• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Listening the way the artist intended

Genre, budget, time, patience, label backing, mixing philosophy (artist and studio/engineer), studio used, media for release, etc. all enter into the 'mix'. I am aware of the stories of artists/engineers dubbing a final draft copy to cassette to have a listen in a car as part of the process. Without specific details from the artist, it is pure conjecture as to the artist' listening intent.
 
I watch a lot of the artist interviews that Rick Beato does. It’s interesting how many artists never listen to their own albums. And when they are listening (during the tracking process etc), the most common place they listen is in the car.

Rick asks the artist “where do you listen to the tracks to get an idea of how they sound?”, about 90% answer the car. Most of them don’t have a Hifi system at home.

I honestly don’t care how they intend me to listen to their music. And sometimes I wish they would record it more in the way that I want it to sound
 
I love listening to music the way the artists intended, but I can stay in my car or use Beats all the time.
 
Ok I've thought about this some more and maybe there is some merit to the statement.

If your system isn't capable of reproducing small details then you might legitimately be missing things that the artist intended for you to hear.
 
I would think most artists just want us to listen and leave the how of listening up to the listener.
i made a similar comment the last time this subject came up and i was told that i was wrong :rolleyes:

Ask one of the masters, like Alan Parsons.
:rflmao:that's a good one!

only once have i heard dsotm sound really good and that was through dbx soundfield 1a (with 12 tweeters and the eq.) it sounds muffled or veiled on anything else i've ever heard it on. it just does not sound good to me.:dunno:
 
you might be just a bit embarrassed by your statement.
i'm never embarrassed by my beliefs.

nobody remembers the good ones anyways.

dsotm is the one that gets over hyped and that is what i am referring to. i don't care how many he did and how good they may sound, he dropped the ball on dsotm and people still rave about how great it sounds.
 
I’m not sure there’s a “one size fits all” answer to this query. I think it varies from artist to artist. Mark Rothko was very specific about how high his paintings were hung off the floor and how they were lighted and where they were installed. He refused to have them installed in a restaurant, for instance. Picasso sometimes told people who owned his work that it was not by his hand—just to f*ck with them.

My friend who is a painter happened, as he was walking past a house and looking through the window one afternoon, to notice that one of his paintings was hanging upside down in someone’s living room. He knocked on the door, introduced himself, and pointed out the error. The homeowner told him that he thought it looked better that way, that it was his to do with as he wanted, and, basically, to mind his own business and promptly get off his porch.

Another friend of mine grew up next to Billy Joel and spent time listening to music with him—on big stacks of McIntosh equipment. Joel is an audiophile who is very passionate about playback.

I’ll also add here that one of the reasons I’m in this hobby is because I like to hear what the artist intended. I’m sometimes flabbergasted that my stereo reveals instruments or sounds that, listening elsewhere, I never knew were there. I think if a tambourine is on the record, the artist intended for us to hear it—just as an author intended for us to read all of his or her words written in a poem or novel.

I consider this hobby to be, in some measure, a way of respecting artists’ works.
 
The first Rothko I saw was a "screen saver" on a Macintosh Quadra 700. The first time I heard Billy Joel was from a cassette played through a "boom box" in a Marine Corps barracks. Neither of these were as the artist intended, but they had an impact on my perception of art and music
 
My friend who is a painter happened, as he was walking past a house and looking through the window one afternoon, to notice that one of his paintings was hanging upside down in someone’s living room. He knocked on the door, introduced himself, and pointed out the error. The homeowner told him that he thought it looked better that way, that it was his to do with as he wanted, and, basically, to mind his own business and promptly get off his porch.
That's a great story.

A friend and colleague is an artist, he painted portraits of some wealthy people for a few years in the midwest. Years later, his nephew moved to NYC to go to college and was drinking in a bar when he noticed a portrait hanging that was signed by his uncle.

As the artist intended doesn't have to be the end of the story
 
Ok I've thought about this some more and maybe there is some merit to the statement.

If your system isn't capable of reproducing small details then you might legitimately be missing things that the artist intended for you to hear.
My ears are not capable of hearing much above 12khz. I know I'm missing things. I'm OK with it. But I am prepared to be flogged by those who believe I'm creating a social faux pas by being so blase about it.
 
It's kind of funny. I hear this phrase, or variations of it, quite a bit from my fellow audio enthusiasts. I'm not entirely sure it means what they think it means.

I feel that the phrase is often used to club other people over the head for listening to or enjoying 'less than' perfect systems. In other words, if you're not spending a fortune on the very latest, most technically accurate gear, then you're not listening "the way the artist intended." Heaven forfend we adjust a tone knob or touch an equalizer, or (OMG) push in the 'loudness' button on vintage gear. What a crime.

I mean, I think we all enjoy good music that pleases our ears. But what, exactly, do we know about "what the artist intended?"

I suppose all artists of every kind have some thought as to how their artwork will be enjoyed. They create their art, be it a painting or a poem or a novel or a song or whatever, and they put it out into the world, and I am reasonably certain that they're not all mercenaries interested only in making money from their artwork. I presume that they have some emotional connection to what they've created and that they have some idea how others might best enjoy their work.

But do they have some perfect ideal in mind of where in a room one might sit, what speakers one might employ, what amplifier, what medium can be used to reproduce their artwork?

Do you suppose that somewhere, a musician is cringing in horror at the thought that someone is using (gasp) Bluetooth to stream their precious baby? Do you think they want to rush over to that lowborn person's hovel and slap the remote out of their hands? "It's Vandersteen or nothing, peasant!"

Perhaps they have duels amongst themselves. One artist prefers people enjoy their creations on McIntosh, others have D’Agostino on the brain, and somewhere there is a lone artist screaming about Bose and B&O and preparing to end it all in angst that people would listen on a Tripath amp.

I don't think so. I have never met such an artist. Perhaps they exist. But I doubt it.

What I suspect instead is that artists who actually have a preference would say that they would like others to ENJOY their artwork. However they do it, the point is to find personal enjoyment in taking in that artist's creation. The artist lays before us a bounty, and certainly they'd like us to find it delectible, but do they care if we extend our pinkies before we drink our tea?

So when I hear someone say "I prefer to listen to the music the way the artist intended," I think what they really mean is that they have found their own personal audio nirvana, and everyone who doesn't agree with their choices is wrong.

Yes, I prefer to listen to music the way the artist intended. I prefer to enjoy it. If that takes place on a high-end system or a vintage lo-fi system or over my car radio or streaming Bluetooth from my Plex server, or whatever...if I enjoy it, it's the way the artist intended, I believe.
So, when Bob Dylan sings "Everybody must get stoned..." do you listen the way the artist intended?

 
Some artists listen to recordings in their homes on average systems before approving the mix for an album. Other don't or have the kind of systems we wish we could have. The ear is a pretty miraculous gift and our brain is able to weed out a lot of issues so we can interpret the sound very accurately if we have trained ourselves to do so. I use to do live remotes for radio stations and make live recordings from which LP's and and cassettes were made. So my speakers from that era gave the best recreation of the sound I was recording in the middle 60's through early 80's. I also have newer speakers with drivers with much lower distortion and much better definition. But when I want to now if a recording is a good one I listen to it on my original speakers from the past. If the recording meets that criteria then I will listen to it to the much newer speakers if I want to listen further into the recording. With some recordings that not always a good idea has been my experience. Digital releases of original analog recordings are the ones I hate the most, because the remastering engineers a lot of times have their own idea of what the sound should be and not what it was actually.
 
This whole debate is stupid — it’s like we have to be in a certain chair, by a certain window, with a certain drink on the side table before we can read ”The Great American Novel“ the way the author intended. I say BS. Damnit, if I want to read it on the subway, what’s it to you?
 
Last edited:
Digital releases of original analog recordings are the ones I hate the most, because the remastering engineers a lot of times have their own idea of what the sound should be and not what it was actually.
It would not make me happy, were I a living artist, to find out that someone was reimagining my work without my approval.
 
Back
Top Bottom