• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Listen here: you can’t rely on music streaming. Maybe it’s time to dig out your old CDs

A fan? That’s the kind of things that gets threads locked, making assumptions. You can have a positive opinion of somebody without being a fan. If you want to not listen because of one guy, that’s your choice just don’t make assumptions about me please.
Can I assume you like motorcycles and music?
 
A fan? That’s the kind of things that gets threads locked, making assumptions. You can have a positive opinion of somebody without being a fan. If you want to not listen because of one guy, that’s your choice just don’t make assumptions about me please.

My error. I deleted the post.
 
I have my streaming providers playlists downloaded on my phone's SD card. I'm just fine when out and about. I mostly listen to new stuff. By the time it's not new anymore I'm on to new stuff.

Maybe I'm a freak (OK, probably) but I have never had many albums where I liked all the songs. Streaming means I assemble playlists of what I like. I can sit on my lazy ass and skip songs, change playlists to my heart's content. Back in the day, I bought albums cuz I liked the band or heard one song from them. I had many albums where I liked one or 2 songs. No thanks. As for all the old stuff I accumulated, I wore them out in the 70s and 80s. No thanks. Everyone is different I suppose.

My bold and underline. I'm like Bill. Most of my albums only have a couple of songs I like. A substantial percentage have just one song I like.

OTOH, I've always been careful about overplaying LP's. I have the first two LP's I bought while in the service (Charles Lloyd, Dream Weaver; Aretha Franklin, Runnin' Out Of Fools). Both get played occasionally.

I mostly stream Apple Music these days from iPhone, Laptop, or iMac via WiFi or usb to my audio system. I listen all day and night. Most lifelike sound from streaming is via iMac usb to Parasound P6’s DAC. I’m convinced I can discern tape edits on 1960’s DooWop songs. At any rate, greatest listening pleasure comes from well mastered 5.1 SACDs played from my OPPO-205.

I'm a DooWop fan also. I bought a double CD (The Only DooWop Collection You'll Ever Need). Problem solved.
 
Again, as for the "artists" supposedly getting screwed by streaming, please read up on ASCAP and THEY are the ones screwing the content creators. Streaming services do NOT pay artists at all. They pay the label (RIAA), the label the pays ASCAP and they pay everyone on that songs royalty list.

If someone wants to talk about how labels have tried to screw everybody downstream, that is a great subject. But too many people just puke out the same crap that is not true. Some worn out singer goes before some microphone and bleats that he only got a $2 royalty check for a bunch of downloads.......then all the lemmings start pointing fingers at the streaming service. ASCAP has bunch of useless mouths to feed so they suck out a HUGE % of the money to pay overhead etc......

Some artists are getting royalty checks now that have not sold a record in 50 years. Better something than nothing.

There is nothing wrong with singers and bands playing music live to make a living, they are no better than the rest of us slobs that have to work to eat.

My son is a singer/songwriter and a member of ASCAP. Without ASCAP, there would be no royalties. Companies like Spotify collect subscriber fees and revenue from ads. Then they pay a small amount to ASCAP. So, maybe ASCAP should demand more from streaming services?

It's not just streaming services that pay very little. My son had several songs featured on three MTV reality shows. Those reality shows were not mega-hits, but they had heavy rotation. For a few years, my son would receive an annual check from ASCAP for about $12.00.
 
My son is a singer/songwriter and a member of ASCAP. Without ASCAP, there would be no royalties. Companies like Spotify collect subscriber fees and revenue from ads. Then they pay a small amount to ASCAP. So, maybe ASCAP should demand more from streaming services?

It's not just streaming services that pay very little. My son had several songs featured on three MTV reality shows. Those reality shows were not mega-hits, but they had heavy rotation. For a few years, my son would receive an annual check from ASCAP for about $12.00.
I think that is the problem, the “middle men” making the deals are getting all the money.

Edit: how big was that $12 check before everyone got their fingers in it?
 
Last edited:
I think that is the problem, the “middle men” making the deals are getting all the money.
It’s interesting to think about solutions to this kind of thing, to me anyway. I wonder if a type a union might be the answer? (I’m not a union guy so please don’t focus on that) Clearly there’s no simple solution, but something should be done IMHO.
 
I'm streaming my OWN Music this morning all the way across my room :biggrin:

Windows 10 desktop --> JRiver Media Center --> WiFi --> Cambridge Audio CXN V2

:beerchug:

Two currently 12.5k+ (growing monthly) duplicated WAV. ripped digital music sources (OPPO UDP-203, via a1Terabyte Flash drive + a SSD laptop operating 24/7/365 for redundancy feeding my house`s 7 room`s HQ hard wired distributed fed stereo systems to provide me with the music (CDs & high resolution purchased downloads for my all day staying at home music requirements to thoroughly enjoy whether I have internet or not. :thumbsup:
With 2 additional SSD laptops and multiple Flash drive/stand alone external SSD backups and the original CDs and protective burns of the digital album downloads on CD or DVDs for the high resolution purchased Digital downloads for hard copy backups.

I couldn`t be more pleased with my setup and it`s SQ, I just wish I started computer based ripped music sooner than the almost 6 yrs. ago shortly after joining A/K, when my previously used and that I completely filled with CDs 400CD/DVD Sony player`s NLA laser block failed after operating perfectly 24/7365 for 5 yrs. after a friend gave it to me. :oops:, :rolleyes:

I have no opinion good or bad how folks chose to deliver music to their ears, I just prefer my method, and my absolute ability to own and control it.

Enjoy whatever your music delivery method folks, as you see fit, as I do mine.
 
I think that is the problem, the “middle men” making the deals are getting all the money.

Edit: how big was that $12 check before everyone got their fingers in it?

Exactly. And streaming services are one of the middle men. At least one check was literally for $12.00. AFAIK, ASCAP made no deductions for taxes or withholding before the cutting the check. My son simply had to claim it as income on his annual tax return.

My son showed me an article years ago which was about how artists get screwed by the industry. I don't recall the publication, but the title of the article was, "You May Already Be This F&%^#@*!". (There was a picture of a guy with a .45 shoved in his mouth.) The article told the stories of many big music acts who had been completely ripped off of most of their royalties. These acts included The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. (I recall when Jimi Hendrix died, he had just over a hundred dollars in this bank account and Jim Croce never did see any money before he died. Then his wife had to sue to get her late husband's royalties.) So, it's certainly nothing new when artists get the shaft. But as I stated earlier, at least most of those big acts were making some serious money. For all too many artists these days, this is no longer the case.

Also, labels are signing far few artists since the early 2000s. It used to be that labels would sign a lot of artists hoping a few would break big. Now they tend to put all their eggs in a very small Justin Bieber/Taylor swift basket.

EDIT: I think the largest annual check my son ever received from ASCAP was for around $100. This was when he released an EP. His music is available on all the streaming platforms. He also had an album on Band Camp and a few other indie web sites.
 
Last edited:
And streaming services are one of the middle men.
I disagree but that's all good and allowed. They are a content provider, the actual middle men (labels or industry as you called it) are making the deals with the entertainers content, the entertainers are living with the deals they made with the industry and love to tell you how they are getting screwed, but fail to mention that they made and signed that first deal.
 
Last edited:
Same as it ever was .. same as it ever was

mO6U29.gif


 
30, 40, 50 years ago there were dedicated record shops all across the US. I remember them well and it was fun going in there looking through the bins arranged by genre and alphabetically sorted by artist. New releases had their own place and often there were albums playing. You found something that interested you maybe because you heard a song on the radio or a band you liked released a new album. You looked at the front cover, read the back cover and decided to purchase. From there you took it home and played it, a few times. Some tracks were maybe great, some were OK, some you wished you could skip.

Fast forward to today, there isn't a physical store big enough to hold all the stuff that you have access to stream. I'd argue new artists are even more abundant that before. Yes, record lables signed a lot of artists back in the day but if it didn't make a radio station's playlist, folks never heard them. Maybe smaller artists are frustrated with the streaming revenue split but they are getting played. I find obscure artists and look at some of their play stats and it can be quite small - maybe a few thousand listens. But they are getting played where I dont think they would have in the past. A lot of Indie artists have gone on to have modest success this way (My Morning Jacket, Death Cab For Cutie, etc.) They aren't top concert or record label bands but they make a nice living selling out smaller venues. Back in the day, without a major record lable deal, they would be bar bands.
 
Ewww - frankly, thats sounds kinda creepy -
hope you and your rekkids are very happy together.
Most album covers are a LONG way from "priceless art" -
and its not a "real living thing"
Its just a stamped piece of cardboard and a stamped piece of plastic - that's it.
The MUSIC is the thing we enjoy -


 
Last edited:
Yes, record lables signed a lot of artists back in the day but if it didn't make a radio station's playlist, folks never heard them. Maybe smaller artists are frustrated with the streaming revenue split but they are getting played.
Corporate FM explained that this is what local FM stations did when they were independent - they played new local music that was not included in Billboard's Top 100. Now the place of these local stations is being taken by YouTube or SoundCloud playlists. You stumble on a playlist, you like it, you see who is compiling it, you subscribe - kind of the same thing. FM stations became irrelevant.
 
Ewww - frankly, thats sounds kinda creepy -
hope you and your rekkids are very happy together.
Most album covers are a LONG way from "priceless art" -
and its not a "real living thing"
Its just a stamped piece of cardboard and a stamped piece of plastic - that's it.
The MUSIC is the thing we enjoy -
It's just a meme. :rolleyes:
 
Actually, everything is made from atoms and atoms do in fact vibrate, everything on earth has its own frequency, so it is in a way, alive. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom