• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for a decent, inexpensive bourbon

Seconds on the rec from Onepixel on the Bulleit Bourbon

Bulleit also makes a green label straight RYE whiskey that is on my list to try.
 
The 10 and 17 year old versions of Buffalo Trace KSBW are packaged as the Eagle Rare brand.

Indeed. Somehow, I prefer the regular Buffalo Trace to Eagle Rare 10. To me, it seems to have a drier, rye bite that I like. Eagle Rare 10 is very good, but perhaps even a bit too smooth for my tastes. FWIW, sale prices around here are about $16 and $21 for BT and ER10, respectively.

As for Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 y.o., its vintage year somehow makes a distinct difference in taste. The heralded 2000 vintage (bottled and sold in 2010) was extremely well balanced, if a bit sweet for my tastes. It was a tremendous bargain at the local sale price of ~$17. The 2001 was a slight step down and the 2002 has simply far too much wood char flavor for my palate.

Overall, for the money (and my palate), Buffalo Trace is my go-to KSBW. It ain't a fancy package, but it is a rock solid whisk(e)y.
 
Last edited:
I know this thread has passed it's due date but I recently picked up a bottle of Four Roses "Yellow Label" bourbon for $22 here in NYC. I know it is the entry level FR bourbon but I liked it better than other bourbons I have paid more for. I agree that the Weller series is an excellent value, "poor man's Van Winkle", I have taken to calling it. I'll have to try some Buffalo Trace next time I get a chance.
 
Indeed. Somehow, I prefer the regular Buffalo Trace to Eagle Rare 10. To me, it seems to have a drier, rye bite that I like. Eagle Rare 10 is very good, but perhaps even a bit too smooth for my tastes. FWIW, sale prices around here are about $16 and $21 for BT and ER10, respectively.

As for Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 y.o., its vintage year somehow makes a distinct difference in taste. The heralded 2000 vintage (bottled and sold in 2010) was extremely well balanced, if a bit sweet for my tastes. It was a tremendous bargain at the local sale price of ~$17. The 2001 was a slight step down and the 2002 has simply far too much wood char flavor for my palate.

Overall, for the money (and my palate), Buffalo Trace is my go-to KSBW. It ain't a fancy package, but it is a rock solid whisk(e)y.

Agreed, and the Elmer T Lee another fellow mentioned is awful good for the money...also comes from Buffalo Trace...

Russellc
 
A 'heads up' from Chuck Cowdery...

When producers drop age statements from their labels, they always swear the product is still as old as it used to be but that inevitably changes. So if you see a bottle of Weller Special Reserve that says '7 years in wood,' buy it, because the new ones don't say that.
 
I've tried about all the cheap stuff from Bulleit on down to old crow and all
things considered I prefer George Dickel Black. It has a nice mellow vanilla
oak aged flavor, not too sweet, and it treats me right the next day.
 
Back
Top Bottom