• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Look at what a friend just gave me... a Marantz 2250B receiver!

It's good to have friends like that!

I would have treated him and his wife to a nice steak dinner! :D
 
It's good to have friends like that!

I would have treated him and his wife to a nice steak dinner! :D

That could very well happen, but probably not until the spring when the weather is better. I love to cook steaks out on the Weber and sit on the deck and enjoy a great meal with family and friends.
 
Last edited:
Great story. Talking up your hobby works sometime.

I had an acquaintance at church and mentioned I messed with vintage stereo and he said he had some speakers he wanted to get rid of. I asked what kind and he said HPM 100s.

We worked out a fair price and they are mine. I did not expect to get them for free and he needed the money. We were both happy. They could have gone to some other guy at a garage sale!

Charlie
 
Great story. Talking up your hobby works sometime.

I had an acquaintance at church and mentioned I messed with vintage stereo and he said he had some speakers he wanted to get rid of. I asked what kind and he said HPM 100s.

We worked out a fair price and they are mine. I did not expect to get them for free and he needed the money. We were both happy. They could have gone to some other guy at a garage sale!

Charlie

That's a great story too. As you say, it doesn't hurt to talk up you hobby a bit. It just increases the number of people you have on your side keeping an eye open for vintage gear.
 
I've found that sharing the enjoyment does lead to good gear coming your way. Even though it's not like it used to be.....lots of people have gear "just sitting". A casual mention of gear landed me a "trade" for a Sansui G-9000. (I'm about to be very generous to this gentleman for his generosity.)
I like a lot of looks, but the classic Marantz stands alone. What a beautiful receiver you have.
 
Its also a relatively rare model. Just built for one year, and very under-rated in the power department. Tuner very similar to the 2275.

A lifelong friend of mine also has a 2250B which he had not used in years. I took it and recapped the unit and replaced nearly all the bulbs. Then I sold him a pair of Klipsch Forte II speakers to sound nice with the receiver! It was really for my listening benefit when I am over there and we are playing eight ball on his Brunswick pool table, lol :D
 
That could very well happen, but probably not until the spring when the weather is better. I love to cook steaks out on the Weber and sit on the deck and enjoy a great meal with family and friends.

Well if the weather won't support grilling, maybe you had better take him to Murray's?
 
Over the past couple of weeks I was finally able to get around to doing some work on this receiver. I did the obligatory DeOxit treatment to all the pots and switches, and cleaned all the knobs and faceplate. However, the biggest problem with this unit was that the plastic light diffuser was melted pretty badly. When my friend replaced the dial illumination lamps back a few years ago, he installed 300ma lamps instead of the proper 200ma units. Not his fault, as I am sure he just installed what he was told were suitable replacement bulbs. Unfortunately, they were way too hot and caused the light diffuser to melt. Luckily for me I was able to secure a replacement from AK advertiser Many Moons Audio. (Thanks Paul!)

Here is a pic of the melted plastic light diffuser and the replacement. Note to self: never use 300ma dial illumination lamps in a Marantz receiver.

IMG_2113_zps48ed172b.jpg


And here are a few pics of the unit with everything put back to rights.

IMG_2127_zpsa9debc3c.jpg


IMG_2122_zpsf6ec6916.jpg


IMG_2123_zps2e8e63bf.jpg


IMG_2134_zps3ce516b2.jpg


Now I need to invite my friend and his wife back over to give it a listen. Maybe he can bring over some of his old albums and we can throw them on the turntable while the girls chat upstairs. Of course, they are welcome to listen too. :music:
 
Last edited:
Needle looks cockeyed, i've had a few like that too. I just let it live vs the risk of snapping it or melting it trying to straighten it. Looks brilliant!
 
Needle looks cockeyed, i've had a few like that too. I just let it live vs the risk of snapping it or melting it trying to straighten it. Looks brilliant!

Yeah, I noticed that too, and thought pretty much the same thing. I tried straightening it a little, but breaking it would be much worse than just letting it be.

Thanks for the complement! I thought it turned out pretty well too. Of all of my Marantz receivers, this is the one I have had to put the most work into so far.
 
Wow, that light diffuser was extremely melty! Definitely worth an upgrade to a new piece. Nice work on this one. Any plans to build a wood case for it?
 
Do the LED conversion, at least the fuse lamps that backlight the meters and tuning scale. The incandescent bulbs in there run hot enough to melt the plastic over time. I had to remove the front face and take mine out that way as the plastic was too deformed to get them out the back.
 
That's a beautiful unit! You have a very good friend.
There's one listed now on line for nearly 6 bills!

Durring a conversation a good friend of mine said there's an old Marantz receiver in his Mom's attic and the next time he's there he'll grab it for me. He didn't know the model number. He know's I'm into vitage audio. He said he thinks the pots were a bit noisy but it all worked as far as he could remember.

We'll see what happens.
 
There really isn't anything else, in the history of audio, more beautiful than a vintage Marantz unit.

And I am being totally objective as I don't own any. Sadly enough.

:D

Doug
 
^ I don't either, and probably never will (going rates are too high for my taste and I don't have any friends with spare ones willing to let go of!), although I too find them so beautiful to look at. I'm sure they sound wonderful too. Sansui is supposed to be very close in sound. To that end, I'm quite happy with the AU-719/TU-719. :)
 
One step left- recap it.

That is ultimately the plan. I have a 2220 that I am going to cut my teeth on, and then I will be on to one on my other Marantz receivers, quite possibly this 2250B. We'll see how it goes, but I think I have a lot to learn before I recap this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom