• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Listening to music in the dark?

Lights out.... good Scotch (maybe several).... "Eric Burdon Declares War"... 'Tobacco Road'. If you're not trippin' you don't know how to trip!:D
 
Try it in the dark with a color organ connected to the stereo. Red lights flash to the bass, blue lights flash to the treble, and green lights flash to the midrange, at least that's the way mine is set up. :thmbsp:

OK- I found one of these with the sound sensor removed. Does anyone know where to find one? Also, if I want frequency-coordinated color flashes, how is that accomplished?
 
I like closing my eyes and listening.It seems the imaging is improved more than even a dark room.Ecohes is a must if your going to listen with the lights out or how about ,Careful with that Axe Eugene,that song is downright scary in the dark.

Man, I need to try that song out:yes:. the one that always freaked me out in the dark was "One of these days"...frightning stuff, especially on first listen, when you don't know what to expect.

Actually, I think almost all early-ish/mid Pink Floyd would be a great dark-room listen.

@tybrad The "sound sensor" is typically just a little microphone, and I would think a replacement could be found (wouldn't cost much either). Overall, the device selects various frequencys by range already, it's pretty much why these things exist. However, if you want more than 3 channels, you'll have to do some digging and designing. It's normally set up to split the usable frequency pretty evenly between the three colors. Some organs allow you to adjust how much light they put out, or sensitivity:yes:.
 
Man, I need to try that song out:yes:. the one that always freaked me out in the dark was "One of these days"...frightning stuff, especially on first listen, when you don't know what to expect.

Actually, I think almost all early-ish/mid Pink Floyd would be a great dark-room listen.

:yes:.

One of these Days I think was like the sequel to Careful with that Axe Eugene.Both creepy songs but "Days" is a little more of a jam where "Eugene' starts out slow and then picks up and then slows down again.Listen carefully at the very end for something really creepy.BTW is your sig. a line from Forbidden Planet?:thmbsp:
 
I do it many times, and the effect is almost Zen like. Even better is when it's snowing like crazy outside. I put on the outside spots to light up the flakes, turn on the fireplace (it's gas) and it is the best experience you can imagine...Well, ALMOST the best!
 
One of these Days I think was like the sequel to Careful with that Axe Eugene.Both creepy songs but "Days" is a little more of a jam where "Eugene' starts out slow and then picks up and then slows down again.Listen carefully at the very end for something really creepy.

I need to give that a listen definitely, I have it on "ummagumma". I certainly agree about how "days" is a jam, some definite direction there, wereas atmospheric pieces like "axe" and "set the controls for the heart of the sun" are fantastic in their wandering scope. It's one of those odd things, but I almost think pink floyd live in pompeii is just as good sans video:yes:

I'll add that I think some of the stoner/doom metal would be a good fit. Imagine some electric wizard in the dark:smoke:

BTW is your sig. a line from Forbidden Planet?:thmbsp:

Yes! good catch, such a weird line in such a great movie. I figured it would make it seem like I like at least one classy movie:D
 
In the dark is my first choice, but when too much light is present (daylight coming in between curtains, blinds, etc.) I do close my eyes. Only thing I've enjoyed more is a nice pair of sealed cans so no distractions of any kind. I have a couple Santana albums I haven't been able to enjoy since losing my cans. The separation, echo and other affects are just amazing. One album in particular is Borboletta, not for the meek.
 
LMAO! That is way cool! Especially the lightening lamps or whatever the heck they were called (remember selling lots of those at RS!)
 

Ha, that's pretty great. You should've waited about 20minutes, though...the lava lamp ain't flowin':D

What is the seemingly random red-light effect that dashes across the gear?

LMAO! That is way cool! Especially the lightening lamps or whatever the heck they were called (remember selling lots of those at RS!)

I think they are called plasma ball's:yes:
 
Ha, that's pretty great. You should've waited about 20minutes, though...the lava lamp ain't flowin':D

What is the seemingly random red-light effect that dashes across the gear?



:yes:

We currently have 10 Lava lamps on top of the ET center that is right next to the Shrine.

The red light is a laser. it is mounted under one of the stairs above the system and shines on a small conical mirror just above the doorway. The it shines on the front of the system. It is of course sound activated.

I have a newer video on you tube but the damn wood pellet stove is running in the background and the sound sucks. BUT here it is anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHY6Cfbka7w
 
The best thing to try is sensory deprivation. Take a ping pong ball and cut it in half at the seam. Lay on back under normal lighting, put one over each eye. You can trim them to fit if you want.

Listen to some music.

Keep your eyes open and after a little while you will stop blinking and just stare into white void. If you don’t fall asleep after a while you will start to see things, crazy things. Your eyes can stay open without blinking for hours. Then when you take them off you will see strange images for a while too.

Look up more details on the GoogleNet.
 
The best thing to try is sensory deprivation. Take a ping pong ball and cut it in half at the seam. Lay on back under normal lighting, put one over each eye. You can trim them to fit if you want.

Listen to some music.

Keep your eyes open and after a little while you will stop blinking and just stare into white void. If you don’t fall asleep after a while you will start to see things, crazy things. Your eyes can stay open without blinking for hours. Then when you take them off you will see strange images for a while too.

Look up more details on the GoogleNet.

That doesn't sound like sensory deprivation,more like dry red cracked eyes not being able to focus.:tears:
 
I listen in the dark quite often. I also sometimes listen in the dark, except with the TV turned on, but the sound on the TV turned off.
 
I do it many times, and the effect is almost Zen like.

Best done when no one else is home. I hate being in the zone and having someone walk in and try to announce louder than the music "What are you doing?!"

Shocks ya.
 
I have made a black velvet curtain to cover the stereo rack so I can listen in total darkness in the windowless garage. I'll ask my wife "Ya wanna go back to the sevendeez? We'll get in the mood with a couple of beers, put on the Grateful Dead and dance in total darkness!
 
I mostly listen in the dark (spare room is dark) but once while I been laying there awhile, the dog jumped up on the bed. I nearly dropped a load right there.
 
Back
Top Bottom