• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Looking for a new low watt receiver any suggestions?? I’ve been looking at the sansui 350a

Tyler Prock

Member
Looking for a second receiver to pair with some herseys that have been modified with a more responsive driver and a dial in knob for the middle tweeters. Going in a very small space (my office) I’ve been looking at the sansui 350a but in a world where I can’t hear much of what I’m buying I would like suggestions, conformation on the reciever iam looking, or negative opinions on said reciever. To give you an idea of what I like I run a pioneer sx 1010 and cornwalls as my primary set up, and I previously had a sansui 5000 that I also loved. Need something relatively inexpensive will have it completely restore to factory specs. So let me know guys!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm really liking my almost restored Pioneer SX-700T. This is apparently from the first line of SS receivers made by Pioneer in the late 60's and doesn't get the love that some of the later models do. But that being said, it's 25 WPC at 8 ohms, can handle any speakers between 4-16 ohms, has a unique look with the wood grain front and top combined with real wood side panels, and is really easy to work on. I have to admit, the service manual is one of the best I've ever seen, with full detailed schematics, along with illustrations of what the underside of each board and its traces should look like. All the components (or suitable substitutes) are available, including NOS output transistors for less than $10 a throw. I will note that it shares with my SX - 828 the same spade plug speaker connectors, which may be a PITA to round up, but since I have the 828, I also have a pair of the adapters. I guess the SX - 828 and lower power models must have been the follow up series to this one. Lastly, not feeling the love means you can pick these up relatively cheap...Restore thread is here...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr
 
I'm really liking my almost restored Pioneer SX-700T. This is apparently from the first line of SS receivers made by Pioneer in the late 60's and doesn't get the love that some of the later models do. But that being said, it's 25 WPC at 8 ohms, can handle any speakers between 4-16 ohms, has a unique look with the wood grain front and top combined with real wood side panels, and is really easy to work on. I have to admit, the service manual is one of the best I've ever seen, with full detailed schematics, along with illustrations of what the underside of each board and its traces should look like. All the components (or suitable substitutes) are available, including NOS output transistors for less than $10 a throw. I will note that it shares with my SX - 828 the same spade plug speaker connectors, which may be a PITA to round up, but since I have the 828, I also have a pair of the adapters. I guess the SX - 828 and lower power models must have been the follow up series to this one. Lastly, not feeling the love means you can pick these up relatively cheap...Restore thread is here...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr
how the tone on this receiver?? Anything it’s comparable too?
 
Sansui 800, 1000x.
The 800 has a lot of body to the sound, especially at the lower end.

1000x is beautiful, not physically imposing, versatile with pre out/amp in and a lovely tone.
 
Last edited:
Sansui 800, 1000x.
The 800 has a lot of body to the sound, especially at the lower end.

1000x is beautiful, not physically imposing, versatile with pre out/amp in and a lovely tone.
Have you ever heard the 350a? If so how’s it stack up to these other models you mentioned?
 
I had a Sony STR-7025 until recently (passed it on to a friend). It's an 18-watt model and seems to be quite well built. I used it with a pair of high efficiency Dahlquist DQM-9's, and those speakers never sounded better on any other amp or receiver I tried them on. These lower watt Sony models tend to sell for much less than the other, more popular brands. I have another from this series (STR-7055), and both are very nice sounding units. The little 7025 is all original, other than cleaning controls, and it works perfectly well. I see a couple 7025's and step-up 7035's on eBay at the moment.

image1.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Some of the analog Vector Research receivers can be had for a song and apparently they sound pretty damn good as well.
 
If you can find an Akai, a sleeper, give it a shot. I have an AKAI AA-1030 that has trounced an expensive Arcam.
00505_fGl3Nqv2qUsz_0CI0gH_600x450.jpg
 
I recently restored a Toshiba SA-750 and it really sounded good! A bonus was with new lighting it really looked great too!
 
I have to suggest the Marantz 2220. I picked one up at a great price was extremely surprised how well it sounded for its advertised wattage. Loud enough and of course sounded great. Good luck.
 
Luxman r-113. Very well built, sounds great, but it does not have that warm sound of old Sansui receivers
 
Ditto on the 7100, 7200 Sherwoods. I have some wharfedale w70's hooked up to a 7100a, makes a nice combo.
Beaten like a rented mule. I third the Sherwood S7100 and S7200, but would add any of the little HK Twin Power receivers. I think they sound great too.
 
Back
Top Bottom