• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for a decent, inexpensive bourbon

guitarslam

Sonic Moron
My partner & I are going stateside (Washington & Oregon) in a couple weeks. She usually brings back a bottle or two of wine & I usually bring back a box of Henry Weinhard's when we return from the US.

This trip I'd like to get some bourbon (not JD, Wild Turkey, or Jim Beam - we have that here in Canada) instead of beer. I'm looking to spend $20-$30 (give or take) for a 40-oz bottle.

What I'm seeking is something that is both easy on the gut & my wallet.
Any suggestions/recommendations?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The best deal in my opinion is Elmer T. Lee Bourbon. Only place in Oregon/Washington I have had success in getting it is at the Pearl District Wine and Spirits liquor store in Portland Oregon. I have tried to get other liquor stores to get it but they don't have it. They have a great selection of specialty stuff that you don't see a lot. Lots of local whiskey's and Bourbons made right here in Portland Metro area are stocked there.

I think it is 33.00 a bottle. I'm no expert but I've tried a lot of good stuff up to 100.00 a bottle and it's the smoothest, best deal for the price.

Lots of cool places to get a cocktail and eat down here too. Have a blast.

Pappy Van Winkle is really good too....
 
Last edited:
Will definitely be in Portland, and will have to check out that wine & spirits store.
Look forward to the local brews and cuisine too!
 
As a Tennessee Squire I'm bound to recommend Jack Daniels. Personally I like scotch or vodka IF I drink liquor. If Jack is not a option I've heard Bulleit is good.
 
As a Tennessee Squire I'm bound to recommend Jack Daniels. Personally I like scotch or vodka IF I drink liquor. If Jack is not a option I've heard Bulleit is good.

As much as I like JD, it ain't Bourbon since it ain't from Kentucky!
 
I have a way you can get two bottles within what you are asking...

If you want to get a GOOD Bourbon, go ahead ad spend about $50 and get a bottle of Booker's for those special occasions you want to impress a guest with something fine from the states..

Then since you spent exta for that bottle, get a bottle a little cheaper than what you are asking for price range wise. It's hard to go wrong with a bottle of Rare Eagle. It's about $15 or so.. .so what you saved here on something very smooth and drinkable, you can also get you a bottle of something really good at the same time.


Bookers.jpg


250px-Eagle_Rare.JPG
 
Last edited:
Oh.. and while you are coming down you can bring me a bottle of Screech for turing you onto these :D
 
Just returned from the Portland trip.

After several minutes of decision making at the Pearl district liquor store, I decided on a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Also picked up a few cigars.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
I will use this information on my next trip to the US.

FWIW, the B.T. is very fine, with a brandy-like finish - will definitely enjoy this bottle.
 
Just returned from the Portland trip.

After several minutes of decision making at the Pearl district liquor store, I decided on a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Also picked up a few cigars.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
I will use this information on my next trip to the US.

FWIW, the B.T. is very fine, with a brandy-like finish - will definitely enjoy this bottle.

You did well. Buffalo Trace isn't consistently winning 'Distiller of the Year' awards without good reason.
 
Back
Top Bottom