• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Listening the way the artist intended

The song was not advice, it was a statement that Dylan believed was a universal truth — everybody gets criticized at some point.
 
The song was not advice, it was a statement that Dylan believed was a universal truth — everybody gets criticized at some point.
Well I like to think that the answer is blowing in the wind. To me the statement, from Dylan, "But I would not feel so all alone." preceeding the request makes it personal as well as universal. Like I'm gonna get wasted, care to join me? This from the man The Beatles all acknowledged was the very individual who turned them onto herbal enhancements.

Criticism? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like someone needs an Afternoon Delight to let off some steam.
 
Maybe there are artists who have visions for how their music should be heard. If they exist, they are the exception.

For the artists who do care, why not give instructions of how to listen to their work, a prescription of sorts. Or maybe they could partner with a manufacturer of audio gear that would produce a system specifically tailored to their music?
 
It's kind of funny. I hear this phrase, or variations of it, quite a bit from my fellow audio enthusiasts. I'm not entirely sure it means what they think it means.

I feel that the phrase is often used to club other people over the head for listening to or enjoying 'less than' perfect systems. In other words, if you're not spending a fortune on the very latest, most technically accurate gear, then you're not listening "the way the artist intended." Heaven forfend we adjust a tone knob or touch an equalizer, or (OMG) push in the 'loudness' button on vintage gear. What a crime.

I mean, I think we all enjoy good music that pleases our ears. But what, exactly, do we know about "what the artist intended?"

I suppose all artists of every kind have some thought as to how their artwork will be enjoyed. They create their art, be it a painting or a poem or a novel or a song or whatever, and they put it out into the world, and I am reasonably certain that they're not all mercenaries interested only in making money from their artwork. I presume that they have some emotional connection to what they've created and that they have some idea how others might best enjoy their work.

But do they have some perfect ideal in mind of where in a room one might sit, what speakers one might employ, what amplifier, what medium can be used to reproduce their artwork?

Do you suppose that somewhere, a musician is cringing in horror at the thought that someone is using (gasp) Bluetooth to stream their precious baby? Do you think they want to rush over to that lowborn person's hovel and slap the remote out of their hands? "It's Vandersteen or nothing, peasant!"

Perhaps they have duels amongst themselves. One artist prefers people enjoy their creations on McIntosh, others have D’Agostino on the brain, and somewhere there is a lone artist screaming about Bose and B&O and preparing to end it all in angst that people would listen on a Tripath amp.

I don't think so. I have never met such an artist. Perhaps they exist. But I doubt it.

What I suspect instead is that artists who actually have a preference would say that they would like others to ENJOY their artwork. However they do it, the point is to find personal enjoyment in taking in that artist's creation. The artist lays before us a bounty, and certainly they'd like us to find it delectible, but do they care if we extend our pinkies before we drink our tea?

So when I hear someone say "I prefer to listen to the music the way the artist intended," I think what they really mean is that they have found their own personal audio nirvana, and everyone who doesn't agree with their choices is wrong.

Yes, I prefer to listen to music the way the artist intended. I prefer to enjoy it. If that takes place on a high-end system or a vintage lo-fi system or over my car radio or streaming Bluetooth from my Plex server, or whatever...if I enjoy it, it's the way the artist intended, I believe.
I still listen to the albums I bought during college in the 70's & 80's on the equipment I bought in the 70's. I love every click and pop from the years of love I've showed those artists! There is a squeal in Steely Dan Kay Lied that I can't explain. As far as I know it's only on my copy, I've never heard it anywhere else, but if it's not there I know it. I have 4500 songs on my phone that I stream anywhere I can. That's roughly 10-11 days on shuffle without a repeat and more on the computer at home. I go to the library check out some CD's take them home and rip them to my hard drive. I never get bored with the offering, I pay no subscriptions and never listen to a commercial unless I want to listen to the radio.
Life is Good!
 
I have oft been in the studio or control room for recordings and final mixes. Many care and put in the effort to get the sound they want us to hear.

Its works, even on different systems :thumbsup:
As have I. Most musicians I know have crap audio systems at home. I don’t know many who are actually into audio or have more than a few hundred bucks invested in a stereo system. (Same goes for my best friend, who was the executive director of a multiple-Grammy winning choir). Many musicians I know will take a mixdown of a newly recorded track to their car to listen to it, rather than the mixing booth, so if you want to hear as the artist intended, you should listen to music in the driver’s seat of a 2004 Toyota Camry.
 
Having seen more than my share of Director's Cuts, I'm no longer much bothered about what an artist might have intended.

Kicking off the whole shebang, Dylan, the Beatles, and the Stones did alright out of what was released _at the time_, whatever they did or did not know about the recording process, and people loved it.
 
I listen as I like, not as the artist would like, I don't agree with this term (as the artist wanted). I believe that only at a live performance without an amplification system can you say that you are listening as the artist wanted, otherwise there are infinite variables.
 
I ran across an interesting article about music production:


But it is old, a note saying:

"Note: This article originally appeared in the March, 2008 edition of Word Magazine. That was a long time ago—before YouTube started to usurp radio as the place where people discovered music, before music streaming services, before the vinyl revival and before audiophile digital music players like Neil Young’s Pono."

Still, some interesting stuff on music I own, such as this concerning Johnny Cash’s American IV (2002):

"Rick Rubin’s recordings of Cash are extraordinarily intimate and affecting. But they don’t sound anything like Johnny Cash sitting in your living room playing some songs. They sound like you’re perched on Johnny Cash’s lap with one ear in his mouth and a stethoscope on his guitar."

In terms of artist intent, the article included, "Today, the process of recording performances, then editing them together into what the band and producer consider a finished track, is just the start." It then described what mix engineers do, such as "tweaking and polishing and trimming every sound that will appear on the record," and, importantly, "without the artist and producer breathing down his neck." One example of this was JJ Puig saying, “When I mixed The Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang album, I reckoned that one of the songs needed a tambourine and a shaker, so I put it on."
 
i put the album on the platter, lower the tonearm and make my way back to the listening chair. I listen. I enjoy. When it hits the run out groove I get up and decide to continue playing LPs or not.

As far as the concept of intent goes, on any level at all: The artirst's intent, my intent, anyone else's intent. Does not arise. I'm not doing it to examine the idea of 'intent'. I'm going through the entire procedure to listen to the LP. My 'Intent' therefore is fulfilled by the act of hearing. Case closed.

I regard every consideration beyond that to be incomprehensible for me personally.
 
I listen as I like, not as the artist would like, I don't agree with this term (as the artist wanted). I believe that only at a live performance without an amplification system can you say that you are listening as the artist wanted, otherwise there are infinite variables.
I'm guessing by "amplification system" you mean "sound reinforcement", Hendrix would not be Hendrix without his amp
 
Back
Top Bottom