• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Linux users on AK?

<<snip>> Still need Windows periodically to step into it for peripheral compatibility such as using the scanners on the printers but Linux can use them as printers. <<snip>>

My Linux (Fedora Core 38) sees (and uses) the scanner portion of my HP MFP M127fn, even over my network. I suspect there is a package out there for your distro that will do the same.
 
Using Ubuntu for many years now. I've purchased a mobile workstation machine recently that works well for all my needs. It has virtualbox installed on ubuntu and that's all that it does. There are several vbox virtual machines to do different jobs and there are a least two running 24/7.
ubuntu lts for office work
ubuntu for web browsing
windows for oem ford diagnostic tools
windows for oem dodge diagnostic tools
ubuntu lts for logitech media server

My only gripe is that the docking station dock/undock doesn't work well unless I shut it down first. It also converts to a touch screen tablet and that feature seems useless so far.

My Linux (Fedora Core 38) sees (and uses) the scanner portion of my HP MFP M127fn, even over my network. I suspect there is a package out there for your distro that will do the same.

Good suggestion. Have an Epson flatbed that needed a package installed from their site.
 
Once in a while I do a little Red Hat at work for admin purposes. I have used unix/linux on and off since the 80s but never consistently enough to get really good because I forget all of the little commands, especially the vi editor tricks. Downloaded it to my laptop once just to play around but that didn't stick. I was looking for amateur radio apps.
 
A friend gave me a copy he burnt, (cd!), Ubuntu 8 it was.
i could not beleive how cool it was! Up-graded till 12 when it went totally to the toilet.
Now I am working with "Mint Mate Vanessa"
Probably go with this as I HATE Win 11. I have a Dell with 11 and mICROSOFT has created a monster with it.
Right now I still am using Win XP, 32 & 64. ← Both work most excellently for me, except on-line. Computers are strictly a hobby for me.
 
A friend gave me a copy he burnt, (cd!), Ubuntu 8 it was.
i could not beleive how cool it was! Up-graded till 12 when it went totally to the toilet.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever had an in-place upgrade between releases that stayed "sane" for more than 2.
 
I dabble. I used to dabble more aggressively. Pretty sure I first loaded Red Hat from floppies. I'm guessing late 1995.

I currently have one laptop and one desktop with Mint.
 
Yeah, I don't think I've ever had an in-place upgrade between releases that stayed "sane" for more than 2.
That's a problem that's been solved for a while now though. I've been running Fedora on a few machines for probably about 5 years now, upgrading them to the newest version every 6 months and they've been fine.
 
That's a problem that's been solved for a while now though. I've been running Fedora on a few machines for probably about 5 years now, upgrading them to the newest version every 6 months and they've been fine.
I wonder if it is just Ubuntu. At work, we did 16.04 to 18.04, and then to 20.04 was just bonkers. Granted, we have quite a few snow flakes.

I could just be a shitty admin, too. :dunno:
 
Mint LMDE 7 on a Zotac mini PC. If I could figure out how to control the video card fan speed on my desktop I'd be all Linux.
 
I managed to install Mint on a Lenovo chromebook. It was a challenge, and took aa while for the audio to be supportef properly, but it mostly is working now. Probably time I ran an update.

All other laptops and pcs continue to work fine on whatever version of Ubuntu they have.
 
I was reading news a couple days ago about this vulnerability in Linux and it appears to be serious. At the same time, the Ubuntu site and associated update sites were experiencing a DoS attack.

Copy Fail (CVE-2026-31431)

Managed to do a full backup and apply the necessary security updates yesterday.
 
I was reading news a couple days ago about this vulnerability in Linux and it appears to be serious. At the same time, the Ubuntu site and associated update sites were experiencing a DoS attack.

Copy Fail (CVE-2026-31431)

Managed to do a full backup and apply the necessary security updates yesterday.

It's a local privilege escalation vulnerability. Probably not so much an issue for home users, but is a much bigger concern for cloud and virtualized services. An attacker would have to have access to a system in order to run a simple script to implement the privilege escalation.

It could be used to escalate privileges in conjunction with another exploit that does gain local access on a system, but for common home users that aren't exposing exploitable services to public network space it's unlikely that's going to be a problem.
 
It seems to me that a lot of potential Linux vulnerabilities require local access to the machine.
 
I was reading news a couple days ago about this vulnerability in Linux and it appears to be serious. At the same time, the Ubuntu site and associated update sites were experiencing a DoS attack.

Copy Fail (CVE-2026-31431)

Managed to do a full backup and apply the necessary security updates yesterday.
An update for kmod was released the other day that contains a fix for the CVE. Not an "attack" just the servers getting hammered with everyone downloading the update. This isn't a critical issue for home Linux users.

Back on the thread topic - Linux user since around 1997/98 and the only OS I use.
 
One reason I delayed moving to Linux was my use of Adobe Lightroom--pretty much the only application I've invested in for years. Keeping my 12,000 images was a major anchor to Windows. When I discovered Darktable, that's all it took. It's far more powerful than Light Room. I don't know which was worse--- being attached to Adobe, or Microsoft?

Anyway, being freed from those horrible companies feels good.
 
Last edited:
I was tricked into doing the maintenance that we should be doing:). Thanks for info. and that's good news for the casual and home office people.

Not an "attack" just the servers getting hammered with everyone downloading the update.
I was reading that a group took responsibility for the attack and demanded ransom. Could be fake news:dunno:
 
Back
Top Bottom