belt. Sounds great.

Thanks for posting!

T

I was once at a church rummage sale, and there was a box with a Thorens 145 in it. Written on the box was, "Platter missing." It was ten bucks, so I knew I could part it out and make money, so I took it home. In those days I made a little money buying and selling turntables. Anyway, I was taking the pieces out of the box...and there was the platter! I sold it for $150, one of my better turntable resale scores. What I kept was a Dual, and I don't remember the model #, but it had the ULM arm.

The ADS tuner is great, and I still have it. The mono amps went bye-bye in a swap, but I got the short end of the stick. As for Proton, it was separate from NAD, but both were made in the same factory in Taiwan, so that made the resemblance.

Yes, sometimes used gear can be a money pit. Here's a story of two amps:

1. The Arcam Delta 60 - bought from a pawn shop, and there was always something wrong with the gain pot. I finally removed it and installed a new Alps unit which even had the same stock number as the old one. It meant losing any balance control - the old one was dual-concentric - but it works now and sounds great...twenty years later.

2. The Cyrus 2 with PSX - another pawn shop purchase. I sold the Cyrus tuner, and waited years to get the amp f$i$x$e$d. It still sounded Not Quite Right, so I recapped the preamp section with good caps, and it was soon sounding great. Sadly, not so long ago, I plugged another component into power with the Cyrus live - there was a thump, and then nothing.
 
I was once at a church rummage sale, and there was a box with a Thorens 145 in it. Written on the box was, "Platter missing." It was ten bucks, so I knew I could part it out and make money, so I took it home. In those days I made a little money buying and selling turntables. Anyway, I was taking the pieces out of the box...and there was the platter! I sold it for $150, one of my better turntable resale scores. What I kept was a Dual, and I don't remember the model #, but it had the ULM arm.

The ADS tuner is great, and I still have it. The mono amps went bye-bye in a swap, but I got the short end of the stick. As for Proton, it was separate from NAD, but both were made in the same factory in Taiwan, so that made the resemblance.

Yes, sometimes used gear can be a money pit. Here's a story of two amps:

1. The Arcam Delta 60 - bought from a pawn shop, and there was always something wrong with the gain pot. I finally removed it and installed a new Alps unit which even had the same stock number as the old one. It meant losing any balance control - the old one was dual-concentric - but it works now and sounds great...twenty years later.

2. The Cyrus 2 with PSX - another pawn shop purchase. I sold the Cyrus tuner, and waited years to get the amp f$i$x$e$d. It still sounded Not Quite Right, so I recapped the preamp section with good caps, and it was soon sounding great. Sadly, not so long ago, I plugged another component into power with the Cyrus live - there was a thump, and then nothing.

Too funny! My cousin had the Thorens 145. Popular table back in the day. Man, if I scored a Thorens for $10, I would hold on to it just to brag to my friends! LOL.

Yeah, see, your stories with 1 and 2 are why I hesitate to buy equipment that is too old. I'm not that skilled. LOL

Thank you for posting!
 
Back
Top Bottom