• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Look what i found.

trainbuftony

Electron Herder
Old guy at work said he was looking at some tube amplifiers he had in storage.
I asked him if he had a desire to use them or a buyer, or what caused you to pull em out?
"Sell em", he said
Can I make you an offer?
"Let me go get em"
And now they're mine.
20231013_145233.jpg
I've seen these output transformers go for more than I paid for the 2 power amps and preamp.
Somewhere upstairs I've got the radio and television news where these amps were built from. Or at least I suspect that's the case.
More photos tomorrow.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice,i use to collect the radio and television magazines as well as audio engineering,audio,plus others from that era .i loved the magazines as much as i loved the gear and have a nice collection of them somewhere lol.Now all those mags can be found online but its not the same as turning the pages.
Whats the preamp and the tabletop radio shown in the picture?
 
Tabletop radio is my boom box at work, it's a quasar I think... Not part of the sale.

The preamp I'm not sure on, it appears to be 2 mono preamps stuck together and intensively modified. I'm at my girlfriends place and I'll inspect them closer when I return home
 
Very cool. Just looking at the two mono preamps, those knobs look like what Dynaco used. A couple moddified PAM1's? Or maybe Heathkits?
 
Last edited:
Preamplifier is not a dynaco, nor a Heathkit as I initially suspected. This too is home brew, component stew.
It's got transformers on one input and seems to use top quality parts.
I asked the old man Jerry before I saw them, "are they nicely laid out" he sort of shrugged. So I asked another way "are they as neatly laid out as the Preamplifier I showed you. He laughed out loud and shook his head "not even close"
He also mentioned that he was going to throw in a bunch of other crap because I made a respectful offer that he thought was high...
I'm very excited to see what sort of crap he comes up with... If this is your crap, I'll gladly relieve you of it.20231014_081400.jpg20231014_081346.jpg20231014_080246.jpg20231014_080113.jpg20231014_080109.jpg20231014_080242.jpg20231014_080238.jpg

@Yeeterkeeter.

This here is what you need to keep your eyes peeled for. Talk to every old man that you meet, eventually one will have a stack of gear he wants gone.
This particular old man owned a stereo store in the 70s and through the 80s and he was convinced that all the good stuff was already sold years ago and that nobody really wants that lousy old tube equipment. He lived through the power wars and never really knew the good from the trash when it comes to tube equipment. He was staying up to date on everything that came down the pipe because he had to service all of it, and naturally he as a business needed to move forward and nor look back.
In hindsight there's a lot of good equipment back there...

He's 82, and still works 5 days a week, and he's still as sharp as a tack, and a real hoot at work. Long live Jerry.
 
Last edited:
Preamplifier is not a dynaco, nor a Heathkit as I initially suspected. This too is home brew, component stew.
It's got transformers on one input and seems to use top quality parts.
I asked the old man Jerry before I saw them, "are they nicely laid out" he sort of shrugged. So I asked another way "are they as neatly laid out as the Preamplifier I showed you. He laughed out loud and shook his head "not even close"
He also mentioned that he was going to throw in a bunch of other crap because I made a respectful offer that he thought was high...
I'm very excited to see what sort of crap he comes up with... If this is your crap, I'll gladly relieve you of it.View attachment 3009623View attachment 3009625View attachment 3009626View attachment 3009628View attachment 3009629View attachment 3009630View attachment 3009631

@Yeeterkeeter.

This here is what you need to keep your eyes peeled for. Talk to every old man that you meet, eventually one will have a stack of gear he wants gone.
This particular old man owned a stereo store in the 70s and through the 80s and he was convinced that all the good stuff was already sold years ago and that nobody really wants that lousy old tube equipment. He lived through the power wars and never really knew the good from the trash when it comes to tube equipment. He was staying up to date on everything that came down the pipe because he had to service all of it, and naturally he as a business needed to move forward and nor look back.
In hindsight there's a lot of good equipment back there...

He's 82, and still works 5 days a week, and he's still as sharp as a tack, and a real hoot at work. Long live Jerry.
Well, I got my grandparents retirement community, I could ask around there…

Either way, impressive that he’s still working 5 days a week while being 82. what a long and lovely life to live. I will make sure to keep my eyes peeled
 
Preamplifier is not a dynaco, nor a Heathkit as I initially suspected. This too is home brew, component stew.
It's got transformers on one input and seems to use top quality parts.
I asked the old man Jerry before I saw them, "are they nicely laid out" he sort of shrugged. So I asked another way "are they as neatly laid out as the Preamplifier I showed you. He laughed out loud and shook his head "not even close"
He also mentioned that he was going to throw in a bunch of other crap because I made a respectful offer that he thought was high...
I'm very excited to see what sort of crap he comes up with... If this is your crap, I'll gladly relieve you of it.View attachment 3009623View attachment 3009625View attachment 3009626View attachment 3009628View attachment 3009629View attachment 3009630View attachment 3009631

@Yeeterkeeter.

This here is what you need to keep your eyes peeled for. Talk to every old man that you meet, eventually one will have a stack of gear he wants gone.
This particular old man owned a stereo store in the 70s and through the 80s and he was convinced that all the good stuff was already sold years ago and that nobody really wants that lousy old tube equipment. He lived through the power wars and never really knew the good from the trash when it comes to tube equipment. He was staying up to date on everything that came down the pipe because he had to service all of it, and naturally he as a business needed to move forward and nor look back.
In hindsight there's a lot of good equipment back there...

He's 82, and still works 5 days a week, and he's still as sharp as a tack, and a real hoot at work. Long live Jerry.
Do you have a schematic for the thing?
 
Very cool. Just looking at the two mono preamps, those knobs look like what Dynaco used. A couple moddified PAM1's? Or maybe Heathkits?
The knobs are far from what was used on the dynaco pam mono preamps as those were plastic .You might of been thinking the pas series preamps but those are different as well.
 
The truly sad thing about all of this is that these gorgeous DIY behemoth amplifiers will need to get put on a shelf to collect dust for a while longer. I've already got a front burner project and I can't be distracted from it, I need to see it to completion. It's a set of 4 Acrosound 6l6 amps using TO-300 transformers. Completely DIY.
Here's that project:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/build-an-amp-settle-a-debt.1012492/

As you can see these amplifiers probably found the right person. I'm just very busy and I've found that putting things at their proper place in the queue allows me the time to come up with a better plan than when I drop what I'm doing because and change course because a newer shinier and more powerful gizmo showed up. They won't be collecting dust forever, I'll soon get them back to work, wrapped in hardwood and brought in from my moldy, greasy workshop.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom