• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Linux users on AK?

One reason this could happen is that a file or files on your hard drive somehow got corrupted, which does happen sometimes. How old is the hard drive in your computer? It may be worth replacing if it's getting up there in years. A fresh install would fix this problem just like you experienced. A lot of computer issues are hardware problems but software gets the blame most of the time.

Now that you've re-installed, have you updated the machine again? If so, are you seeing the same bad behavior? If not, it was probably a hardware problem.

Hard drive is a near new SSD. Computer is Mid 2011 which I bought broken and repaired the AMD GPU which is a known weakness. It ran High Sierra for a couple of years. Because I do not know full history, I can't discount hardware problems.

I just installed all updates and it seems to be behaving as expected which is shutting down on command. Thinking back on my first install, I messed with the screen saver and power settings through the GUI. I also installed and uninstalled a fan control program.
 
Hard drive is a near new SSD. Computer is Mid 2011 which I bought broken and repaired the AMD GPU which is a known weakness. It ran High Sierra for a couple of years. Because I do not know full history, I can't discount hardware problems.

I just installed all updates and it seems to be behaving as expected which is shutting down on command. Thinking back on my first install, I messed with the screen saver and power settings through the GUI. I also installed and uninstalled a fan control program.
I guess it's possible the fan control program could have changed something in systemd and done what happened to you. You may have been able to fix the problem without reinstalling but honestly it's faster just to do a reinstall most of the time.
 
I was a back line support engineer with Novell Inc back in the day. My company purchased SuSE Linux for $800 million. Overnight, we became Linux engineers. Steep learning curve, but it was great fun. Still use SuSE in my Laptop. It’s so reliable.
 
I have been using Linux Mint for quite a few years now. I love the way you don't have to pay for software, don't have to worry much about viruses, you can do an update and still use the computer at the same time, it rarely crashes, and takes up much fewer resources. I wish someone would design a Linux operating system for an Android phone.
Ubuntu Touch is what you are looking for.

I am quite fond of my Volla Phone 22 running Volla OS. Totally open source, no google, no lock in, no spyware. It can be ordered with Volla OS (custom open source Android) or Ubuntu Touch. Both can be installed and you just use the boot menu to decide which you want to use and any number of OS's can be installed.

I think that unfortunately the Volla Phone is not sold in the USA, and also unfortunately when I was over there in '24 I found that it could not connect to the phone net there. But the newer ones are 5G and should.

There are some other Linux cell phone OS's but I don't recall the names right now.

:beerchug:
James
 
Just bought a RPi 5 so I'm getting acquainted with Linux. Back in 2000-2002 I had a job that involved UNIX but a layoff ended that. I'm retired now so this is good mental exercise.
 
I have a Pi3 running Arch Linux and a pi4 running a PiHole/caching DNS server and a Tailscale exit node on Debian. The Pi4 is great at blocking ads.
 
Is anyone else in the AK+Linux crew routinely seeing "Your APT configuration is corrupt" from Update Manager?

I think I finally fixed this. It was indeed a hiccup with the vivaldi browser. The hiccup continued even after de-installing vivaldi. Apparently entries for vivaldi still remained in APT, and more to the point, there were two kinds of entries present, a "legacy" entry and a newer-format entry. The fix was to remove the legacy entry:

sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
 
Had a bit of a fight last night with my $10, estate sale, Thinkpad E545. The goal was to load it with the latest Ubuntu and Virtualbox releases.

Everything went fairly well until Virtualbox would not start a virtual machine. It had an error that amd-v was not enabled. Sure enough, it was not enabled in the bios, so I tried that and it had the same error. After searching the model# + error, I disabled it again and now all is good :thumbsup:

"Lenovo Thinkpad E545 (and E445 ?) BIOS bug for AMD-V virtualization
Short version: Disabling the AMD-V virtualization support in the BIOS (AMD equivalent of VT-X) actually enables it, and enabling it disables it. Way to go, Lenovo."


What flavor of Linux and software is everyone else using for virtual machines?
 
I use Arch Linux and virtual box on an older Asus quad core i3 laptop. The original HDD has been replaced with an SSD.

I use it to run a Debian version of Lazarus Pascal IDE, that was ported to compile for code for the arduino platform.
 
Back
Top Bottom