• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking at a DIY sub: Shiva, Dayton...

It would seem that you prefer to use an aggressive tone that could readily lead to an argument. I haven’t the care to bother with an argument today.

You are right, I’m lacking in first hand experience. My best friend has in the past built a completely Adire speaker setup, dealt with Adire a few times (phone, email, and in person) and has attended the diy meets they hold at their offices, but what’s second hand experience? Sure, I’ve physically been to Adire’s place of business, I’ve talked with a couple of their employees several times, built a subwoofer with their parts, but, bah, that’s just a few business transactions. They can hardly be called first hand experience, I’m sure.

The company has a few employees, small for small business standards. They’ve grown tremendously and are constantly expanding both nationally and internationally. The people at Adire, including your unnamed Dan Wiggins, are working with thousands of customers (and the handful of irate folks who aren’t happy unless the world kisses their behinds, but those types are everywhere) and trying to work with several big companies who rely on Adire drivers and licensed technologies and setting up a completely new plant down in Chile. I do believe that they’re outpacing their abilities to meet these demands and are beginning to trip up – the failings of success. I guess it is quite possible that someone there forgot to note the conditions your wife needed to pull off what should’ve been a good gift and made the notations obvious and readily visible for any possible phone call follow-ups.

I use Parts Express for small items all the time. Who here hasn’t? But I wonder.

Parts Express... Prompt, professional, quick delivery.

The website is setup so you type in a number of what you want and someone at their place throws it into a box with a couple of air bags to make up the space. They then ship it out. To say the above, isn’t that a bit on par with saying that Amazon is known for having friendly clerks? But then, with the small parts and wires I’ve ordered from PE, there isn’t really anything to be damaged and be required for a return. Nor the need to speak with the designer of a banana plug to properly design a cabinet.

You stand by Titanic, and I’ve heard good things about their driver (I almost went that route as a cheaper, though possibly lower quality route than Adire, until I was given a DPL-12 driver). I guess I have some brand loyalty to Adire despite their failings.

- JP

PS: I'm sorry, I may have missed something as you've been editing.
 
Charivari said:
I haven’t the care to bother with an argument today.


You stand by Titanic, and I’ve heard good things about their driver (I almost went that route as a cheaper, though possibly lower quality route than Adire, until I was given a DPL-12 driver). I guess I have some brand loyalty to Adire despite their failings.

- JP

PS: I'm sorry, I may have missed something as you've been editing.


No care to argue, then why are you??? Hmmm anyway...

Dan Wiggins? That doesn't ring a bell nor did it with my wife. Well whom ever it was, it was always the same person.

Yup, my tone was aggressive and for good reason. Make my wife cry and one will enjoy all sorts of aggressive behavior out of me. She was so upset over it all as she knew how bad I really wanted the drivers and she tried so hard to make it happen. Good thing it is over the internet and not face to face because if it was local... I would have GLADLY gone down to the back yard there and deposited a piece of my mind. Anyway, it wasn't a matter of "someone there" it was the SAME person time and time again. You clearly were not listening and now I am done. I am glad you like their product. I am glad you can make excuses for them all day. Rather easy to do...

Titanic, Adire, Stryke bla, bla, bla, anyone of those are decent sub drivers and would make for a great, cost effective DIY sub. Once again...Ready? I was just offering another point of view for the original poster. Sorry that you don't happen to like it. Such is the internet forum...

Oh hey, you didn't miss a thing really. I took out some of the aggressive tone that throws sensitive folks like you off a bit. :cry: And besides, we all tend to edit from time to time now don't we?

Have a good day now. :pistols:
 
WildWest is not the only one on this forum that had problems with Adire. I ended up with a Titanic due to Adire giving me the runaround for over two months and still never delivering the goods.

You make claims of liking to deal with small operations, then state how they're expanding and working with thousands of customers? Large base for a small company.

Regardless, I think Adire has a great product, but I don't believe they have the infrastructure to give an adequate level of service to a one time buyer like myself. And I expected nothing out of the ordinary- just the delivery of a product they had advertised and I was willing to pay for.

Hmm, maybe that is too much to expect.
 
Reyneman,

Perhaps you are right. I dealt with Adire before they started really going at it, same with my friend. I had that trouble with the mass loading mess-up, but they were kind enough to throw in some free stuffing material (1 lb pillows if you believe it) and they did apologize, which is better than I've received from others. When I did my transactions, it was quick and orderly with one fault of delay being my messing up their hours of operation and showing up just after they closed for the day.

I never said they were small operations, just small in number of employees. I guess they're starting to get a bit too big for their britches (a phrase from when I was very young, but not too long ago.)

I will agree with you that at least some aspects of quality may have gone down -- I certainly dislike their new website that no longer has the tech info and various alignments that used to provide simple to follow diy plans. Do you think it's possible for a small company (again, number of people trying to do too much) can manage the large scale operations needed to survive against the big companies? Then again, is this an age-old argument that has cropped up with just about every successful speaker designer/builder who's gone from the garage to mega-corp?

Messed up orders? Well, I certainly forget too many things and screw up more than my fair share of times, so I may be a bit more forgiving of such things and sympathize a bit with them. Then again, my meagre business experience has been limited in scope to just a couple dozen customers.

Time will tell. My Adire products are in my sub, I had a great experience dealing with them and think the product is good for the money. However, I think my system may be growing beyond that level, so Adire probably is just a thing of my past.

- JP
 
Hey Aaron G... A reminder back on topic course... (sorry for the hiccup in the thread there)

I firmly believe if you buy any of the major player sub drivers and put any one in a enclosure of proven proper design and construction that you will be thrilled with how they perform for the coinage you laid down. Plus, building chit is fun right!? :banana:

I can't WAIT to tear into my dual sub woofer cabinets. Our friend here Billfort did me a nice CAD drawing to meet my exact specs. Now all I have to do is find time to DO IT! :sigh:

Good luck! :thmbsp:
 
Either the Titanic 12 or the Adire DPL12 are stout performers.

I also prefer the passive-radiator alignment; in the custom speaker system I did for "The Doc" a while back, I used a very similar speaker arrangement to what was mentioned above... 12" sub, 15" passive radiator. However, I used a somewhat-larger box than most do with either a Titanic or DPL12 sub... nearly 3 cubic feet. Definitely helped the "room blend" with the woofer... with the large cabinet and the low PR tuning (I wound up with a box tuning of about 16-17 Hz, which corresponded to about 1kg of weight on an Adire PR15), I was able to generate a "quasi-EBS" alignment, which gently "sloped off" gradually starting at 35 Hz, but was only down 6 dB at about 18 Hz, in free-space... this gave an effective in-room f3 of about 15 Hz, measured. Absolutely no problem with pipe organ 32 foot rank tones!

Be aware, that one issue can come up, using these "mega-subs"... if there's a turntable in the system, just the fact that the speaker CAN do 15 Hz, can make for all sorts of acoustic feedback issues from the turntable, in that frequency range. Sometimes, you need to make sure there's some way of attenuating the response below 20 Hz, just to keep the turntable from flailing away down there...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Charivari said:
Sorry 'bout that AaronG, I neglected to mention that the DPL-12 is another one of Adire's offerings. It would appear that Adire has dumbed down their website substantially, so I cannot find the page they used to have with the specs on this driver. I think it has a resonant frequency of ~16 Hz, an Xmax of around 15 mm, and dual voice coils. It's effectively an updated Shiva, so far as I'm concerned. It was designed for dipole use (less noise, better looks, tougher, more oomph, lower reach, XBL^2,etc), which really upped the in-box performance.

AdireDPL12rear.jpg


I think it's a pretty good buy, being the same price as the Shiva, though the efficiency is different.

- JP

Sorry, had to convert to JPG to upload, but here it is now.

Here is the Adire sales brochure for the DPL-12, if anyone is interested.
 
Last edited:
Charivari said:
Do you think it's possible for a small company (again, number of people trying to do too much) can manage the large scale operations needed to survive against the big companies? Then again, is this an age-old argument that has cropped up with just about every successful speaker designer/builder who's gone from the garage to mega-corp?

They might have a serious bottleneck in terms of insufficient manpower. As good as anyone is, they can only handle so much before they crack. I have never bought a product from Adire, but know their overall reputation on audio forums is a positive one. Of course they will have some fumbles, but all companies do. I don't have enough experience with them personally to counter anything that has been said.
 
WildWest said:
Hey Aaron G... A reminder back on topic course... (sorry for the hiccup in the thread there)

I firmly believe if you buy any of the major player sub drivers and put any one in a enclosure of proven proper design and construction that you will be thrilled with how they perform for the coinage you laid down. Plus, building chit is fun right!? :banana:

I agree, there are many possibilities for me out there and I am sure I'd be happy with most, if not all, of them. So I just need to decide on something and run with it, esp since this will be my first HT sub project. I have nothing else to compare to, so feel compelled to start somewhere and build my way up. Also, building things is way fun - I am looking forward to making this one nice sub cabinet.
 
Back
Top Bottom