• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Looking for a “Step-Up” from a Dual 1218.

AdamITR

Well-Known Member
Looking for a “Step-Up” from a Dual 1218 - Pics now.

Looking for a “Step-Up” from a Dual 1218.

Currently using a Dual 1218 TT, works well, sometimes get’s stuck and won’t turn off … but otherwise okay. Don’t know what cartridge is on it …

I think I’m ready for something better … budget around $350. Can anyone steer me in the right direction … used or new?

Using a Kenwood KA7100 Integrated, and a variety of speakers.

Thanks much!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
There are many. If you like idler-wheel tables (like your 1218) some of the Garrards are nice: Zero-100 or Lab95 comes to mind-or you could probably find a re-furbished DUAL 1219 or 1019 in your price range. Those are awfully nice and won't have the hardened grease like your 1218. You could also send the 1218 out for a re-build.

There are tons of Direct-drive and belt drive turntables out there as well. You could probably find a nice AR-Xa or Xb in your price range, or any one of several very nice JVC (QL-A7 comes to mind) Technics, Pioneer (Pl-71,PL-41 or PL-12D, PL-530) Harman Kardon made some good ones as did Luxman... I could go on but others will chime in also-Might help to mention what kind of music you listen to, and if you need to include a cartridge at that price.
 
Thanks for the ideas ... yes I would need a cartridge, music: Jackson Browne, Beatles, Steely Dan, etc. I don't think I want another idle style TT...
 
Not to steer you away from your want of a new table but why not fix the issues with table you have before you just cast it off. The 1218 is a decent table that many people really like. Putting a new needle and cart on it (considering you have no clue what is on it probably means it needed to be replaced a long time ago) and fixing the not stopping issue will more than likely increase your enjoyment of the table to the point you won't want to get a new one just for the sake of replacing what you already have.
 
Not to steer you away from your want of a new table but why not fix the issues with table you have before you just cast it off. The 1218 is a decent table that many people really like. Putting a new needle and cart on it (considering you have no clue what is on it probably means it needed to be replaced a long time ago) and fixing the not stopping issue will more than likely increase your enjoyment of the table to the point you won't want to get a new one just for the sake of replacing what you already have.

Truth! I'd get it re-worked and try it- in good shape and re-furbished you'll get decent money for it if you decide you still want a change.

In addition, I like to listen to music on a "period-correct" turntable when I can- it sounds good to me that way- a late seventies TT may be just the thing for you and there are many.
 
Not to steer you away from your want of a new table but why not fix the issues with table you have before you just cast it off. The 1218 is a decent table that many people really like. Putting a new needle and cart on it (considering you have no clue what is on it probably means it needed to be replaced a long time ago) and fixing the not stopping issue will more than likely increase your enjoyment of the table to the point you won't want to get a new one just for the sake of replacing what you already have.

Hmm ... never thought of it that way ... I could do that. Recommendations for a Cart. that is good. I'll take a pic of the current one ... maybe someone can identify ... came with the table when I got it (still have orig. boxes, etc, lol).
 
Pics:

tt.jpg


Cart??

cart.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom